News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell Latitude 13 7370 Ultrabook Review

Started by Redaktion, May 18, 2016, 19:05:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The sound of silence. With a frameless InfinityEdge display, Core-m processors and passive cooling, the Latitude 13 7370 is Dell's new interpretation of a classic business notebook. A promising concept – but the execution is not free of some flaws.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Latitude-13-7370-Ultrabook-Review.165492.0.html

Eugene

I'm certainly excited for the coming of fanless business notebooks.
Now to wait for one that doesn't ditch the docking port, has a decent sized Enter key and is made by a company not based in a FVEY country.

Greg

The screen is exactly the same as in the XPS13, meaning there's no turn off switch/option for the adaptive brightness.SOmewhat disappointing since the excuse for having it turned on in the XPS13 was that "by the time they have received feedback about it from the users they have already ordered the screens for the 2015 edition" (March 2015 to be specific).

It's also true Dell was extremely frugal when it came to processor power, my unit was actually configured with 4.5W on mains/4W on battery (43Wh here) with the usual 1 sec boost. Raising the power limit to 6W and undervolting by 90mV the m5 can sustain 1.9ghz dual core which is not bad I guess but the GPU will crash with undervolt over -25mV or so. Speaking of, can you look into the GPU performance? No matter what I only see a few peaks of 700-900MHz, it usually howers at 498MHz even when the CPU is not stressed at all. Very weird.

All in all, having used an XPS13 and now using a 7370 I do enjoy the latter much more for productivity tasks. Not perfect, but getting there. Is it "4%" worse than the MacBook? Yes and no; yes if you can't live with the screen or no, it's actually better if you can and are willing to tweak some power options when you need.

Adrian

The whole laptop is an "updated" XPS 13, with proper touchpad buttons (not the rubbish clickpad they kept trough XPS updates) and SIM/WWAN as the way old M1330.

Thunderbolt/Power ports should have been one on each side of laptop, not both on 1 side.

Personally I'd rather have had the same ULV CPUs as normal XPS 13, Y are a bit too underpowered - maybe if power were raised even higher to 7.5W or so.

Screen resolution is too weird, 225% zoom is problematic in apps - an 1440p scren like Carbon X1 at 200% makes scaling much more normal. If they would have gone with 4K/2160p at least it would have been a standard but as it is too high but not high enough.

Price is sadly too high, even Lenovo provides regular deals for Carbon X1 - Dell business is not interested to sell to SOHO.

Adrian

I have the Dell 7370 and you can turn off the adaptive brightness. It was a big issue when I first had it but is easy to turn off. I remember trying a few things but in the end I could simply do it using windows power/ controls. I am on the latest BIOS if that makes a difference.

Arzon

Quote from: Greg on May 23, 2016, 16:09:51
The screen is exactly the same as in the XPS13, meaning there's no turn off switch/option for the adaptive brightness.SOmewhat disappointing since the excuse for having it turned on in the XPS13 was that "by the time they have received feedback about it from the users they have already ordered the screens for the 2015 edition" (March 2015 to be specific).

It's also true Dell was extremely frugal when it came to processor power, my unit was actually configured with 4.5W on mains/4W on battery (43Wh here) with the usual 1 sec boost. Raising the power limit to 6W and undervolting by 90mV the m5 can sustain 1.9ghz dual core which is not bad I guess but the GPU will crash with undervolt over -25mV or so. Speaking of, can you look into the GPU performance? No matter what I only see a few peaks of 700-900MHz, it usually howers at 498MHz even when the CPU is not stressed at all. Very weird.

All in all, having used an XPS13 and now using a 7370 I do enjoy the latter much more for productivity tasks. Not perfect, but getting there. Is it "4%" worse than the MacBook? Yes and no; yes if you can't live with the screen or no, it's actually better if you can and are willing to tweak some power options when you need.

Hi, I just wondered if you have managed to tweak the CPU performance any further or found an answer regarding the GPU performance? Thanks,

Steve Derrick

I recently received one of these as my main machine from work.  I agree with the review.  From first picking up the laptop, I immediately was impressed st how light it was, it is stylish (carbon), comfy keyboard and something you wouldn't mind showing off in a coffee shop.  But it severely lacks any substance.  As you stated it comes at the bottom of most performance benchmarks by a great deal and I found that having a number of Chrome pages open and a few Excel sheets would render the laptop useless.  Typing ahead and waiting for the machine to process and play catch up, or it pauses while the mouse movement stutters and judders across the screen as the processor frantically tries to keep up.  All in, I have my work cut out...... to do my day job.   Thanks Dell.

Dell User

Quote from: Steve Derrick on May 04, 2017, 17:30:11
I recently received one of these as my main machine from work.  I agree with the review.  From first picking up the laptop, I immediately was impressed st how light it was, it is stylish (carbon), comfy keyboard and something you wouldn't mind showing off in a coffee shop.  But it severely lacks any substance.  As you stated it comes at the bottom of most performance benchmarks by a great deal and I found that having a number of Chrome pages open and a few Excel sheets would render the laptop useless.  Typing ahead and waiting for the machine to process and play catch up, or it pauses while the mouse movement stutters and judders across the screen as the processor frantically tries to keep up.  All in, I have my work cut out...... to do my day job.   Thanks Dell.

Sounds like you have a badly configured system. If you have a number of bad web scripts running then any system would struggle. I have the m7 model of this unit and as the review suggests application performance is quite good. I concur. Even when the system is fairly heavily loaded (8+ GB of RAM usage) applications aren't particularly slow. The hardware can easily cope with many spreadsheets loaded and many Chrome tabs loaded and much more.

Julie

Very good laptop, so many our customers request the battery N3KPR or P63NY   for Dell Latitude 13 7370 Ultrabook. it is very tight time for battery airmail now but we only select the safety way to send.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview