News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Book with Performance Base (GTX 965M) Convertible Review

Started by Redaktion, May 04, 2017, 20:46:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Pumped up. Is premium getting even better? Nvidia's current Pascal GPU didn't make it into the new Surface Book but Microsoft managed to fit a Maxwell chip under the hood that should offer plenty of performance. Or does it?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Book-with-Performance-Base-GTX-965M-Convertible-Review.216890.0.html

jmanes

How are you gonna punish this thing for not having WWAN, RJ45, Extra storage bay or trackpoint when the MacBook Pro doesn't have this stuff either lol. I mean I guess if you're judging it from a workstation perspective, yeah, but it is definitely more of a multi-media and creators device. It is even marketed as such. Very perplexing especially since you also marked its thickness and weight against it. What are you reviewing this thing as? An ultrabook? A workstation?

dthrp

just magnesium alloy = it won't survive a waist-height drop.
And a machine that I can't open up myself? No thanks.

Dzani

Nice review.

However, I am not sure about your claim that the base is 100% identical to the non performance surface book. To my knowledge the performace base is thicker and with a noticable bulge. It is also a little heavier.

Also about the battery. As far as I know the capacity has gone up and is not the same for both models (80Wh vs 70Wh for the non performance base).

Gary

Ultimately Why Would You
For less money... greater specs and similar weight I can by an Aero 14..  ohh the Pen..  I get it... Maybe Aero screen should fold flat and be Wacom Stylus capable.. now theres a thought... or how about my Galaxy Note phone/tablet S Pen linking to a PC for sketch input

Frank Worthinton

Adding "(no pun intended)" is very amateurish, this is not reddit.

Also the review criteria

Sid

This is one product I fail to understand. Normal Surface series is okay, but this terrible attempt to create an hybrid ? Bad selection of ports (before people say that USB type C is not relevant, on my desk there are currently four devices using that connector, it is relevant now). Thunderbolt 3..well that is controversial.
Also, the price is even worse than Apple for the hardware. The reason Ferrari and Lamborghini are expensive is because they have the hardware to back the luxury. Microsoft, why you make a device with potential and then ruin it ?   
At least Vaio was ambitious with the form factor, making a tablet hybrid with Quad core processor, and I miss the Z series....even with the caveats, it was thin and powerful.

Lord K

Game rating of a device with a 965M in 2017 is 83 out of 68?! Over 100% when laptop reviews with 1060 are scoring 90%?!

I've said it before, I'll say it again; NotebookCheck reviews are quite thorough and a pleasure to read, but their rating system is outdated thrash with flawed and illogical results.

Rating

The 100% are for the Convertible class, where a dedicated GPU is not often found.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview