News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Schenker XMG Ultra 17 (Clevo X170SM-G) laptop review: Power without end

Started by Redaktion, October 15, 2020, 02:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

For those who don't want to make any technical compromises, the Schenker XMG Ultra 17 is the right laptop or, more precisely, desktop replacement. The gigantic 17-incher is powered by a desktop CPU and Nvidia's fastest laptop chips. You can find out whether the high cost is worth it in our review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-Ultra-17-Clevo-X170SM-G-laptop-review-Power-without-end.497925.0.html

XMG Community

Hello everyone,

here are a few additions to the content of the Notebookcheck test:

QuoteAccording to The Witcher 3, you can expect about 320 watts in games.

When using a frame limiter, you can expect significantly less energy consumption and fan volume in gaming. With a 60Hz display in particular, it is worth limiting the FPS to 60fps so that the graphics card does not compute senseless frames and discard them again. Unfortunately, G-SYNC does not automatically result in FPS capping.

Even with the 240Hz full HD display, it can be worthwhile to set the max. FPS to a certain sweet spot depending on the game.

We recently wrote a detailed article about this: gaming-laptop-without-losing-performance-and-its-now-easier-to-do-than-ever-before/]Using a Frame Limiter to de-noise your gaming laptop without losing performance and easier to do than ever before | XMG guest review[/b]

Quotethe cooling reaches over 50 dB every now and then for no reason, which will annoy many users

This is usually not without reason, but because Windows likes to start a few computationally intensive background processes when the computer is completely idle for a few minutes. Windows runs these tasks (such as TiWorker.exe) at 100% single-threaded. Single-threaded load boost the CPU to much higher clocks and naturally will activate the cooling system. In our point of view, Microsoft should improve this and run such non-time-critical maintenance tasks by default with only reduced priority instead of maxing out single threads automatically.

If you run the laptop in idle in the Quiet or Entertainment profile, you won't notice much of these peaks anyway. In the Quiet profile, the fan speed is capped to approx. 27% speed - Turbo Boost intensity and duration are also reduced to a sweet spot that is more pleasant for CPU efficiency.

QuoteThe device reaches almost 60 dB for a short time even when being booted.

This is the anti-dust function: for a few seconds during boot the fans run at 100% speed in reverse. This removes dust from the cooling fins and removes it via an anti-dust tunnel. This function can be customized in the Control Center so that it e.g. is only performed once a week.

VG,
Tom
Schenker Technologies GmbH
// Firmenaccount für PR & Communitypflege
Technical Support
Mo-Fr 8-18 | Sa 9-14 // Tel.: +49 341 246704-0

Azorico

Thank you for this review. I have to say I have some concern over a couple of issues you have raised here but now I guess I will find out first hand as my order is ongoing.

Regarding the portability or lack thereof as long as I can still carry it on a proper backpack it is worth it to me. I need to move between places every two-four months at the moment and constantly reassembling a desktop is not advisable. Hopefully, it will be able to handle VR as well.

Will

Hi Tom at XMG,

I know you can schedule the anti dust fans to run, do they actually stick if they don't run due to missing the schedule they tend to reset?

XMG Community

Sorry, can you re-phrase this question? What do you mean by "do they stick" and "they tend to reset"?

BR,
Tom
Schenker Technologies GmbH
// Firmenaccount für PR & Communitypflege
Technical Support
Mo-Fr 8-18 | Sa 9-14 // Tel.: +49 341 246704-0

Will

Quote from: XMG Community on November 06, 2020, 15:48:48
Sorry, can you re-phrase this question? What do you mean by "do they stick" and "they tend to reset"?

BR,
Tom

Yes sorry they tend to reset after awhile especially when I put the laptop to sleep or restart!  Seems to be random too, it's been over a week and hasn't yet...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview