News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Live Review: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen 7 1700, Radeon RX 580) Laptop

Started by Redaktion, September 10, 2017, 17:36:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JoaoP

First of all: GREAT ARTICLE! found by accident I am sure to come back and read more.

I do like to check and compare reviews and benchmarks as I am a slow decision person and I was wondering .. would it be possible to get this rig (the GL702ZC) on userbenchmark ? (i did not look for the others they may be there already)

Once again thank you for the review

charlie

This is a true multicore desktop replacement. The dream of content creators. Although I would preferred it combined with a 1070.

FG

AMD Ryzen and AMD Radeon matches together. and of course. This Intel and Nvidia fanboys are really annoying. I've been using AMD + Radeon, Intel + HD Graphics and Nvidia. But for more than a decade of my experiences. I would choose AMD powered devices than Intel and Nvidia ones.

Ryuhoshi

I want one with Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1060. I myself have a radeon in my desktop, but it's absolutely obvious that pascal over polaris is a no brainer in laptops. Unless AMD can somehow catch up in terms of power efficiency, it will stay that way.

Nevertheless, i am actually really impressed with Asus. I wasn't expecting them to be able to cool those things, even if it is loud. I thought it would throttle to hell.
Really well done.

JAH

Really need to keep in mind that the Ryzen is a 8C part with 16 Threads vs 4C/8T and AMD is better in power except the 7700 HQ which uses only 35% less power while having 1/2 the Cores/Threads

LenkMonk

I liked the article, however everything against AMD, as usual (very biased presentation).
Single channel memory not on cons, but Thunderbolt 3 (Intel property) it is.
Single channel mode limits the cpu, slim/small build laptop with 65 w tdp cpu inside (with intel never happens.) limits the cpu/gpu bc of throttling.
72.5 W tdp (from comments)(origianlly rumored 65 w tdp) gpu compared to gtx 1060 80W (MaxQ 60-70), gtx 1070 115 W (MaxQ 80-90), Gtx 1080 150-200W (MaxQ 90-110).
Battery time without switchable graphics always weak in all high end (gamer) laptops. (never more than 2 hours on battery save and than 1 hour under load)

danwat1234

" The Ryzen CPU slightly falls behind the popular notebook CPU Core i7-7700HQ (2.8 to 3.8 GHz, 45 Watt TDP, 6 MB L3 cache) here. Since most modern applications are multi-threaded, this is hardly important."

I disagree. Individual software performance is usually dictated by single cor performance. Specifically bloated software that doesn't take advantage of more than 1 core. It could be a CPU hoggy defragmenter like Defraggler, or a stock market trading software such as Fidelity ATP. Heck, even Windows Disk Cleanup is a single core CPU hog while analyzing the drive.

For that reason I would get a Coffee Lake 6-core 8700HQ 45w TDP laptop CPUe'd laptop.

The Ryzen 7 1700 is a desktop CPU, which means it is an energy hog while not delivering any better single core performance than a 45w CPU, or heck, even a 15w Coffee Lake 'u' CPU for short intervals at 4GHZ.
I do not see the logic behind buying this laptop. A 8700HQ would probably have a 6-core base clock of a good 2.4GHZ, 4-core 3.2GHZ or so, 1-core 4.2GHZ turbo or so. And, would likely find itself in a 4.2 pound MSI GS63VR style thin laptop.. or 5.3 pounds 17" version. So why lug around 10 pounds for more multitasking performance? Get a 16-core desktop for that purpose.

I would love to see AMD's Raven Ridge (codename for their mobile Ryzens) in 45w TDP variety (not just 35w and less like they have in the past!) to really compete with the 7700HQ, to bring up the clockspeed close to it. I hear RR will just be up to 4 cores unfortunately, so they best make the best of it, try to hold their own in the 4 core mobile space.

I hope they go beyond my expectations!

Steevenooo

A great configuration in a really bad chassis and i thought Amd was cheaper but it seems even more expensive than any I7 + 1060 !!!

Charlie

Some people mentioned about 6 core intel cpu. Yes they have double weight and double pricing xotic pc has one already.

For content creators, 3d visualizers and other pros that need cpu multicore performance is a super cheap and light package and is the only way to go for now. I wish to all happy 3d or video rendering on the go   :)

IGTrading

Never in 21 years of working in IT hardware did I see a more biased, poorly written "review" .

This is barely a "hands on" article.

Instead of using a heading title such as "Meet the Most Powerful Consumer Notebook in the World" we get complaints about the battery life ?!?!

In an ultra-high performance DTR notebook ?! Battery life ?!

Testing the notebook in Single Channel while the 2nd DIMM slot is available ?!

I want to assess the maximum performance of the platform, not the particular performance level of a certain configuration.

Also, even if you test this particular configuration, do an apples-to-apples comparison and configure the competing laptops in Single Channel with a 5400 RPM HDD as well.

I really hope ASUS seeds the notebook to other websites for a proper review as well. :(

We plan on buying 2 that will not configured with a SSD and 2 x 8 GB RAM (we don't need more).

For autonomy and battery life, we plan on buying the new HP Envy x360 AMD Ryzen Mobile , 5 or 6 of them.

Incredibly disappointing from NoteBookCheck :(

With regards to ASUS, we're disappointed  by the missing optical drive bay and the lack of a TouchScreen option. Both are now cheap enough to be offered at least as an option.

But yes, there is no professional engineering pride when it comes to an AMD solution....

Cata

If you want to put in a second RAM module, you need to take out the entire cooling system?  :o

I've seen worse, I guess, but still this is not a good idea. Nor are the pipes that will burn that second RAM module.

I haven't seen good laptop design in ages.

cmvrgr

Quote from: JoaoP on September 20, 2017, 02:35:00
First of all: GREAT ARTICLE! found by accident I am sure to come back and read more.

I do like to check and compare reviews and benchmarks as I am a slow decision person and I was wondering .. would it be possible to get this rig (the GL702ZC) on userbenchmark ? (i did not look for the others they may be there already)

Once again thank you for the review

attached the screen capture of userbenchmark

GKDev

Not sure how all of this reviews was accomplished, but...
It's a total fail of Asus ROG Series...
This model should be removed from the store...
Because it has a lot of hardware issues...

Charlie

Do not say BS. There are not any hardware problems. I am using this laptop for many months as a 3d mobile workstation with rendering hours and days.

It's a fantastic laptop and is half the money, less bulkier than N i8700 laptop.

S

Where did you obtain the 76 Wh battery capacity rating? Did you verify it yourselves?

Many owners have reported the design charge capacity is 76 Wh or 74 Wh, but the actual full charge capacity is shown as only ~60 Wh.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview