News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

After two years and just one major OS update, LG gives up on the LG V20

Started by Redaktion, January 13, 2019, 10:08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

27 months after the LG V20 was released, LG appears to have finally ended all software support for it. The device ran on Android Nougat out of the box and only received the Oreo update almost a year after launch. This marks a sad end for a device widely regarded as the last truly great Android flagship.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/After-two-years-and-just-one-major-OS-update-LG-gives-up-on-the-LG-V20.394096.0.html

B

I'm still using the v20 and don't see any reason to upgrade. Newer phones just lack many of the features that the v20 has. I'll root my phone so I can update past Oreo.

Arby Smith

I just made my last payment on my phones, I bought two.
Now, L.G. announces that they won't support or upgrade?
This sounds like a maneuver designed to force V20 owners to buy another phone!
At the present time my phone is working fine, with no plans of going back into debt for two more years for a phone.

Varun Kumar

Lg is the worst when it comes to updates (owner of G2, G4 & V20) . LG v20 was a flagship and I was so frustrated with lack of security updates that I switched to Oneplus 6. Oneplus is the fastest when it comes to updates after pixel. 45 days within release Pie arrives, 2 days after 6t launch all new features from new model arrive. No LG for me ever whatever the hardware.

PAUL RICKETTS

It was a great phone... for the first month. Once the 'new' on it wore off, problems related to battery performance and poor performance in general were constant causes for dissatisfaction. Phone died once, replaced with another V20 thanks to insurance; then replacement died 1 year later. Little-to-no improvement noticed between the older and newer V20s. The demise of the V20 is not a surprise.

mars

I also have this phone, but with an extended battery pack. It's an intuitive phone that addresses the notch issue plaguing most current flagships.

It's unfortunate that LG has stopped support, which pushes me to rooting it at some time in the future. However, even with all the bloatware installed, it's quick and responsive.

Having said that, the poster above who mentioned the instability issues was correct. Before the update to Oreo, the phone had serious software issues that made the phone prone to crashes. Post Oreo, the phone is solid as a rock! I've had it since launch and just might continue to use it without root -a statement about its stability.

Shawn

So disappointed to hear this.  Regardless of what others may have to say, but in my opinion the LG V20 is the best phone I've ever owned.  Don't get me wrong the new phones are cool but their prices ranges from $800-1100.  Crazy money!  I've owned all the Samsungs up to galaxy S8, and LGs up to the G6, and after all those I still went back to my LG V20.  Oreo did fix some problems with my V20, and it runs great now, but I am sad to hear no more updates for a phone that can still be useful.  LG have let the ball drop on this one.  Will probably go to a lesser known brand after this such as Huawei, Umidigi, Elephone, or even Sony for half the price of Samsung and IPhones.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Shawn on January 14, 2019, 09:20:06
So disappointed to hear this.  Regardless of what others may have to say, but in my opinion the LG V20 is the best phone I've ever owned.  Don't get me wrong the new phones are cool but their prices ranges from $800-1100.  Crazy money!  I've owned all the Samsungs up to galaxy S8, and LGs up to the G6, and after all those I still went back to my LG V20.  Oreo did fix some problems with my V20, and it runs great now, but I am sad to hear no more updates for a phone that can still be useful.  LG have let the ball drop on this one.  Will probably go to a lesser known brand after this such as Huawei, Umidigi, Elephone, or even Sony for half the price of Samsung and IPhones.

Can't go wrong with Huawei/Honor.

The Gay

JamesB

The day before this post went up, I was looking for "flagships with removable battery" and saw a suggestion to get the v20.  I guess that dream is well and truly dead now.

I'm seriously considering a G7, but if this is how they treat their phones... well, the G7 has already seen one major version upgrade, and if it doesn't get Android Q, I'd be pretty upset.  Pushes me in the direction of a cheaper Android One model instead....

Reba M. Williams

My son and I have the V20 and we love it. If they don't update the  software when I need to replace it, it will not be an LG phone. This is terrible.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview