News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU and the Sony PS5 gaming console

Started by Redaktion, October 19, 2021, 02:19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MehNitesh

They're just looking at Tflops, which are only a paper calculation of ALUs * clock speed * 2 operations per ALU per clock. I think Apple groups 128 ALUs into each core. You can work this out mathematically on any GPU and see it's the case.

This isn't to downplay it - I'm confident the M1 GPU is MORE efficient per Tflop on paper than RDNA2, and so should the M1 Max be, so it might end up more performant than that.

This is akin to spreading the decades old MHz myth that clock speed is a CPU performance number.

TheG00n

So...once again Apple releases a product roughly 2 years behind current technology for the sheeple to line up for.

Sanjiv Sathiah

So while Anandtech quotes Apple's figures (which are exactly the same as I estimated), they don't offer any reason to dispute those figures. Obviously testing the chips will determine the veracity of those claims.

As for the M1 GPU real-world gaming benchmarks on games like Borderlands 3, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Tomb Raider and PUBG — these are all coded for Intel chips and being run in Apple's Rosetta 2 translation layer — they are in no way reflective of games coded natively for M1 on Mac as they aren't any AAA titles ported natively for the platform yet that I am aware of (Minecraft notwithstanding).

As for Apple's performance claims, sure, pinch of salt. But rarely, if ever, does Apple overstate its claims. As an example, recently it claimed the A15 is 50 percent faster than the competition (i.e Snapdragon 888). Turns out testing showed it is actually 62 percent faster than the S888. Given the performance of the M1, I would be surprised if Apple's performance claims are overstated.

LL

Quoteshockingly bad reporting, ignoring key assumptions and acting as if guestimates are actual benchmarks.
until to have data to show us, make sure each claims has some language like "possibly" or other qualifiers.

Agreed

The John

The M1 GPU is about as powerful as a 1050TI. If the M1 Max is 4 times as powerful, that would be about equivalent to a RTX 3070, not 3080.

According to UserBenchmark, the RTX 3070 is about 394% faster than a 1050TI. And the M1 benchmarks about that level.

Note: these are desktop GPUs.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview