News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell denies that the XPS 15 9570 may have a BIOS related GPU issue

Started by Redaktion, November 26, 2018, 14:43:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell has denied that there are any BIOS related GPU issues with XPS 15 9570 laptops, the company has informed us. Despite providing the company with data and numerous online posts demonstrating otherwise, it has not been able to determine what is causing some NVIDIA GPUs to throttle until reaching 48 °C/118 °F.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-denies-that-the-XPS-15-9570-may-have-a-BIOS-related-GPU-issue.366766.0.html

DellUser

I do not understand why the author of the article seems so surprised. Dell has always been giving similar responses in the past for flawed products.

mkdr

PURELY DISGUSTING. Enough is enough... They cant be serious... I have reached out to them about this issue a month ago and never got an answer back so far. Either their engineers are incompetent or are lying. I don't know what is more frightening. I have 100% the same issue since bios 1.3.1 that dGPU throttles when it goes under 48°C. This mostly happens in ALL my games, because I dont play high load games, lots of indie games, WoW, Diablo 3, ect.

Please, your site cant give up on this. You have to bother them again and again and link also user data to them.

mkdr

They are a bunch of lying...

Everyone on here has the same issue or can reproduce it 100%:

forum.notebookreview .com/threads/xps-15-9570-owners-thread.817008/page-130#post-10795925

reddit .com/r/Dell/comments/9nme92/extreme_gpu_throttling_in_cold_situations_xps_9570/

Dimitar Atanasov Atanasov

I have the same issue. Bios version 1.5.0. problem is that if you start non cpu intensive game GPU stays at 45 degree at ~800 MHz and will no go up. In such case I have to star prime95 to heat cpu assembly. Such game is Nier Automata.

Fabian Fritzer

Damn, when I got my new XPS 15 I didn't worry too much about this issue, as I read about the acknowledgement here. I were expecting a fix at some point (even though it might take a while), so I tried to verify the issue by updating the BIOS. I didn't contact the support about it yet, because there seem so many other people reporting about it. Now we will all have to urge for replacement hardware (with the old BIOS), or what?

Joshua Zendler

I've been having a lot of trouble with my XPS with GPU temps recently, and have veered quite dissapointed in the lack of support and prolonged functionality when I paid so much for it

Nick R

I had to reply to this after my recent issues. I bought an xps 15 9570 recently. I wanted to start with the xps series at the 9550 but waited for thunderbolt support along with a better  GPU. When they announced the 9570 I figured now would be the time to buy in even though I expected more from the refresh (atleast a 1060 maxq). My first 9570 was a dud, the keyboard worked when it wanted and the keys stuck or sometimes didnt register. I contacted them and they wanted to fix it and I said I didn't pay 2 grand to get a laptop that immediately needed fixed. So they sent me a replacement. I use my laptop for school and for lite gaming like WoW. After trying to play WoW on the new system I knocked my settings from ultra down to medium so I could reach a stable 60fps everywhere. I was a little disappointed that the 1050ti needed medium on a 14 year old game, but whatever. 5 minutes later boom, laptop shuts off and gives me a thermal warning. I thought maybe it was a fluke, the laptop was open and its november and 20 degrees out, my indoor temp is about 74. I download GPuz and try to play wow again. I notice that the temp of both the CPU and GPU sitting at around 94C and spiking to 100C....... I looked up the conversion and was shocked the computer wasnt melting. I contacted dell and they remoted in, saw the errors and wanted me to turn off Intel turbo boost in bios and see if it overheats. I did so and the computer ran like crap, it allotted the CPU and GPU no extra juice when needed. I launched wow and on medium settings I was pulling 15fps. So I turned turboboost back on and my fps went back to 60 but the temp was back up and boom ... laptop off for overheating. I contacted dell again on this brand new replacement laptop that just replaced my other brand new dell laptop and they wanted me to send it to a repair center. I'm done, I finally got a manger who is sending me a return label. Washing my hands clean I'll try another brand like msi or razer. Also to touch base on another point of you guys issues, I ran a GPU stress test on my laptop and had gpuz up next to it. Until my temp hit 42C the GPU preformed like trash, as soon as it hit 42, the GPU kicked in and actually started putting out decent numbers on the benchmark.... until it overheated and shut down. RIP

Michael G

Bought 2, one for me and 1 for my boss. Mine is connected to a 32inch 4K monitor and working just fine. Updated the bios when i first got it and use it heavily as an IT Managed Service Provider. Havent had any issues, knock on wood.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Nick R on November 27, 2018, 20:27:35
I had to reply to this after my recent issues. I bought an xps 15 9570 recently. I wanted to start with the xps series at the 9550 but waited for thunderbolt support along with a better  GPU. When they announced the 9570 I figured now would be the time to buy in even though I expected more from the refresh (atleast a 1060 maxq). My first 9570 was a dud, the keyboard worked when it wanted and the keys stuck or sometimes didnt register. I contacted them and they wanted to fix it and I said I didn't pay 2 grand to get a laptop that immediately needed fixed. So they sent me a replacement. I use my laptop for school and for lite gaming like WoW. After trying to play WoW on the new system I knocked my settings from ultra down to medium so I could reach a stable 60fps everywhere. I was a little disappointed that the 1050ti needed medium on a 14 year old game, but whatever. 5 minutes later boom, laptop shuts off and gives me a thermal warning. I thought maybe it was a fluke, the laptop was open and its november and 20 degrees out, my indoor temp is about 74. I download GPuz and try to play wow again. I notice that the temp of both the CPU and GPU sitting at around 94C and spiking to 100C....... I looked up the conversion and was shocked the computer wasnt melting. I contacted dell and they remoted in, saw the errors and wanted me to turn off Intel turbo boost in bios and see if it overheats. I did so and the computer ran like crap, it allotted the CPU and GPU no extra juice when needed. I launched wow and on medium settings I was pulling 15fps. So I turned turboboost back on and my fps went back to 60 but the temp was back up and boom ... laptop off for overheating. I contacted dell again on this brand new replacement laptop that just replaced my other brand new dell laptop and they wanted me to send it to a repair center. I'm done, I finally got a manger who is sending me a return label. Washing my hands clean I'll try another brand like msi or razer. Also to touch base on another point of you guys issues, I ran a GPU stress test on my laptop and had gpuz up next to it. Until my temp hit 42C the GPU preformed like trash, as soon as it hit 42, the GPU kicked in and actually started putting out decent numbers on the benchmark.... until it overheated and shut down. RIP

Hi Nick R,

That also sounds like a VRM cooling issue, which are only passively cooled and overheat if subjected to prolonged load.

There are a few forums detailing how to improve heat distribution, like transferring the heat from the VRMs to the heatpipes, with which I have had some success.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Fabian Fritzer on November 27, 2018, 16:48:43
Damn, when I got my new XPS 15 I didn't worry too much about this issue, as I read about the acknowledgement here. I were expecting a fix at some point (even though it might take a while), so I tried to verify the issue by updating the BIOS. I didn't contact the support about it yet, because there seem so many other people reporting about it. Now we will all have to urge for replacement hardware (with the old BIOS), or what?

Hi Fabian,

If the BIOS is on 1.3.1 I would suggest rolling back to 1.3 and seeing if that helps. Currently, there is no way to roll back from 1.4.1 or 1.5.

If that is not possible then currently it may be easier to ask for an exchange than wait to see if Dell can fix the issue. For what it is worth, both XPS 15 9570 laptops that we have tested this issue on arrived with BIOS 1.3.

Brendan

I have had the exact same issue for months! I also benchmarked with UNIGINE and noticed I was getting 2 completely different scores after the laptop started to warm up. My Adobe applications are constantly crashing and running into GPU issues with rendering and playback.

I created another post on the Dell community forums - linking this article. Disgusting that Dell doesn't listen to its users  >:( The 10+ emails with support have been a joke. Thanks again Alex for looking into this and reproducing the issue!

dell.com/community/XPS/Is-Dell-flat-out-denying-XPS-9570-GPU-problems/m-p/6226339#M21467

resetx

fdell

I just bought my xps 15 and I can't power on the laptop after it goes to sleep mode. Worse, sometimes it won't power on after I shut down the laptop.
How do you guys resolve this problem?

mkdr

Quote from: fdell on December 07, 2018, 04:04:57
I just bought my xps 15 and I can't power on the laptop after it goes to sleep mode. Worse, sometimes it won't power on after I shut down the laptop.
How do you guys resolve this problem?

This can have multiple reasons. The most logic one is, that it does power on, but the screen is just black. This was a bug with older Intel drivers and/or Windows 10. My advice is to do a clean fresh Windows 10 install and intall all latest drivers, let away as much Dell drivers and tools as possible. Use latest drivers from Intel and Nvidia, you also have to disable driver update through Windows 10. There is also a lot more to yo I am just lazy now to explain.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview