News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T470 (Core i5, Full-HD) Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, February 24, 2017, 11:48:14

Previous topic - Next topic

E.Banes

The storage option is a bit confusing.  A nvme/pci-e m.2 SSD is installed in the 2.5" bay via adapter.  How does a 2.5" bay have connections for both SATA and PCI-e?  Is the adapter a perfomance-killing nvme-to-SATA?  That would make the more expensive nvme ssd an worthless upgrade....    If someone can clarify, please do.

dthrp

Quote from: E.Banes on April 19, 2017, 05:06:53
The storage option is a bit confusing.  A nvme/pci-e m.2 SSD is installed in the 2.5" bay via adapter.  How does a 2.5" bay have connections for both SATA and PCI-e?  Is the adapter a perfomance-killing nvme-to-SATA?  That would make the more expensive nvme ssd an worthless upgrade....    If someone can clarify, please do.

Yes, hence it is connected by x2 PCIe lanes instead of x4. 4k random operation speeds will remain almost unchanged, whereas the (more noteworthy) sequential transfer speeds will be halved in theory.

But a NVMe SSD will also drain 13~18% more battery than a typical M.2 SATA 3 SSD.

Alessandro

Why did they choose a Precision Touchpad? They're awful compared to Synaptics touchpad with no customisable options.

Storage option with WWAN

Hi all,

Can anybody please let me know, if i can use WWAN slot for storage.
As i am aware that is slot can't be shared.

Please note i would like to use only for storage,

Anto

Sanciny

Hi !
Please help me, I have a question about power bridge system. You say that system drains external baterry first. And here comes my question: isn´t it a little disadvantage when it comes to battery life (external) ? Because it seems that external battery drains to 0% very often which is not very good. Is there some option to use both batteries at the same time to protect both baterries from total discharge ? Or am I understand it wrong ?

Rem

Hi !
The external battery will drain to 5% before the laptop switches to the internal. I haven't found a setting to change this, but I wouldn't worry too much about the long term battery life of the external battery, since you can easily replace it (a new one costs around $70 dollars on eBay, and then you can always use the old one as additional capacity in hot-swapping).

Charge to 100%, drain to 5% -- in my personal experience (YMMV) I found that doing the "right" thing when it comes to preserving battery health (charging to 80% max and draining to 20% min) doesn't do much to prevent capacity loss -- my previous laptop (a Thinkpad Yoga S1) lost around 20% capacity in 3 years despite a strict adherence to the above ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hrin

Just as an user of t470 , one thing that stick's out immediately is lack of ergonomic thinking.  HDMI port is on right handside. Now when connected to the hdmi cable unless you are lefthanded  cabel is in the way of you using a mouse. This is quite annoying . Will report more issues if i find some.

Bennie

Uhmm, I think there's a mix up as regards to the way in which the battery discharge in T470. You stated that the system drains the external battery first before the internal one...., However, the reverse is the case here, the system actually drains the internal battery first before the external.

I don't know if this intentional from Lenovo as the battery discharging process is defaulted, thus, not giving users the option to chose which battery discharges first. To me, this makes no sense really.

What's the point of having two batteries without the feature of choosing which one discharges first.

Ps; I think you may need to update that in the article.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview