News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion 7 16ACH in review: Gaming powerhouse with good 16:10 display

Started by Redaktion, June 13, 2021, 18:48:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Legion 7 16ACHg6 brings all the latest computer games smoothly onto the matte 16-inch display (2560x1600 pixels, 165 Hz, IPS) in the 16:10 format. The Ryzen 9 5900HX APU and the GeForce RTX 3080 laptop GPU can be overclocked automatically.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-7-16ACH-in-review-Gaming-powerhouse-with-good-16-10-display.545205.0.html

Hanzzz

Why didn't you test the RAM latencies and speeds? It this point it is a know fact that Legions have problems with RAM performance.

pocho

test the ram? they dont even know of the icue power consumption at idle apparently  ;D

George

Great and powerful machine, amazing job from Lenovo this year. It literally crush competition. Fans on my my laptop (same model) doesn't produce that annoying sound you mentioned, luckily and RAM modules on Legion 7 doesn't suffer from slow Latency like on Legion 5 Pro.

William Ng

Excellent review!

However I notice the idle power draw is a lot higher than it should, in other reviews it's said that the icue RGB software draws close to 20W by itself, can you re test the battery life with the icue process disabled?

Amir Danesh

Quote from: Hanzzz on June 13, 2021, 19:10:26
Why didn't you test the RAM latencies and speeds? It this point it is a know fact that Legions have problems with RAM performance.

it is a case only for legion 5 pro, I believe.

Bogdan

Don't buy this laptop.. Is very expensive and the build is not good, the lid on my legion broke without even using it so much.

The cooling is not working is very loud and i have to use external cooling to play any newer game, by hes own cooling.. He will just shut down.. I'm very disappointed.. I lost almost 2000 euro on a device that is not working

PeteScandinavia

RAM issues is NOT a Lenovo/Legion problem, it's an AMD Ryzen problem.
It's the CPU that is sensitive to RAM timings. Lower timings gives better performance and newer higher density modules perform worse.
For optimal Ryzen performance you need low timings, 4 bank groups, memory modules in 2Rx8 preferably and not 1Rx16.

Don

Was expecting a fully aluminum unibody, but instead it is a shell with black plastic inner structure. Shame. The 7 slim should be far sturdier in comparison then.

Hanzzz

Quote from: Piter on June 15, 2021, 18:37:45
Will there be a review of the ideapad 5 pro 16?

I am also waiting for this laptop. Some shops are selling it but only Intel versions.

The Blitz

This laptop looks surprisingly well.
Display has no downside and they actually payed attention to minimum brightness which most companies do not!
Also speakers are surprisingly way above average.
Slightly smaller screen compared to an 17.3inch and being lighter will make it easier to carry it around and battery life is very good for a gaming computer. Im impressed tbh

Mister Right

Quote from: Bogdan on June 14, 2021, 15:14:57
Don't buy this laptop.. Is very expensive and the build is not good, the lid on my legion broke without even using it so much.

The cooling is not working is very loud and i have to use external cooling to play any newer game, by hes own cooling.. He will just shut down.. I'm very disappointed.. I lost almost 2000 euro on a device that is not working

This is the 2021 model. It has different hinges design.
U have an old model or u made a mistake and damaged it yourself.

NikoB

The final scores are simply absurd! 85% for keyboards, while the cheap IdeaPad has 89%? What do the reviewers of this site smoke? Or how can you rely on their assessments if they are distributed outside of any single absolute scale accepted by the editorial board required from all reviewers? What is the point of this assessment, if all people write who owns the cheap IdeaPad and Legion, that the keyboard on the latter is sharply better tactile?

Going further - the reviewer praises the screen for its high DCI-P3 / ARGB coverage, not a word or a word from an obvious problem for ordinary buyers who will definitely not do any hardware calibration, and even this will not help in the software that waits for the sRGB / Rec input .709 color space and knows nothing about Windows / Linux color management system. But the excess of sRGB space, which is obvious with such ARGB and DCI-P3 values, leads in practice to poisonous (oversaturated) colors in software showing sRGB content and thinking that the input is sRGB content in Rec.709. Red, oversaturated faces and poisonous green grass in the frame are the result of exceeding the coverage of sRGB space. And all this is omitted in the review! It's good that when you turn on the AMD embedding, there is a built-in sRGB autocalibrator that affects all software at once in Windows, but again it depends on the accuracy of the data in the EDID panel. And this depends on the accuracy of the calibration at the factory (secondly, it floats over time, and AMD does not have an EDID editing mechanism for this autocalibrator)

Versions with Intel do not have an EDID autocalibrator at all, as AMD does. NVidia doesn't have it either. Keep this in mind when choosing a platform.

On the other hand, the Intel version has 2 TB4.0 (USB4.0) ports and a faster memory controller in latency (almost 1.5 times), which is again omitted in the reviews, and in all of them.

Why don't notebookcheck reviews use the AIDA64 memory test module, which measures cache and memory latency? The difference between Intel and AMD in favor of Intel is radical in atomic read / write and copy operations. But ordinary people, of course, are not aware of this ...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview