News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI PS42 8RB Prestige (i7-8550U, GeForce MX150) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 09, 2018, 21:07:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A good first try. MSI wants to expand its lineup to include Ultrabooks and the PS42 represents the manufacturer's first attempt at a narrow-bezel 14-inch offering for business users. The result is a unique system that is on par with the XPS 13 in a few ways but with a longer list of flaws.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-PS42-8RB-Prestige-i7-8550U-GeForce-MX150-Laptop-Review.328830.0.html

LM

In the article wifi v.1.3 result is 8.5hours, however, graph and table says it's nearly 15hours. Which one is right? If it is the latter, I should consider buying it at any cost very much seriously.  :D

Fluorescence

I don' know.

Personally I've always found NBC's WiFi 1.3 battery test to be far too lenient. On full charge I get approximately 9 hours on an LG Gram 14 (FHD, i5) with 72 Wh battery. Though to prevent degradation I have set a threshold between 5 - 95% which leads to a more realistic 8 hours of run time.

It's hard to believe a similar 14" FHD laptop with more demanding i7 and MX150 would even get 7 hours on a small 50 Wh battery usually found in 12" size laptops. Accordingly, an idle power consumption of 5.6W is again extremely high for an Intel ultraportable with a lower-powered SATA SSD.

A.

This is strange: the screen captures in this article show the memory module to pe a DDR4-2666, but the product page (link in the article) claims it to be a DDR4-2400 (the same for all the SKUs). Is it possible to obtain a clarification, please?

heffeque

I bought this laptop a few weeks ago and mine came with a "Samsung MZVLB512HAJQ-00000", which is A LOT faster than the one in your review.

Also, it came with Dragon Center, where you can set the fan speed, CPU and GPU limitations, etc. manually (for quieter functioning, or higher performance). TurboBoost is higher when fans are set high enough.

Liam

Quote from: heffeque on September 11, 2018, 03:13:56
I bought this laptop a few weeks ago and mine came with a "Samsung MZVLB512HAJQ-00000", which is A LOT faster than the one in your review.

Also, it came with Dragon Center, where you can set the fan speed, CPU and GPU limitations, etc. manually (for quieter functioning, or higher performance). TurboBoost is higher when fans are set high enough.

Heya, I'm considering this laptop and I'd love to know more about what options you have on yours for overclocking, under/overvolting, etc. Are these options locked out by the bios in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I've seen on other similar spec'd laptops you can really boost performance if those options are available.

heffeque

Quote from: Liam on September 27, 2018, 06:36:35
Heya, I'm considering this laptop and I'd love to know more about what options you have on yours for overclocking, under/overvolting, etc. Are these options locked out by the bios in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I've seen on other similar spec'd laptops you can really boost performance if those options are available.
I'm not sure if a 14" thin laptop is what you are looking for then. I'm not sure sure about overclocking, but these thin things are already in their thermal limit. There is so much that you can do on a thing as thin as this.

Dhemas

I just bought the i5-8250u MX150 version, overall I'm very satisfied with this laptop. Just wondering, is it normal to have temperatures that high on heavy load? Feels so hot when I touch the upper grill while running Borderlands 2

Osqui

It doesn't work with Fedora 29.
I supose it's something about graphics because screen freezes seconds after starting session into Gnome...if entering into runlevel 3 it's all fine. Well...no: wireless card can't be put UP.
So, it's a shame.

MarkusL

I did a review of the 1050 Max-Q version. I can't post links, but you can find the review on reddit in the laptops subredit.

Tldr: The lightest laptop (by far) capable of playing the newest games in med to high details.

justin

on the specifications there are 2 display.. doesn't the laptop have the same display mounted on all the 3 varieties choices? I've got the CMN14D5, should i rely on the display benchmark of yours then?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview