News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Early benchmark released for Intel's new Core i7-8705G CPU with on-board AMD Radeon Vega graphics

Started by Redaktion, January 21, 2018, 06:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Some early benchmarks of the new Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 taken at CES 2018 show some impressive power from the new Intel Core i7-8705G CPU paired with on-board AMD Vega graphics. While these benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt, game performance hovers just below Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Early-benchmark-released-for-Intel-s-new-Core-i7-8705G-CPU-with-on-board-AMD-Radeon-Vega-graphics.279332.0.html

Muhammad Khizar

Initially they said that this chip is capable of beating 1060 maxQ and now it is below 1050 while the performance is half of 1060 MaxQ! Making spicy Headlines just to gain more reads on the Article! Stupid publishers!

JamesS

There are 2 variants of the Vega M, the GL (65 W TDP) and the GH (100 W TDP). Intel's original release stated that the GH would beat the 1060, while the GL would beat the 1050.

Guess what version the XPS 15 2 in 1 has?

The GL, apparently with a reduced power limit of 45 W.  Given that release isn't for another 2 months, and we're not seeing the final tuned design, I think this is a pretty good showing. The most comparable product on the market right now (other than the Surface Book 2 which costs significantly more) is the Spectre X360 15, which has a MX 150.

MOFO

While it's only one game and drivers are not  fully developed i expected at least GTX 1050 performance.
Is DELL going to use the full 65W version or keep it at 45W?
I hope the HP Spectre x360 performs better and is full power.

karlhugo

Quote from: JamesS on January 21, 2018, 13:30:13
There are 2 variants of the Vega M, the GL (65 W TDP) and the GH (100 W TDP). Intel's original release stated that the GH would beat the 1060, while the GL would beat the 1050.

Guess what version the XPS 15 2 in 1 has?

The GL, apparently with a reduced power limit of 45 W.  Given that release isn't for another 2 months, and we're not seeing the final tuned design, I think this is a pretty good showing. The most comparable product on the market right now (other than the Surface Book 2 which costs significantly more) is the Spectre X360 15, which has a MX 150.

Wouldn't the current XPS 15 be the more reasonable comparison, since it actually has a 1050 as well as an H series quad core? Unless they manage to improve battery time or temperature compared to the current gen I have a hard time seeing this as an upgrade

It is also quite confusing in the source how they alternate between saying they ran the benchmark on very high on one system and high on another. A

gc

The picture shows 3 chips (dark shiny rectangles).
The multichip package has an Intel chip, a Vega chip, and stacked HBM2.

The Intel chip still has an on-chip integrated "iGPU", an HD 630.

The Vega GPU is discrete, not integrated on the same silicon chip as the CPU.
Some sites are calling this on-package GPU a "pGPU".

sb

Quote from: karlhugo on January 21, 2018, 16:59:15
Wouldn't the current XPS 15 be the more reasonable comparison, since it actually has a 1050 as well as an H series quad core? Unless they manage to improve battery time or temperature compared to the current gen I have a hard time seeing this as an upgrade
I think the current XPS 15 isn't a convertible or 2-in-1 model, so isn't a direct  competitor as such. 

Nearest current 15" convertible (touchscreen, folds 360 degress for tablet mode, light & slim, etc) with a H series quad core + discrete graphics would be Lenovo's Yoga 720 15", which can be configured with a 7th gen i7-7700HQ + GTX 1050 (2 GB) and goes for just over $1,000 in America.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview