News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Tiger Lake U processor annihilates the Core i7-8665U and Ryzen 7 3700U in UserBenchmark, scores up to 13% more than the Core i9-9980HK in the process

Started by Redaktion, August 20, 2019, 13:07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Tiger Lake U is not expected to arrive until Q2 2021 at the earliest, but two listings have already appeared on UserBenchmark, and they put the current crop of mobile processors to shame. Tiger Lake U is likely to be Intel's first 15 W chips to be built on a 10 nm FinFET process and will feature Gen12 Intel UHD Graphics too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Tiger-Lake-U-processor-annihilates-the-Core-i7-8665U-and-Ryzen-7-3700U-in-UserBenchmark-scores-up-to-13-more-than-the-Core-i9-9980HK-in-the-process.430869.0.html

jeremy

Why is the claim, "Tiger Lake is likely to be the first Intel 15W U series 10nm FinFET product" made? Hasn't Ice Lake already globally launched in the XPS 13 7390 (not exactly a low volume product, like Cannon Lake was)?

I know Ice Lake doesn't exactly use "U" in it's naming scheme, but it fills the remaining "15W 10nm FinFET" requirements. If we're being pedantic, Cannon Lake U does, as well.

Tim922

I don't know what's next anymore

Ice lake: september release? 10nm only U seriers?
Comet lake: ??
Tiger lake: ???

Garboozo

Notebookcheck, you need to be aware that userbenchmark has totally changed their rating system and their numbers.

I am not allowed to post links but simply googling "userbenchnark controversy" will clue you in.

You need to take this with a massive grain of salt. UB is not a valid source.

Angelo_

That's going to compete with the zen 3 based ryzen mobile since it's supposed to be release in Q2 2021 and ryzen mobile is 1 gen behind desktop, I'm not sure it'd even defeat a 4700u tbh, the 3700u is zen+, zen+-> zen 2 is a pretty big jump amd it probably will be the zen 2 -> zen 3 one too

Astar

I yawned at "...arrive in Q2 2021".

What a joke! This is clearly planted by Intel because they have nothing else to do. We can't even imagine what it will be competing against! AMD will be at Zen 3 or 4 with 5nm or even 3nm by then!

This is pathetic by Intel!

DavidB

Newton Firefly

All of the comments have read here, have valid points to consider.
However, most are not aware of the step in a process of development and finalization of a product.
Intel has numerous lines of development going simultaneously. Each line of development takes several years from initial stages to completion and mass production.
My basis is from my EE design experience and knowledge. Most of my experience is in developing 'edge of technology' equipment including full custom IC's using unique in-house processes. It takes about three years from initial detail circuit designs through to getting fabricated chips. There are earlier stages of design prior too. This is using an established, developed, mature process. Intel, AMD and others have continuing development and improvements in the process also which have to merge with the new designs too.

So, having a working chip to for early testing in the public domain is for a marketing promotion, clearly. They want to give the public a view how much Intel is improving and competing, especially since their development of smaller a geometry process has had numerous delays, and their performance improvements have been less too, such that AMD has not only caught up, but surpassed them.
Now, Intel seems to be back on par with AMD, and in some areas or aspects ahead. The two seem much more 'neck and neck' currently.
As We know, the AMD team is smaller, and have less amount of people to be able to develop as many, varied, variations as Intel. AMD has their general CPU designs and their GPU also, which they have been mostly competing with Nvidia. As Intel has been integrating GPU, this seems to have allowed them to entered into competition with both in their announcement of Xe GPU.
This is impressive too.
Yes, agreed, when the writer of this article stated the Tiger Lake will be the first 10nm production CPU's it is clearly contrary to the other articles and information from Intel which clearly state Ice Lake [available in devices now, mid 2019] are using the new 10nm process and other updates including a newer architecture and GPU. Unusual for Intel is to have the early release of a new generation to be low voltage variants, especially the U and Y, which are the ones available currently.

After reading the comments, read the short description of the author, which seems to be a self description.
Then is became much clearer, as many authors of and in these 'technical' equipment and devices publishings.
They, like this author (self-claimed), are often aware and keeping 'up', 'abreast' of new technology, mostly from a non-technical expertise, and as a user of technology. As this author states, changes his devices often, seemingly as the 'new' devices become available. However, does not know the actual technical benefits, nor have much clarity as to the actual benefits to the user either.

This article is mostly a collection of a number of marketing based information to inform the public of some developments, specifically of these Intel CPU's and how they are reported to compare with some other existing ones.
It is however, actually more marketing based and not very technical based nor a very good performance based compilation either.

This may be what many also notice and detect, and am pointing out what You already know too.

Thus, it has become much clearer to me, how these writers of various magazines and publications have been stating very little actual technical information, and actually are not able to lead nor advise nor critique nor evaluate these devices properly.

All The Best and Much Success.
Sincerely,
:-)

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Newton Firefly on September 01, 2019, 18:32:06
All of the comments have read here, have valid points to consider.
However, most are not aware of the step in a process of development and finalization of a product.
Intel has numerous lines of development going simultaneously. Each line of development takes several years from initial stages to completion and mass production.
My basis is from my EE design experience and knowledge. Most of my experience is in developing 'edge of technology' equipment including full custom IC's using unique in-house processes. It takes about three years from initial detail circuit designs through to getting fabricated chips. There are earlier stages of design prior too. This is using an established, developed, mature process. Intel, AMD and others have continuing development and improvements in the process also which have to merge with the new designs too.

So, having a working chip to for early testing in the public domain is for a marketing promotion, clearly. They want to give the public a view how much Intel is improving and competing, especially since their development of smaller a geometry process has had numerous delays, and their performance improvements have been less too, such that AMD has not only caught up, but surpassed them.
Now, Intel seems to be back on par with AMD, and in some areas or aspects ahead. The two seem much more 'neck and neck' currently.
As We know, the AMD team is smaller, and have less amount of people to be able to develop as many, varied, variations as Intel. AMD has their general CPU designs and their GPU also, which they have been mostly competing with Nvidia. As Intel has been integrating GPU, this seems to have allowed them to entered into competition with both in their announcement of Xe GPU.
This is impressive too.
Yes, agreed, when the writer of this article stated the Tiger Lake will be the first 10nm production CPU's it is clearly contrary to the other articles and information from Intel which clearly state Ice Lake [available in devices now, mid 2019] are using the new 10nm process and other updates including a newer architecture and GPU. Unusual for Intel is to have the early release of a new generation to be low voltage variants, especially the U and Y, which are the ones available currently.

After reading the comments, read the short description of the author, which seems to be a self description.
Then is became much clearer, as many authors of and in these 'technical' equipment and devices publishings.
They, like this author (self-claimed), are often aware and keeping 'up', 'abreast' of new technology, mostly from a non-technical expertise, and as a user of technology. As this author states, changes his devices often, seemingly as the 'new' devices become available. However, does not know the actual technical benefits, nor have much clarity as to the actual benefits to the user either.

This article is mostly a collection of a number of marketing based information to inform the public of some developments, specifically of these Intel CPU's and how they are reported to compare with some other existing ones.
It is however, actually more marketing based and not very technical based nor a very good performance based compilation either.

This may be what many also notice and detect, and am pointing out what You already know too.

Thus, it has become much clearer to me, how these writers of various magazines and publications have been stating very little actual technical information, and actually are not able to lead nor advise nor critique nor evaluate these devices properly.

All The Best and Much Success.
Sincerely,
:-)

Thanks for the insight. Must be the longest comment I've read on here.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview