News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU and the Sony PS5 gaming console

Started by Redaktion, October 19, 2021, 02:19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple made some bold claims about the performance of its new M1 Pro and M1 Max SoCs, including their graphics capabilities. A quick and dirty number crunch based on the known graphics performance of the M1 shows that those claims are likely justified.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-s-M1-Max-GPU-is-as-powerful-as-an-Nvidia-RTX-2080-desktop-GPU-and-the-Sony-PS5-gaming-console.573846.0.html

Noah

Are y'all just going to ignore that TF's don't equate straight across the board that easily? Even if the TF is correct and keeps up, that doesn't mean it can actually run nearly as well due to so much being required by software, g-sync, dlss, etc. Face it Apple costs 2-3x what a comparable PC costs.

Gregory

Honestly notebookcheck is not te website it was anymore. Saying that a alienware laptop that overheats is "quite good"  it means they have fallen for the mainstream. Now they're doing this lol. Imagine a macbook being faster than a PS5 or a graphics card without the overhead macos has/creates.

Gandir

2-3x more than a PC? Have you looked at the prices for Dell XPS and other quality PCs?

A similar spec of XPS 17 cost $3,149.99 and that compared to the Macbook Pro 16" with M1 Pro and 16GB of ram and 1028GB SSD that are the same on dell I do compare with.

On top of that you get a better screen on the Mac, you get better speakers. Just take a look at the average prices of MiniLED Screens and yeah you get pretty high on thouse.

On top of that the neural engine is capable to do DLSS if it would like, you have video encoding and decodin chips in the MacBook Pro that puts all Nvidias consumer graphics card to a shame.

So $2,149,99 USD for the Dell is a higher price than a similar but more powerfull and loads better peformance per w. So please sir tell me where is the mac costing more? And what laptop PC is faster in the same formfactor?

Steve Smith

"Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 This site just gets worse... So according to this guy, apples mobile GPU is now faster than nvidia best efforts in the mobile space, the RTX 3080 Mobile, as the 2080 desktop is slightly faster than the 3080 mobile. 1st of all, performance doesn't scale linearly, so adding 4x the amount of GPU cores doesn't necessarily mean you're getting 4x the GPU power, even if if you did, 4x would still fall short of the 3080 let alone the 2080 desktop, by this sites own benchmarks.

I'd love to know what happened to this website, it used to be a place for reliable tech info, now it's turned into a clickbait site, I suggest you change the authors.

t4n0n

Quote from: Steve Smith on October 19, 2021, 09:36:21
"Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 This site just gets worse... So according to this guy, apples mobile GPU is now faster than nvidia best efforts in the mobile space, the RTX 3080 Mobile, as the 2080 desktop is slightly faster than the 3080 mobile. 1st of all, performance doesn't scale linearly, so adding 4x the amount of GPU cores doesn't necessarily mean you're getting 4x the GPU power, even if if you did, 4x would still fall short of the 3080 let alone the 2080 desktop, by this sites own benchmarks.

I'd love to know what happened to this website, it used to be a place for reliable tech info, now it's turned into a clickbait site, I suggest you change the authors.

I, too, am skeptical of Apple's claims, but I'm yet to see any responses laying out any concrete details as to how this analysis is wrong.

It would be good if more knowledgeable people could share this.

Dare

Does it mean the cheapest base model with 14 core GPU is as good as GTX 1060 6GB card ? (which I think is at 4.4 Teraflops)

Sanjiv Sathiah

This Anandtech article since published backs up everything I had to say regarding the figures and performance written in this article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17019/apple-announced-m1-pro-m1-max-giant-new-socs-with-allout-performance

RobH

Do you mean " based on the assumption that Apple has NOT clocked the new GPU cores higher in the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips or made any other changes. " ?

Steve Smith

The fact is, Anandtech is going from claims themselves, nothing to back up their claims other than apples claims. Notebook check have an array of benchmark results to look at. If Apples 4x claim turned out to be true, why don't you go and check this websites benchmarks across all the games tested on the M1 using the highest visual settings (this will take any potential CPU bottleneck out of the equation) and then multiply the results by 4 and you will find it still falls substantially short compared to the 3070 laptop GPU let alone the 3080. When the hardware is available for testing and you show us it competing in the real world, then I will believe you, my bet is, it will gain just over 3x the performance in those games tested compared to the M1

<.>

M1 is on par GTX 1050 desktop, M1 pro is like GTX 1060 6GB
M1 Max will be around GTX 1660ti perf, the bandwith is limited by LPDDR5 around 200GB/s even is 52000MT/s or higher 4000GB/s. maybe is more near to GTX 1080, but RTX 2080 never, PS5 APU is trash, old 1950X with 24 vega CU's @180W with good SSD is near to GTX 1660Ti aka GTX 1070.

Always better than AMD APU trash

John Towser

shockingly bad reporting, ignoring key assumptions and acting as if guestimates are actual benchmarks.
until to have data to show us, make sure each claims has some language like "possibly" or other qualifiers. manufacturers have a long history of claiming their product to be "better" than another, but it turns out it's only on a fringe benchmark and not for the things people actually do.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview