News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 17 9700 Review - Multimedia laptop with bright matte FHD panel and long battery runtime

Started by Redaktion, November 01, 2020, 11:22:50

Previous topic - Next topic

quynhchi179

https://linhkienlaptop.net/  pin laptop, Pin Dell, Pin Asus, Pin Hp, Pin lenovo, Pin acer, ban phim laptop, ban phim Dell, ban phim Asus, ban phim Hp, ban phim lenovo, ban phim acer

Jesse

Who the hell uses lots of thunderbolt connectors?  2% of the buyers??!??

If the LG Gram came with a matte screen, and an AMD cpu, it would kick Dell's butt.

gantagavin

Quote from: Dell, fix your prices! on November 01, 2020, 15:07:44
I don't understand the hate that the base model gets. I understand the hate towards the pricer/performance ratio. It's ridiculous.

But imagine this: You are one of the older generation and want a large screen, thus 17 inch is a must. You also want to use it outdoors, so a bright (350+ nits) - and matte! - screen is a must. And you are sensitive to noise, so you want it silent under light loads. Luckily, you demand only very little on terms of performance.

Now look around and find a laptop that matches that description. Apart from the LG Gram, which is also overprices, this is literally the only one on the market right now.
Trust me, I spend a lot of time researching. There are some laptops that come close, but not quite: The HP Envy has a glossy screen, the HP ProBook, Lenovo IdeaPad and Schenker Work have too dim screens and in the Gaming segment - if you can find one with a properly optimized cooling solution that stays silent - then it's thanks to the high-refresh-rate craze that you don't get a bright screen (the Acer Nitro might be a contender).

So yes, this model is overprized, but it fills a place in the market and if money isn't your main concern, it's an option people might be willing to take. Also, if necessary at some later point in time you could still go for an eGPU thanks to Thunderbolt.

Welp, that is a very niche market that Dell try to fill!

Between these two, I think it is better to choose LG Gram over this considering the wide weight difference (even better if you are sensitive to portability, especially the weight part)

Dell, fix your prices!

Quote from: gantagavin on November 05, 2020, 13:11:35
Welp, that is a very niche market that Dell try to fill!

Between these two, I think it is better to choose LG Gram over this

And that's why it's so expensive in its basic configuration - because there isn't a lot of demand. But there is some.

The LG Gram unfortunately has a glossy screen, which is a killer. Also, you still get twice the processor performance from the XPS than from the Gram, and the diffence is 'only' 300 Euro or something.

vit

Dells have an issue (unfortunately no review is able to reveal that) starting from Win 10 2004 update, in which MS disabled usual sleep mode S3 in favor of a so called Modern StandBy. This results in a wierd issue: going to sleep ends up with 50/50 BSOD + reboot or wake up. I would not recommend a Dell nowadays, unless they manage to fix this issue. The discussion on Dell support forum starts on 2020-06-03 and it is still unresolved.

MartinPC

Quote from: Fazal Majid on November 02, 2020, 01:30:33
Now if only someone could come up with a 15" 3:2 display laptop...

I believe the 15" Microsoft Surface Book 2 and the 15" Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 have 3:2 displays.

MartinPC

Quote from: vit on November 11, 2020, 14:18:07
tarting from Win 10 2004 update ... MS disabled usual sleep mode S3 in favor of a so called Modern StandBy.

Is it no longer possible to disable Modern Standby with a simple registry tweak in 2004 and later? (I'm still running 1909 and the tweak "works" in that. It doesn't restore device power configuration tabs, but at least sleep works correctly.)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview