News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Acer Predator 17 (7700HQ, GTX 1070, UHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, May 21, 2017, 17:03:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

4K Gaming. The Acer Predator series stands for classical gaming notebooks, which – in contrast to some of their slim siblings – are purely trimmed for performance. After we tested the Skylake version of the Predator 17 in September of 2016, now the Kaby-Lake model, which is similarly built on the outside, must prove itself.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-17-7700HQ-GTX-1070-UHD-Laptop-Review.223054.0.html

dthrp

Nice performance, but these monster 17" gaming laptops are getting too heavy for edc use. And their weight and prices don't seem to be falling either. There seems to be a general lack of innovation from ODMs to make more portable big laptops.

A lighter system like the 17" Gigabyte P37X comes in at US$1600 for only 2.8 kg with a 1070 card. As there's little info on the web however, I hope NBC could do a review.

huh

Quote from: dthrp on May 21, 2017, 18:45:37
Nice performance, but these monster 17" gaming laptops are getting too heavy for edc use. And their weight and prices don't seem to be falling either. There seems to be a general lack of innovation from ODMs to make more portable big laptops.

A lighter system like the 17" Gigabyte P37X comes in at US$1600 for only 2.8 kg with a 1070 card. As there's little info on the web however, I hope NBC could do a review.

Up until you see it throttling worse than a 1060 laptop in couple of minutes if not seconds. OR when the CPU throttles under the 3ghz range. Can't imagine dissipating 230+ watt in such a slim form factor.

dthrp

@huh:
230 watts is from stress benchmarks and isn't really applicable, unless you play modern titles at absolutely highest settings possible.

Since the release of Pascal chips, ODMs have gotten somewhat better at thermals. Even compact 15"-1070 systems such as Aorus X5, Asus GL502VS and the new Clevo model have all displayed good results after the basic cooling mods.

And if the chassis of Gigabyte's Phantasus P37X is a redesign like their Aero and Aorus series counterparts, then I surmise it will also throttle significantly less than its last gens.

vekspec

I have the 6700HQ/GTX 1060 Gsync version of the Predator 17 and I absolutely love it.

The screen is amazing, speakers are loud, great build quality and easy maintenance. The laptop is ice cold even under stress, at least i cannot feel it.

only the only issue is that the made it so you can't upgrade the memory, at least the ones that come with it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview