News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ProArt StudioBook Pro X W730G5T laptop review: Too expensive for a hexa-core workstation

Started by Redaktion, November 15, 2020, 23:26:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

For mobile workstations, performance is the top priority. Accordingly, Asus equips its ProArt StudioBook Pro X W730G5T with the Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000 but does without eight-core CPUs. This is a mistake, because the price is too high for the built-in CPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ProArt-StudioBook-Pro-X-W730G5T-laptop-review-Too-expensive-for-a-hexa-core-workstation.504185.0.html

S.Yu

Coming from Asus this is shockingly expensive. From their phone releases I was expecting far more bang for the buck. Even worse that mediocre screen doesn't even cover ARGB, at this price it's simply embarrassing.

Mikita

Again, over $7,000 for a "workstation" with:
1) An outdated CPU which is around 75% weaker in multithreaded apps compared to Ryzen 4800H.
2) Inaccessible RAM slots.
3) Average IPS screeen.
4) 90+ temps inside / 57 on the keyboard at load.
5) 33% less batery life compared to Dell Precision and still weights 4kg with charger.

Is there any single reason in buying it? 75 fps in 5 year old game? Too expensive for it. And how about introducing some new game tests such as Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, Dirt 5? Of course this is a "workstation" laptop, but since it is barely useful for work...

xpclient

Horrible machine considering the ridiculous price point and outdated hardware. Also, the minimum temperature/idle temperature seems to be high despite the loud fans and high minimum power consumption. This does not indicate a high quality cooling system and power management.

I would rather have dedicated touchpad buttons than this ScreenPad nonsense.

_MT_

This model got on my radar because of the 8:5 aspect ratio and large cursor keys. But I seem to recall that the EU price was €5000, not €6500 for an RTX 5000 configuration. It might have been slightly different, but I can't see anything that would explain a €1500 difference. If it really is 6500, then it's too much. 5000 would correspond to the components. I think a comparable P17 is around 5500. And I doubt Asus can compete in support.

It really comes down to the GPU. Quadro RTX 5000 is very expensive (more expensive than 2080 Ti was). And the people who need that kind of GPU, don't necessarily need the most powerful CPU. They went with Xeon, rather than a cheaper Core processor, and sacrificed some multi-core performance (for example, Lenovo charges more for a 6 core Xeon than an 8 core Core in the P17). It could probably do well as a CAD workstation. You can criticize the limited options, but I don't think this particular configuration deserves it. It's certainly niche. But pretty much all workstations are. Workstations are not like gaming computers. You can have very imbalanced workloads and you tend to stick with them. And because high-end components are even more expensive as the market is small, you don't want to pay for something you don't need.

S.Yu

Quote from: _MT_ on November 16, 2020, 10:29:12
This model got on my radar because of the 8:5 aspect ratio and large cursor keys. But I seem to recall that the EU price was €5000, not €6500 for an RTX 5000 configuration. It might have been slightly different, but I can't see anything that would explain a €1500 difference. If it really is 6500, then it's too much. 5000 would correspond to the components. I think a comparable P17 is around 5500. And I doubt Asus can compete in support.

It really comes down to the GPU. Quadro RTX 5000 is very expensive (more expensive than 2080 Ti was). And the people who need that kind of GPU, don't necessarily need the most powerful CPU. They went with Xeon, rather than a cheaper Core processor, and sacrificed some multi-core performance (for example, Lenovo charges more for a 6 core Xeon than an 8 core Core in the P17). It could probably do well as a CAD workstation. You can criticize the limited options, but I don't think this particular configuration deserves it. It's certainly niche. But pretty much all workstations are. Workstations are not like gaming computers. You can have very imbalanced workloads and you tend to stick with them. And because high-end components are even more expensive as the market is small, you don't want to pay for something you don't need.
Razer Blade 15's RTX5000/32GB/1TB variant asks for $4000 with a far more proper OLED screen, which is actually comparatively reasonable, and Xeon is thoroughly meaningless considering Intel's current position in the competition. And there's no significant price difference between 15" and 17" notebooks. Basically there's just some more RAM, but whether one needs 32GB with all that VRAM already available...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview