News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Omen 15 (i5-8300H, GTX 1050 Ti, FHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, July 28, 2018, 00:27:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Price-performance stunner. HP's Omen series of affordable gaming notebooks has been on the market for many years. We took a closer look at their current 15-inch Coffee Lake gaming notebook - is it good enough to enter our budget gaming notebook top 10 list?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-15-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-Ti-FHD-Laptop-Review.318520.0.html

Cristian

Who should I believe about the existence of a thunderbolt 3 port on this laptop? Some reviewers say it has it. You guys also need to get your hands on the i7 gtx 1060 144hz version
Look on youtube for matthew moniz's video: HP Omen 15 Review // A Full GTX 1060 + Thunderbolt 3

NikoB

This review is EPIC FAIL for HP new series Omen 15.

Make an excellent laptop and put shitty IPS, dull, disgusting colors and to top it off (apparently to emphasize to those who take this version, that no one, dirt) with a twinkle that is exactly damaging to the eyes. And this despite the fact that the version 2017 had an excellent IPS both in terms of brightness and color rendering and without any hint of flickering. The whole series of new HP Omen 15 is disgraced by the screen ...

If you do not want problems with your eyes, do not buy this version in any case. It's a disgrace for 2018!

NikoB

I do not understand how the editorial board put 80% of the screen on this shame, it's necessary to put a little less than 50%, with PWM at 200 Hz and such a general shame with termisn of  quality, after the IPS in 2017 model..

NikoB

the maximum noise at Idle Max is unacceptably large - 18 W and +11dB (30 vs 41)? What the hell? Engineers than they thought, when they did this?

VexingGecko

Well made review.

Regarding maintenance, I had to consult the hp service manual(you can find it on HP's support page). They made it really unnecessarily tricky to open. After removing the screws you have to open the screen to 90° and lay it on the back of the screen. After that you have to push on the top cover (keyboard area) and release the 3 clips securing the base. Finally (after closing the screen keeping it resting on the screen) you have to shake the left and right sides to release the base enclosure after which you can finally lift it up.

That's probably the single worst opening mechanism I have ever seen in a laptop. Good job HP.

Chad Lucas

For anyone considering the new omen 15, I have the I7, 1060, 256GB SSD/1tb spinner model Microcenter has been selling for 999.  The SSD in mine performs considerably better than this one.  Having spent some time researching available options, for the very high performance in such a compact unit I am happy with the noise level generated.  I do agree the panel is the worst part of the laptop, as it's just so mediocre.    The 144mhz g-sync panel has been tested elsewhere and is much nicer, so for anyone planning on ordering one from HP, I'd definitely recommend paying for the better screen. 

Otherwise I'm very happy with it.  Comparing size, performance, build quality, battery, storage options, port selection, etc. it was a steal at 999 compared to what you can get anywhere else.

Never bothered to look up the service manual, but I replaced the 1TB hard disk with a 2.5 SSD, and didn't have to go through anything special to get it open.  Just remove the screws and a little pressure near the rear vents to pop the clips.  Not hard at all. 

Balkeet

Hp should have given the i7 8750 1060 gpu, 144hz display model for review. They are not helping themselves by getting a nerfed omen reviewed

lmg

worst IPS panel (c) Omen 2017 Dave2D review, and he very rarely if almost never speaks negatively about anything.

And now this.

dv

Thunderbolt only on 1060 & 1070 versions. Can't post link but manual is available on hp site.

JonasD

Are there any significant  differences between the screens on this test model and the 1060/1070 models. I'm aware that they have G-sync and 144 Hz, but in terms of overall screen quality are the screens then more or less identical

Bogdan

How the hack you managed to get 8 hrs of web browsing ? i have the same identical laptop and i`m only getting 4 hours 5 max with powersaving ... and i returned and picked another one, same ... are you payed by hp ?

Dario

There's a 17" model in my country with the 1060 and 120Hz screen, does anyone know if the 120Hz screen has G-sync implemented and what's the overall quality of that screen (brightness, color accuracy...)?

pantera

Hi, i'm from France. And i was wondering is the ref of this product is change from a country from another because i can't find it (except if it's Hp omen 15-dc0001nf), any answers or solutions ?

yogi

hi thank u for excellent article. i would like to know if the thunderbolt is connected to cpu as in alienware or to pch wherein DMI bottleneck comes in. hwinfo shows that gpu uses only x8 pci leaving room for direct cpu thunderbolt. thank u.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview