News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Yoga 920-13IKB (i7-8550U, FHD) Convertible Review

Started by Redaktion, November 02, 2017, 07:23:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Watchband-hinged 2-in-1. Lenovo's flagship consumer convertible with 13.9-inch screen now comes with Kaby Lake R hardware and a few other noteworthy updates. Our review takes a look how the Yoga 920 compares to other 2-in-1s as far as performance, battery life, and fan noise are concerned.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-920-13IKB-i7-8550U-FHD-Convertible-Review.260198.0.html

Rem

Since there are two TB3 ports side-by-side, they are likely x4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)#Thunderbolt_3

dthrp

TB3 x4 combined, not separately. Meaning that if one slot is using x2 PCIe the other one is left with x2. This is the case for all laptops with more than dual TB3 ports atm.

XatriXSK

Maintenance manual for yoga 920, page 43, confirms that SSD can be upgraded. But it is located on the other side of the mainboard. You need to unplug battery, speakers, side IO board, wifi antennas and maybe some other cables in order to remove the board.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga920-13ikb_yoga920-13ikbglass_hmm_201709.pdf

Jefflalfuer

I am a new owner of the Yoga 920. I have been disappointed with the color of my FHD display. Is the ICM file you link AUO_B139HAN03_0 the X-Rite calibrated ICC?

Appreciate your time.

Jeff

luc

Why HWinfo detects only 4 cores??? It should be 8 cores - 4 phisical and 4 virtual.

Bernie Pechlaner

Quote from: Jefflalfuer on November 04, 2017, 04:42:04
I am a new owner of the Yoga 920. I have been disappointed with the color of my FHD display. Is the ICM file you link AUO_B139HAN03_0 the X-Rite calibrated ICC?

Appreciate your time.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for not answering sooner....
The answer is yes - we always attach the calibrated ICC for each notebook we review.

Thanks,

Bernie

Malcolm

Is there a difference in drawing resolution between the FHD and 4K UHD screens?

I'm tempted to go with the i5 FHD model for the increased battery life, but might "upgrade" if the drawing experience was enhanced with the UHD screen.

Thanx!

PG

Is there much real world difference between the i5 and i7 models, outside of gaming? I would be using this for office work and occasional Lightroom and Photoshop use.

dthrp

@PG: Not at all.

@Malcolm: UHD mostly enhances text and vector graphics sharpness. Image and video quality enhancements on a small 14" display when viewing 4K content wouldn't be perceptible even when you're staring an inch from the display. Therefore assuming numbers like brightness, contrast and color accuracy are equal, going with the FHD screen will not take away from drawing experience.

Also, there are minimal battery life differences between same laptops with Intel i3, i5 and i7 U-series CPUs because faster chips take less time to boost and reach a ceiling frequency before dropping back to its base clock, consuming similar amount of power as a slower chip. Though this isn't the case for 35+ W TDP HQ/K-series chips.

flipacoin

Can you please review the updated Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14" with 8th gen and MX150? Thanks.

dobrin

Hi,
Does anyone knows about the UHD variant - which display panel is using .. cannot find any reviews.
Thanks

Vr

Lenovo laptops are not the same old IBM workhorses. Quality is exceedingly low, and service not up to the mark.
For my business use, I purchased a high end Lenovo Yoga 900 (in the $1400 range) which immediately after it's 1 yr warranty was over, refused to power up or charge.
The Lenovo service center is charging me $80 just to figure out the problem, and has suggested a possible $400 for eventual repair.

No other brand I've purchased has given such a terrible experience - Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Apple.
Why would someone buy a $1500 Lenovo when even the cheapest $300 HP machine doesn't go bust after a year?

Lenovo refused to repair it or even tell me what is wrong - free of charge.

anonyu

Quote from: Vr on December 26, 2017, 21:10:34
Lenovo laptops are not the same old IBM workhorses. Quality is exceedingly low, and service not up to the mark.
For my business use, I purchased a high end Lenovo Yoga 900 (in the $1400 range) which immediately after it's 1 yr warranty was over, refused to power up or charge.
The Lenovo service center is charging me $80 just to figure out the problem, and has suggested a possible $400 for eventual repair.

No other brand I've purchased has given such a terrible experience - Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Apple.
Why would someone buy a $1500 Lenovo when even the cheapest $300 HP machine doesn't go bust after a year?

Lenovo refused to repair it or even tell me what is wrong - free of charge.
If you want almost same as IBM quality then get Thinkpad series, not some fancy pants like yoga lineups. That is what they acquired from IBM and they are business laptop so that's why it's more durable than usual.
Other laptop is just pretty much lottery, it may break anytime depending on how much daily abuse.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview