News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware 13 R3 Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, February 19, 2017, 19:36:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Florian Glaser

Quote from: ITexpert77 on June 01, 2017, 17:27:08
Great review, fantastic laptop, very good value actually compared to the Lenovo Yoga OLED (same price but no graphics card).
But you are scaring me with the PWM flickering stuff!
But then you write that the backlight flickers, but there IS NO BACKLIGHT, it's an OLED screen! Perhaps you are wrong, and this part of the review was for the IPS model?
Can OLED screens really have PWM flickering? I thought they actually decrease the intensity/voltage of every pixel independently?
I have an LG OLED TV, and Samsung OLED tablet and they are absolutely amazing, I want to buy an OLED laptop (pity they only go up to 14")
Please clarify the PWM flickering backlight.
Also are you sure the OLED model is the one that is so glossy, not the IPS?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Display-Comparison-OLED-vs-IPS-on-Notebooks.168753.0.html

Look at the PWM-section.

Paisa Go

I purchased Alienware Cassini 13FCTO on January 18, 2018.  To qualify my review,  as a consumer, let me explain, that I am a software engineer, professional 3D modeling, architectural designer, possess an A+ PC certificate and taught Operating systems and introduction to computers at several universities.  In sum, I have been using computers as a professional for over 20 years.  I purchased this laptop to use specifically as a secondary laptop for business to handle 3D modeling for architectural design and to work with accounting software for tax customers.  I need it something powerful but, portable and at the beginning I was very excited with the purchase but, that lasted until mid May.  That was a short lived satisfaction for a $3K priced laptop. The laptop started failing and failing it did, and kept doing it and Alienware would not allow a replacement of the laptop. 
First, the laptop just shutoff in the middle of a 3-d modeling project, no warning, no nothing, lost all my work from the day and all my programs as the fix was to replace the motherboard that came with a new OS license. The first tech could not replace the motherboard because the screw that held the wifi was stripped.  (so much for QA.) Next the laptop started freezing and would lose anything from I had not saved.  Three OS repairs and reinstall later I was told that I needed a clean Windows install,    After that, I started getting the blue screen of death and intermittent errors about the AC charger, the video card, Windows hello not working,  a weird graph bar on the top left of the screen and guess what? none of the times, the laptop allowed me to save my work.  Some times the laptop lasted so little time up that I could not even make it through the login it froze trying to get into Windows! Please, if you have the money to spend, spend it on a product that is better built and where the customer is treated with respect and not made go through a horrible ordeal with a lemon laptop.  I lost a few clients because I could not deliver the project on time and thousand of dollars in time spent backing up, restoring, repairing and redoing work and yet, no replacement!!! (June 2018)

Paisa Go supergey

When will the Dell Alienaware 13 R4 (2018) be released?
Around November again like the 13 R3?

I hope they introduce the Nvidia GTX 1160 in it as well as Intel Core i7-9850HK, same excellent keyboard without silly side buttons and slimmer display bezels as well as full size SD card reader.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview