News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI GT72VR 6RE-015US Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2016, 06:20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Pascal power. The GT72S has been renewed as the GT72VR in time for Nvidia's all-powerful mobile Pascal series. While some new features have been added, a few have also been removed to make room for the higher-end GT73VR.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-6RE-015US-Notebook-Review.171103.0.html

GT72S 6QD User

Is the MXM GPU of the Old GT72S models with 970m upgradable to the gtx 10 series?

seemsnotgood

OLD MSI-GT 72S
(4x M.2, 1x 2.5-inch SATA III, 1x ODD).

New MSI-GT72VR
(1x M.2, 1x 2.5-inch SATA III, 1x ODD). with no RAID options.

this really sucks ... why should you reduce the M.2 Sloth?
that was one of the main features of GT 72 (Super RAID 4)

and now they only support 1x M.2 ... MSI made a real bad mistake

instead of going forward msi goes backwards... pfff

Scaevola

When I first heard about the GT72VR, I was worried by the fact that I just bought a GT72S two months ago for the same price but the differences are highly noticeable.

Are the any other differences between GT72S and GT72VR?

-No NVMe support (correct me if I'm wrong)
-No RAID support
-No graphics card switching
-No Thunderbolt (and Display Port) support
-SSD downgrade from NVMe to SATA
-CPU downgrade from i7-6820 to i7-6700
-ODD downgrade from Bluray to DVD

I wonder how quickly GTX 980M will get obsolete compared to GTX 1070

seemsnotoke

I am really looking forward to read the MSI GT73VR with 4K 1080 review

sky

Quote from: Scaevola on August 18, 2016, 12:19:07
When I first heard about the GT72VR, I was worried by the fact that I just bought a GT72S two months ago for the same price but the differences are highly noticeable.

Are the any other differences between GT72S and GT72VR?

-No NVMe support (correct me if I'm wrong)
-No RAID support
-No graphics card switching
-No Thunderbolt (and Display Port) support
-SSD downgrade from NVMe to SATA
-CPU downgrade from i7-6820 to i7-6700
-ODD downgrade from Bluray to DVD

I wonder how quickly GTX 980M will get obsolete compared to GTX 1070

SSD support NVMe & SATA

Spec:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro.html#hero-specification

Miguel Pereira

Was the screen in this really the 120hz one? Did you confirm this when doing the review?

from what i've understand, the 120hz G-Sync is only avaiable in the GT73VR for now. the one you tested was most likelly the 60hz G-sync one. Can you confirm this?

Is as easy as confirming the hz options in windows.

Tornadeur

I'm sorry, but I have to say this is one of your worse review :

-Several customers and MSI's employee themselves stated that current GT72VR models do not feature 120hz/ms, while you say it has, by doing that you are decieving lots of readers.
-You barrely talk about G-SYNC, not even testing the refresh which was 75hz on last years model. Some poeple are stating it is 60hz, others 75hz.
-You say there is no NVMe support while there is... Again lots of people confirmed it.

Really disapointing review, making me wonder if you even tested this laptop or just done some copy/paste over the net.

Lincolnclip

120Hz refresh rate confirmed
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Tobii.html#hero-overview

Tornadeur

That is the "Tobii" version. I called MSI's support team last week and they confirmed me current gt72vr modeles (non tobii) do not feature the 120hz screen.
If you search on google, you'll find topics on other forums with user stating they can't find any 120hz option.

Miguel Pereira

Quote from: Lincolnclip on August 22, 2016, 08:06:48
120Hz refresh rate confirmed
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Tobii.html#hero-overview

Even the Tobii version says "optional" on the 120hz display. There is still to be seen a GT72VR with a real 120hz screen. I would bet they didn't even confirm the refresh rate and the g-sync. And it takes 10 seconds to confirm...

This review was reaaaaly disapointing. I'm used to a lot more on this website, which has always been my reference.

Stexsy

ok, the 120hz is optional, but is G-sync at least always included?

those temps look quite good :) Considering the missing features however the price is high :(

danwat1234

U really can't shut off the Nvidia GPU now? Not good for battery life. I guess it's because of some compatibility issue with VR, is my only thought. Why NOT enable Nvidia Optimum??

What takes up the space that used to be where the 4x SSDs could install?

Hopefully there will be a GT72 with not only the 1070 GPU but also the 6820HK processor, not just the 6700HQ. Got to overclock so my bloated stock market day trading software works very quickly, yo!

Heard that MSI does not have a solution for upgrading the 970m/980m MSI GT70 and GT72 laptops with the 1070....... that's too bad. Upgradeability is good. I feel bad for them.

Does this laptop have MSI NOS, where it can use battery power to supplement the AC adapter if the AC adapter has reached it's max power draw? That really sucked with the GT70 GT60 with the 180w AC adapter + 980m + 4930MX/4940MX extreme processors. Throttling and battery drain if simultaneous full utilization.

Cheers.

danwat1234

Hmm, you don't have the GT73VR review out on your english language site? just the .com .... http://www.notebookchat.com/index.php/topic,60300.0.html.

So neither this nor the GT73VR has nvidia Optimus? Because here you said it has no GPU manual switch button. But in the non-english site of the Gt73VR review, it says the GT72VR uses about 10 watts less at idle than the other one... so which is it? Optimus or not for the GT72VR?

"'It's a shame that this MSI refresh does not offer desktop-class Skylake options like on a small number of Clevo barebones" -- Well, that CPU take a lot more power (more heat) .. so likely less overclocking headroom than the 6820HK, which I guess runs at lower stock voltages and is unlocked too.
Thank you.

Frantz

Hi Guys,

(sorry for the poor English, that's not my native language).

I've just bought a GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro (I7-6700HQ/8Go/GTX1070M/G-sync 75Hz IPS FHD)

I was happy until I've noticed a massive color banding issue with the integrated IPS panel.

I've created several post on French forum about this issue...and guess what ? All last GT72VR sold in France encounters this issue...

The LG/Philips LGD046E panel seems to not support more than 6 bits per pixel color coding that result in an ugly rendering when it comes to display color gradient.

Some pics to give you an idea :

(http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/590554IMG9388.jpg)
(http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/832897IMG20160916211114099HDRCopier.jpg)

So I'm surprised that any website mention such an issue...
Perhaps MSI provides a "special" configuration for testers...

We tried to contact MSI via their forum, support, Facebook, Twitter...but we heard nothing from them...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview