News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell shelves its new XPS 15 9570 BIOS

Started by Redaktion, January 10, 2019, 18:40:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

In a dissapointing but perhaps unsurprising move, Dell has postponed the release of its BIOS update for the XPS 15 9570. The news comes after the company previously said that it would release BIOS 1.7 by the end of 2018, which Dell claims will fix the NVIDIA dGPU issue that has plagued some XPS 15 9570 laptops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-shelves-its-new-XPS-15-9570-BIOS.393561.0.html

Paul Z

ArcGIS Pro freezes on loading maps when the Intel 630 graphics and the NVIDIA 1050Ti on my 9570 are both enabled; disabling either one and restarting ArcGIS Pro permits it to operate normally. It appears there is some kind of switching issue with one or both drivers.

wintermute0000

The link for 1.70 is still up on the support page and can be downloaded. Is this really pulled or not? Can you please get Dell to confirm and if so PULL DOWN THE LINK before unsuspecting users install a bugged BIOS?

mkdr

The 48°C low temp bug seems to be fixed, BUT the 74°C throttle was NOT changed back to 78°C! Also even worse:

On my 9570 with 1.7.0 under Windows, the fans are now coupled to the dGPU 1:1. It wasnt like this before 1.7.0. Anything, which activates the dGPU, even if it just for a brief moment like doing a 1-second poll (like GPUz, or even Windows Task manager), regardless of its temps, activates the fans now for 2-5 seconds. Opening Steam, fans run for 5 seconds, go off. Even better: If I have Steam running in the back, or anything which can poll the dGPU, then go modern standby, wake up, it triggers the fans every single time for 7 seconds. Opening HwInfo... fans kick in for 5 seconds. CLOSING HWINFO... fans kick in for 5 seconds. Opening Nvidia panel... fans kick in for 5 seconds. Closing it... fans run for 5 seconds. Just GREAT... JUST GREAT.

This just happens on AC, not battery it seems.

Opening / closing Edge triggers the fans now too. Same as opening Windows Explorer for the first time, then right click on an exe file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9eouyny81ctd9h/dgputriggersfans.mp4?dl=0

Fans/dGPU are off.
Opening Task manager (or other apps who access dGPU).
dGPU is on for half a second.
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds
Closing Task Manager.
dGPU is on for half a second.
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds.

Edit: I reverted back to 1.6.0 and the above fan issues are GONE. Flashed back to 1.7.0 and theyre present again. Would be nice if this could be tested and placed into the article. This is obviously a bug introduced with 1.7.0.

This also means btw, the laptops fans now kick in always you turn it on, this wasnt the case before 1.7.0. They also mostly spin if it wakes up from modern standby (and a dGPU poll app is open, like Steam).

Jordee McGarry

So should I upgrade the BIOS? Everything seems to be working fine. I'd hate to get greedy. 

Sakke

Updated to 1.7.0
Still BSOD when playing games (with quality settings to max).
After this happened again after the update, I made sure it used the correct GPU (since it the game might have used the internal Intel one instead of the Geforce), after that the game still crashed, I could see the GPU load drop to 0% and after a couple of minutes the PC again crashed, but this time it did have a mention in the event log before it crashed:
4 logs with source "nvlddmkm". Since its not in english, i'll only mention the relevant part:
\Device\UVMLiteController0x1
Graphics Exception: Class 0xe64 Subchannel 0x0 Mismatch

Graphics Exception: ESR 0x4041b0=0x200e64

Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404000=0x80000002

1d6e(3604) 00000000 00000000

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview