News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Opinion: What on earth is going on with Dell's XPS lineup?

Started by Redaktion, May 31, 2019, 13:06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas Black

Quote from: Cbakes on June 01, 2019, 04:17:58
What laptop do you suggest getting then?

The Lenovo ThinkPad X1E. Just be careful with BIOS updates, as Lenovo has been releasing updates that can brick this machine not once, not twice, but three or even four times now.

People just don't seem to take any pride in their work anymore. Perhaps the cost of outsourcing sub-contracts to the lowest bidders.

Chantelle

I just would like to say what happened to the Dell XPS 18 loved my computer so much I have to get it fixed there's nothing like it anywhere...

Liad Sagi

I have a dell vostro 5459 , and I love it. It is working great, even 3 years later (Chrome is 99% of what I do , and with skylake and a fast SSD it works fine+)

Mainly because it's upgradable. I've swapped the battery for a new one after two years , I've repasted the laptop once every year or so, I've upgraded the ram and SSD , and even replaced scratched chassis parts. All of this things was quite cheap and easy to do, and made it a better laptop , when I could not spend 2000 euro on an XPS with the specs I have wanted. 

That's a real strength.

Astar

Douglas Black, I totally agree with you and applaud your bravery in writing this.  Too many websites simply do not dare to speak up on these matters for fear of losing advertising dollars.

For that reason, I only recently started coming to www.notebookchat.com and will definitely be spending more time on this website.

If I may add, there is no reason why they should be soldering the RAM as well. There is negligible space saving in soldering anything down, except for saving a couple of pennies.

I would like to see your website raise these same issues with the consumer smartphones on sale. They are even worse in removing micro-SD card slots, sealing/glueing/soldering everything, including the batteries.

There is an epic global consumer electronic waste problem.

I feel that websites like yours should devote more space to more crowd funded efforts like Eve V. Perhaps all this anger & frustration can eventually alsolead to a crowd-funded smartphone with a removable battery?

N.B. Would you consider integrating Disqus support too?

Ian

Frank has just written on twitter that the xps beig released does NOT have a soldered-in ssd

:)

Douglas

Quote from: Astar on June 02, 2019, 20:51:02
Douglas Black, I totally agree with you and applaud your bravery in writing this.  Too many websites simply do not dare to speak up on these matters for fear of losing advertising dollars.

For that reason, I only recently started coming to www.notebookchat.com and will definitely be spending more time on this website.

If I may add, there is no reason why they should be soldering the RAM as well. There is negligible space saving in soldering anything down, except for saving a couple of pennies.

I would like to see your website raise these same issues with the consumer smartphones on sale. They are even worse in removing micro-SD card slots, sealing/glueing/soldering everything, including the batteries.

There is an epic global consumer electronic waste problem.

I feel that websites like yours should devote more space to more crowd funded efforts like Eve V. Perhaps all this anger & frustration can eventually alsolead to a crowd-funded smartphone with a removable battery?

N.B. Would you consider integrating Disqus support too?

I wrote about the problem of ewaste before:
ultrabookreview.com/23232-tech-companies-must-be-held-accountable-for-the-environmental-damage-caused-by-their-anti-consumer-practices/

Very interesting that Azor is claiming no soldered SSD now. Perhaps the Computex sales got it wrong. Perhaps they changed the design. We may never know.

Rick

I have to say, you kinda killed the mood for me lol.

I read about the XPS 13 2-in-1 and have been waiting for it since. It seemed pretty much perfect for me.

Now I need it for school, so losing files is not ideal to put it lightly.

Do you recommend something else for me? 2-in-1 always looked attractive to me, but if you say "you should definitely not do that" I can go away from it. Any tips?

Rick

Quote from: Rick on June 08, 2019, 15:48:51

I read about the XPS 13 2-in-1 and have been waiting for it since. It seemed pretty much perfect for me.

Do you recommend something else for me? 2-in-1 always looked attractive to me, but if you say "you should definitely not do that" I can go away from it. Any tips?

I saw you mentioned the Lenovo ThinkPad X1E, but that one is a bit above my budget. Preferably the price up to $2000

Douglas Black

Quote from: Rick on June 08, 2019, 16:00:19
Quote from: Rick on June 08, 2019, 15:48:51

I saw you mentioned the Lenovo ThinkPad X1E, but that one is a bit above my budget. Preferably the price up to $2000

Hi Rick,

If you really want a 2-in-1, check out the Lenovo Yoga C930. The HP I linked in the article is also an upgradable 2-in-1.

colt-lemon-pluck

That "problem" can be easily solved with a regular backup using an external drive, NAS, or cloud storage with google drive, dropbox, onedrive (default), etc. That's how I've been migrating to new computers for years anyway. Also, bashing Dell for offering something that won't satisfice your requirements when they offer other solutions that will check all your boxes, sounds like just whining for the sake of it. You should be looking at the Latitude and Precision lines which are more direct competition for the Thinkpad. The XPS is obviously the most high end  consumerist for home option, basically a response against the macbook airs of the world. This because there's plenty of demand in the market for these kind of glued, soldered, irreparable, stylish, high-end goods

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview