News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

First Ryzen 7000 laptop leaks but the refreshed Asus Zenbook 14 lacks Zen 4 and RDNA 3 punch

Started by Redaktion, October 29, 2022, 22:45:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

One of the first Ryzen 7000 laptops has been accidentally leaked by Asus. Its Turkish-language website revealed the specifications for a refreshed Zenbook 14 that included one of AMD's new Ryzen 7000 mobile chips. However, those hoping for a Zen 4/RDNA 3 combination powerhouse will have to keep waiting.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-Ryzen-7000-laptop-leaks-but-the-refreshed-Asus-Zenbook-14-lacks-Zen-4-and-RDNA-3-punch.665204.0.html

Poster

If this year's release or lack thereof for the 6000u series in 2in1 convertible and mainstream,midrange laptops, don't expect to see the zen 4 7040 series anytime soon. Check in May for a few high-end models and everything else in November.
Still as if writing can't find a 6000u series 2in1 midrange for US market

Russel

Quote from: Poster on October 29, 2022, 22:58:53If this year's release or lack thereof for the 6000u series in 2in1 convertible and mainstream,midrange laptops, don't expect to see the zen 4 7040 series anytime soon. Check in May for a few high-end models and everything else in November.
Still as if writing can't find a 6000u series 2in1 midrange for US market

Almost feels like intel paid everyone not to include 6xxx series in any 2-in-1 laptops.
Envy 13 x360, zenbook/vivobook flip and others who had amd chips before are not offering the ones with RDNA igpu which makes a whole lot of difference in performance and efficiency.
XD

NikoB

Everything will be as usual - Zen4 will not appear in laptops until summer 2023. And the U version will never appear in mainstream 15.6-16" laptops without a discrete card. Just for the same stupid reason why there are almost no such models with i7 1260p-1280p - the price of U for AMD and U / P series for Intel is the same as for the H series, wholesale from 1000 pieces. Therefore, manufacturers simply don't need junior processors. Why the hell are they if you can buy 12500H for the same money (as Huawei did in bulk) and sell it in D16 at TDP(PL1/PL2).The difference with AMD is that AMD is a fabless company and is a "poor relative" at TSMC compared to Apple, Qualcomm and Mediatek.It is only 4th in queues for the production of processors. Therefore, in retail there are no U models in the same D16 and there is not a single model from more famous brands. Even Lenovo does not supply anything in practice, although it declared everything in psref. But in reality, all delicious models are out of stock, except for "gaming" ones, like the Legion series, but for example I don't need di secret card in laptop, I haven't played for over 6 years for sure.

Why should I, as a buyer, must pay for 3070Ti in Legion 7 2022, if I need only 6800H BUT the same heavy cooling system and everything else (and minus idiotic rgb lighting) and even better - the screen should be minimum as 3840x2400@120Hz. This will further improve the performance of the processor and reduce the noise if all cooling system is only serving the only processor. And the price of such a working laptop without a discrete gpu will automatically fall by $500-600 minimum (only +50-60$ for 4k screen vs 2.5k). And it will be an excellent versatile and multimedia work laptop on planet, for which it will not be a pity to pay $1100-1200 in retail. Why Lenovo does not understand this point blank, I do not know. And their Thinkbook series with soldered memory or one slot is complete nonsense, like other manufacturers. They will no longer be in demand in mass.

Marketers do not understand the completely massive target audience - less than 10% of gamers on the planet, the rest need cheap work laptops, but Legion 7 level with AMD. And they are stupidly not on the planet. As a result, demand falls, because manufacturers behave like idiots ...

Alexander_

Quote from: NikoB on October 30, 2022, 12:39:44...Marketers do not understand the completely massive target audience...
There are also many people who want a great portable laptop with a quality matte finish! IPS/LTPS screen with at least 400 nits of brightness. But a lot of manufacturers save money and sell their glossy screen (and often OLED, which burns out and very often has PWM).

NikoB

Quote from: Alexander_ on October 30, 2022, 14:07:10
Quote from: NikoB on October 30, 2022, 12:39:44...Marketers do not understand the completely massive target audience...
There are also many people who want a great portable laptop with a quality matte finish! IPS/LTPS screen with at least 400 nits of brightness. But a lot of manufacturers save money and sell their glossy screen (and often OLED, which burns out and very often has PWM).
Something tells me that when it comes to working on the street, especially on a sunny day, less than 700 nits can not be considered at all (and preferably from 1000). Otherwise, it seems to me that most portable laptops are not needed at all. Laptops are most often bought (or issued at work as a worker in the office) home (with very rare use outside the home) and therefore complete silence is much more important for people with a core load of up to 25-30% on average (and core temperatures are not higher than 75C) than weight, autonomy and screen brightness. I am personally at home and 250 nits is excessive, since under normal lighting, even on a sunny day, 100-140 nits is enough for me in rooms, i.e. 300 nits is more than enough with a margin, I will never work at such a brightness.

The laptop is convenient in that it is easy to transfer it from the desktop to the sofa, for example (and when it needs to be moved to another place) and sit reclining behind it, which is impossible to do with a stationary PC, although it wins otherwise unequivocally both in price / speed and in noise (at times even under 100% load). Well, in general, laptops rule just like complete solutions. For example, on a PC, you need to specifically have external speakers, but here they are built-in and cameras are built-in and microphones. Therefore, people have practically stopped buying PCs at home (and it makes sense to buy them only by assembling them with your own hands, and not ready-made stupid solutions with a priori overpriced).

In general, it's annoying that there are such good models like the Legion 7, of which one could make a working laptop, simply by cutting out an extra GPU from it and removing the stupid backlight for children. There would be a normal home laptop for all occasions, except for games. Many do not play at all, but are forced into the load for the sake of 2 memory slots, two m.2, a good fast screen for work, a good set of ports (moreover, in the back, including the power plug, and not randomly on the side), a good full-fledged keyboard and a high-quality cooling system buy "game" models for nothing overpaying for a discrete GPU that they don't need.

What does Lenovo cost to make a multimedia-working version of Legion 7 without a discrete gpu and sell it much cheaper? This will increase demand by orders of magnitude. But their Thinkbook/Thinkpad series, with its limitations and prices, goes to hell.

Lukka

Hi NicoB,

I face similar frustrations as yours ... BUT ...

Don't you think that the advent of RDNA3 (Navi33) could be a factor in our favor?

I mean, APUs with more powerful iGPUs (and a bit more watt demanding) feel even less need of a dGPU ... so maybe we could be closer to the following paradigm :
                                            16 inches - Ryzen 9 7900HX - without mandatory dGPU - good cooling to avoid throttling

... because ... you might need to encode video (Handbrake) on your mobile workstation. This task would need a 'beast' CPU , minimal GPU ... and a pretty good cooling subsystem to avoid throttling the magnus CPU you bought ...  :-)

Regards.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview