News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo IdeaPad 320S-13IKBR (i5-8250U, MX150) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, December 21, 2017, 05:57:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Deceptive Packaging. A notebook with the dimensions of an XPS 13, the latest quad-core CPUs from Intel and the MX150 - you might think this is a recipe for sure success. The IdeaPad 320s-13IKBR, which we present in this extensive test report, shows this is not necessarily true.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-320S-13IKBR-i5-8250U-MX150-Laptop-Review.272208.0.html

Dino

Hi, I was decided on purchasing the Ideapad 320 (not s) so the one at 4.84 Puonds/2.2 kg. But the throttling issue got me to stop.

Is that issue just for the slim S version, weighing less than half its brother? Or is the 320 not an Ultra Low Voltage Laptop? Perhaps it is if all Kaby Lakes are?

I just wonder how to make sense of this remark: " In battery operation, the CPU power is not throttled."

Logically I would have thought that the reason for throttling (if TDP was made on purpose by the manufacturer of the laptop: The limit imposed meaning that instead of 45 w it runs on 15w and even drops furthermore upon heating) would have been to save on the battery and extend the battery life time (on one charge).

I would say that having the laptop connected to the powersupply logically would be the scenario in which throttling would become unnecessary. If not being a bug, a production fault.

In case that throttling is a production error, is there any fix: Have they fixed it by now?

Strange problem taking such a promising cpu that elsewhere shows really strong potential.

Nattoha

Hi all,

Many thanks for this very detailed test.
I am living in Japan and unfortunately makers offer less opportunities to customize configs as such I am pretty much dependent on pre-built models.

One model sold in Japan has the same specs as the one which was tested in this review to the exception that the GPU is the integrated Intel UHD 620. I was wondering whether such change could help with some of the negative points that were listed in the reivew such as the CPU not performing at its best and the battery life being mediocre.

Many thanks.

GrubyFromPoland

Nice review. Although I read it few weeks ago I still went and bought it (only difference is I have 250GB SSD).

I'm very pleased with it. Decently slim, good screen with slim bessels.
I don't think it was meant to run some AAA games or anything. In my tests it has enough battery for 5-6 hours of work in mozilla firefox + some music running in background.

I'm not criticising, just asking about your opinion cause my price was lower than yours. I paid 3000PLN for it (~700Euros/800$) from online shop. Don't you think it's a fair price for it? I agree that 1000 Euros would be too much :)

Rio Indralaksono

Humm... I think about processor performance, it can not be reviewed according to clock speed generally, total physical core of 8th gen processor vs 7th gen are significantly different (4 core vs 2 core). I think in daily/light use, there will be significant different when we use 4 core processor rather than 2 core. General user, may not need full potential of the processor clock speed.

About the price, today I purchased (i5 8th gen) as 11,2 mio IDR (about 683 euro), I believe that price is fair enough. You recommend HP envy 13 than Ideapad 320s, that about 300 euro more expensive (i5 8th gen). I think, I'm totally disagree with you.

Damian

Looks good. The positives outweigh the negatives IMO. Reviewer is glass half empty tone, but the incredible display for the price is key here.

It's the 300 line,  why would they make everything incredible?

Excellent choice of corner cutting here by Lenovo.

node

the latest BIOS/firmware update(36ww) is great!
Cinebench score now sit around 590 points even after consecutive runs(first run was 600+).
when throttled, now it hovers around 2.6ghz and the temps are around 70c, on non AC room.
the lowest score i get is 560, after consecutive runs without delay.
all tests were done with AC power, should run even better on Battery.
Great Job, Lenovo!

rengg

Hi, i've updated to bios 36ww and i couldnt get the same performance as yours.
do you have the i7 models?
whats your windows version?
did you undervolt the cpu?

node

Quote from: rengg on November 24, 2018, 03:46:48
Hi, i've updated to bios 36ww and i couldnt get the same performance as yours.
do you have the i7 models?
whats your windows version?
did you undervolt the cpu?

Hi, sorry i forgot to mention that it is indeed undervolted by 0.100v.
I have the i5-8250u model, i think it's exactly the same as the one in this review.
Windows 10 1803 latest update.
I re-tested and the result is the same, i got 616 points.

MM007

Whats are the result of the ww36 bios without undervolted ?
Any improvmant or its the same like the review above ?

node

Quote from: MM007 on November 27, 2018, 08:35:35
Whats are the result of the ww36 bios without undervolted ?
Any improvmant or its the same like the review above ?

It is still a significant improvement over previous(stock) firmware, i get around 545 points first run, and then 522 is the lowest point i got after many continous runs.

rengg

node

maybe due to different apps, settings, temps, etc.
but even then, 560 is high compared to other thin i5-8250u notebooks / ultrabooks.
i'm very happy with the performance and temps on this device and it runs really quiet.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview