News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The next Windows 10 version will feature "reserved storage" and you might not like it

Started by Redaktion, January 08, 2019, 20:00:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The next major Windows 10 release will reserve 7 GB of your device's storage space to avoid failing big updates due to a Windows Update bug. Due to this bug, the system is not checking for enough space before launching after an update. While 7 GB might not be much for most Windows PCs, cheap devices with 32 GB of internal storage will get in trouble.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-next-Windows-10-version-will-feature-reserved-storage-and-you-might-not-like-it.392971.0.html

DavidC1

Windows 8 to 10 is a "lazy" feature. Rather than overhauling the interface to properly accommodate touch devices, they decided to tack on top of it.

Windows 7 is a lazy effort too, but at least it was an advancement.

Kalev743575

If i can turn this feature off along with brutally disabling automatic updates, then i could live with that. PROVIDE OPTIONS

Codrut Nistor

Exactly. They should provide options, or at least fix for the bug that is the reason for this "feature" which is more like an extension for the bug than a feature. By definition, features should do useful stuff, not circumvent bugs.

I don't know much about the software side, but hasn't Windows always been eating up storage without the user's knowledge? Iirc, there is a command in W10 to to clear storage taken up by residual files.

Craig Ward

While the reserved storage could be very annoying for many people if there is no option to disable it, I do want to make a potentially unpopular comment and say that this is probably a good move for Windows security.

While most of us reading this can probably understand why a Windows update has failed because of space, and would know what we could do to fix it, there are a lot of people who have no idea why their Windows update is failing or how they could resolve it.

Ignoring that it is being done because of a bug, it's possibly going to help non-techy people continue to get security updates as they fill their storage drives.

Having said that, I'd want to be able to disable it myself.

Windows 7 is Forever

OMG ...!!!  >:D
Windows 10 - 1903 Build is complete disaster that
make me love my Windows 7 even more  :p...!!!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview