News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 15 7590 OLED Power Consumption Measurements: White Can Be Almost Two Times More Demanding Than Other Colors

Started by Redaktion, August 17, 2019, 07:47:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Because of the way OLED works, it may be worth changing white backgrounds to something darker especially if your commonly used applications or web pages are predominately white. At the most extreme, white at maximum brightness will consume almost 14 W more than if the screen were only black.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-7590-OLED-Power-Consumption-Measurements-White-Can-Be-Almost-Two-Times-More-Demanding-Than-Other-Colors.430835.0.html

splus

Intersting findings, but I'd like to know the total battery life of OLED laptop at 50% brightness (that's the typical usage, max brightness is too bright) with MS Word idling, compared to the same laptop with the IPS 4K display.

So basically, to know the battery life of OLED vs IPS in a TYPICAL use scenario.
Everyone just says you should use dark mode with OLED display, but no one says what's the actual difference in battery life at 50% brightness when using a typical app such as MS Word (with white paper, of course).

A

On the bright side, they seem to have improved the power consumption of blue by quite a bit. Of course that might simply be the difference between AMOLED and these new OLED screens.

@splus - I always switch to black paper when typing in LibreOffice. : /

Bennyg

The 17" 4K (B173ZAN01.0, IPS) I have on my big DTR easily uses 15+ Watt more at full brightness (which is a nice 400nit) by my estimates about 25-30W all on its own, and the bottom area of the lid where the circuitry is located gets rather warm over time.

On a normal laptop that'd kill battery life dead but on a desktop cpu 9900K / SLI monster that idles eating 80W (30W of which is GPU1 clocking up when an external 4K monitor is also connected) that has stuff all battery life to start with, it is not such a problem.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview