News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 Core i7-1065G7 Review: Faster Than Any XPS 13 Before It

Started by Redaktion, October 05, 2019, 21:50:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With mobile AMD Ryzen finally catching up to Intel's long-running ULV Core U series, all eyes have been on Ice Lake and Comet Lake-U to see how Intel would respond. Pressure has been on Dell to knock it out of the park with its second generation XPS 13 2-in-1 especially since it is the first to ship with the Ice Lake Core i7-1065G7. The flagship convertible mostly succeeds with a few caveats.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-7390-2-in-1-Core-i7-1065G7-Review-Faster-Than-Any-XPS-13-Before-It.436573.0.html

Ron B.

Ice Lake is promising, but this Dell isn't nearly as so because of the lack of ports.  Would prefer a 1x USB-A, 2x USB-C (TB3) to to maximize options for charging, connecting needed peripherals, and hooking up tn another monitor.  2 TB3 ports is too low.

Vit

@Notebookcheck:

As a developer, 99% of time I use my laptop just as a portable desktop system block. So usually the laptop is attached to a large monitor, while laptop lid is closed.

Is it correct to say that, due to heat output nosels position in this model, my usage scenario of keeping the lid closed would cause serious performance degradation and loud fan?

william blake

"The display backlight flickers at 2500 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 25 % and below"

and you count is as cons?
i found it very unprofessional. do you even know sombody with <25% brightness on his laptop?

A.

S.Yu

Finally there's a material performance gain in this form factor compared to the 4770HQ in VAIO Z Canvas.

Cody

I'm pretty sure Dell opted for 15W, not 25W. Even in your screenshot of GPUz it shows TDP 15W. What's your source to show Dell is using 25W here?

Sukhoi

Quote from: Cody on October 07, 2019, 00:43:06
I'm pretty sure Dell opted for 15W, not 25W. Even in your screenshot of GPUz it shows TDP 15W. What's your source to show Dell is using 25W here?
HWinfo shows more than 30W, yet the performance looks more like 15W than 25W, so maybe Ice Lake's power reporting is a bit weird after 4 years of Skylake power reporting

Andres

I have the new XPS 13 7390 clamshell in the i5 8GB RAM configuration. I have noticed some lag when I try to change the screen brightness and the battery estimation varies wildly (from 30h+ to <10h in a few minutes difference while only using word processor), and a few other minor issues. I would like to know if your review units of the XPS 13 2-in-1 also experienced this issues or if it's normal and I should just be happy with my unit.
Thanks

HwGeek

QuoteOffer comparable raw performance to the 35 W AMD Ryzen 7 3700U at a higher performance-per-Watt

Found a typo, the 3700U is 15W while the 3750H is 35W and it offers better sustained CPU/GPU performance by your charts.
Maybe that's why MS went with 3780U with Vega11 instead of this 100C cpu.

ryo4ever

Good article with a lot of information to digest. I have the top specs 7390 2 in 1 model and my CPU throttles a lot under heavy load. In the article:

"When running Prime95, clock rates cycle between 2.9 and 3.5 GHz for the first minute or so before stabilizing at 3.0 to 3.1 GHz thereafter. "

Mine would never get that kind of stustained frequency... Under Prime95, it would hover around 2.4-2.5 GHz. I wonder what could be the reason for the lower score... I know factory thermal paste degradation could also be the reason... Anyone who has the 7390 would like to chip in?

Update: Under HWinfo, I get CPU Power limit 'yes' on all 4 cores... What does it mean and does anyone know how can I fix that?

crespi

Quote from: Andres on October 07, 2019, 08:41:13
I have the new XPS 13 7390 clamshell in the i5 8GB RAM configuration. I have noticed some lag when I try to change the screen brightness and the battery estimation varies wildly (from 30h+ to <10h in a few minutes difference while only using word processor), and a few other minor issues. I would like to know if your review units of the XPS 13 2-in-1 also experienced this issues or if it's normal and I should just be happy with my unit.
Thanks

Hi Andres, I am interested in buying the XPS 13 7390 clamshell version myself. Could you please list all the minor issues you mentioned in your post? Anything that is particularly problematic? Thanks!

Dupont

This ultra-thin Dell XPS laptop is running at 15W mode, not at 25W as stated. Whatever happened to the idle and video playback tests?

SA_NYC

I've had this exact model for a month now and I'm getting absolutely nowhere near the battery life I read about in reviews including this very thorough one. I'm getting 3-4 hours of time while at work, running productivity apps (spreadsheets and browsers primarily). The screen is really bright and very nice, but even when I drop it a notch or two it doesn't seem to add too much to battery runtime. What am I doing wrong?? I am definitely a power user but I'm not doing anything graphical. I've even installed Great Suspender in an effort to tame power consumption from my ~40 open Chrome tabs. That doesn't seem to have done the trick either.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview