News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware m15 (i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, December 12, 2018, 08:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Alienware's first ultra-thin laptop maintains the spirit of the original Alienware 15 R4 while propelling the series forward into the super-light gaming category. Of course, some sacrifices had to be made when moving to a smaller design, but it's mostly a success especially in terms of Turbo Boost performance and chassis rigidity.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.374921.0.html

Hmm

A shame there is no information of how much % performance we could expect in addition when enabling Intel XTU undervolting.

Also, the glossy display bezels are horrendously distracting!

_Charly_

"The plastic glossy speaker grilles and bezels contrast the otherwise all-matte look"

It is not  speaker grilles, it is air intakes. Speakers are on the bottom.

So please test temperatures with the laptop close and open ! :)

Razer sharp blade V7

Charly, if true, this is a very peculiar design decision. No idea how good, though.

As for the laptop, it's defo a wolf in a sheep's skin. Looks like a Facebook machine, works like a charm. And with almost no throttling.

Razer sharp blade V7

Seriously though, it would be a perfect choice for the fellow female gamers. Nothing sexist by nature implied, and it can also be suitable for men, but the curves speak for themselves.

Sentenced 1989

Quote from: Razer sharp blade V7 on December 12, 2018, 13:06:19
Seriously though, it would be a perfect choice for the fellow female gamers. Nothing sexist by nature implied, and it can also be suitable for men, but the curves speak for themselves.

What are you going on about?

Razer sharp blade V7

Exactly about what I said. That in terms of design this laptop doesn't look beastly but more suitable for female users - in my opinion. I also apologised that what I said may sound sexist.

Luca Di Costanzo

Hi guys

can I ask if thunderbolt 3 port allow to charge the laptop or it is just a port for transfer data?

thanks in advice

@Luca Di Costanzo

M15 has 180W maximum power consumption and TB3 theoretically allows up to 100W PD however manufacturers commonly assign either 60 or 80W due to cost concerns.

So unfortunately no USB-C charging on this one.

tamametchi

I am really disappointed with this laptop, compared to the older Alienware 15. Yes it is thinner and lighter but input wise, the introduction of a numpad and the off center trackpad are definitely a no go for me. Finding a very powerful laptop without a gaming look and nicer design and with a centered trackpad and without a numpad is hard and with an international keyboard in France is hard. Dell XPS 15, 15 2-in-1, Thinkpad X1 Extreme and Macbook Pro 15 and Surface Book 12 look like my best options and these either come with an ultrabook CPU (Surface Book) or with at best a 1050Ti vs an RTX 1060 in the m15. Not that I need RTX 2060 power right now but that would future proof the laptop.

Kshitij Chawla

Techspot's review mentions the lack of space for air intake from the laptop underside prevents effective cooling.

www[.]techspot[.]com[/]review[/]1820-alienware-m15

Did you guys not experience this?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview