News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo IdeaPad S540-15IWL Review: A great all-rounder with only one real weakness

Started by Redaktion, October 03, 2019, 00:23:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Brezemil

I don't get it. The sound signature is consistently lower in the highs than, for example, of the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme. Then why should the noise be high-pitched?

SpaceSwede

The fan noice can be mitigated by lovering the allowed max cpu percentage in advanced power options under power profiles, to 97% or less. This stopps the CPU from entering Turbo Boost mode. Also change cooling principle from active to passive.

Choose the whisper mode by cycling the Fn + Q combination.

I updated to the latest BIOS, not sure if it helped but the advanced power profiles sure did. The fan only engages once in a while at a low setting. A totally quiet computer most of the time, while browsing the web and watching the tube.
I was about to return the computer, but I'm actually considering keeping it.
If only there was a way to allow the cores to run a few degrees hotter this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Rodrigo

The solution I´ve found for the fan´s noise is disabling the discrete graphic card from the BIOS.
In the BIOS go to configuration tab, now under graphics Device press enter, select device as UMA only. This will disable NIVIDIA graphics driver and switch to integrated graphics only.

Of course for gaming the graphic card should be turn back on.

Robert54

I sometimes wonder where notebookcheck.com get their pricing and availability.
Not available at all in Ireland or Italy from Lenovo.
Also, good luck trying to get a US / EU international Keyboard on this one (or any other laptop) anywhere in the EU.
Anyone can give some suggestion on where to get a US / EU int. Keyboard laptops? I live in Italy, but any reputable EU (euro area) store would be OK.
Dell Italy's web store is a no-go. There is no sale support whatsoever, no chat, no phone, nada!! Shameful for such a large company.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!

Andrea

With only one RAM slot, how much is upgradable? from the Lenovo website it states up to 12 GB of RAM

Biniu

this notebook has extra port m.2 2242 for secound  harddisk. someone put in ? Working with two m.2 disk ?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview