News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T470s (Core i7, WQHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, March 08, 2017, 00:15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

High-end business. We review the top-tier configuration of the new Lenovo ThinkPad T470s. Besides a healthy amount of memory as well as storage and a new Kaby Lake processor, the Chinese manufacturer also implements a brighter WQHD panel. We are a bit surprised by the weak cooling performance, because the ULV processor cannot utilize its full potential.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470s-Core-i7-WQHD-Laptop-Review.200880.0.html

Bruce

Just wondering: are you guys going to do review on ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th gen any time soon? Really looking forward to see how it holds up to its spec  :)

mcmxcii

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is listed in the "Upcoming Reviews" sidebar
(on the right of this website's homepage). Hopefully it will be up pretty soon.

As for me, I'm waiting for the review of the X1 Yoga Gen 2. Mmmm...

Andreas Osthoff

Hi, we expect the test model of the new X1 Carbon by the end of the week.

Luca Repetti

Hello guys, thanks for your work; when are you going to review the new ThinkPad 13? Thanks a lot!

mcmxcii

Quote from: Andreas Osthoff on March 08, 2017, 11:09:31
Hi, we expect the test model of the new X1 Carbon by the end of the week.

Please also include the speed of the microSD card reader,
which was not mentioned in previous X1 Carbon reviews.
Thanks.

brok magellan

"We did not really understand the solution with two integrated batteries "  Lenovo might be recycling old batteries... :)

You could try increasing thermal limits for yourself in uefi / bios, but i think it difficult task, you must have IFR uefi values descriptor and look for variables like trip point/temperature. and then boot into grub with uefi and issue commands setup_var [num] [value]

The decreased frequency on battery could be explained with TDP level value OR Disable turbo flag. Use throttlestop to set/read.

VCC

Is it possible to undervolt the processor on this machine? May help with the throttling.

Anonymous

Quote from: brok magellan on March 09, 2017, 11:59:36
"We did not really understand the solution with two integrated batteries "  Lenovo might be recycling old batteries... :)
Sure, they are most certainly interested is reusing as much parts as they can with the previous models (so it's easier to keep the FRUs and cheaper for the production line).

However, I think the root cause may come down to the design of the unit, which is actually a T460s chassis that in turn was a shrunk T450s.
The T450s had the much useful power-bridge (that allows to replace the battery without powering down the machine). When the shrunk for the T460s was made, they could no longer keep the removable back battery, so they were faced with an hard choice: either redesign the whole thing from scratch, so that weight distribution and hinges actually work properly *or* just hide the (previously) external battery inside the case and get away with tweaks to an existing design.

I think we all know what the choice was...

Erravi

It appears that author of the review received a t470s from Lenovo with a good quality AUO screen... History predicts that most of the "ordinary" customers will very likely receive laptops with lower quality screens (LG?) from now on :)

questions

I am confused regarding the findings of the CPU being temperature throttled.

In the review text it is stated

"Another problem is the performance on battery power, because the CPU cannot even maintain its base frequency. We can see between ~2.2-2.4 GHz in Cinebench R15 Multi, despite the High Performance power plan. The result is a score of just 203 points, a 45% performance drop! The adjustment of the BIOS settings did not help, either."

However, in the performance charts the T470s comes out on top in all tests and the Cinebench R15 Multi score in the chart is 386 and not 203!?!

What gives?

Maciek

JanM

Does is work with Ubuntu 16:04 LTS (on another distro) out of the box?

Regards, Jan

CnZhx

Could you please confirm the type of memory is 2400MHz instead of 2133MHz? I could not find the option of 2400MHz from Lenovo website.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview