News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Acer Aspire Switch 12 Alpha SA5-271-56HM Convertible Review

Started by Redaktion, June 27, 2016, 09:12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Absolute silence. A liquid cooling system in a convertible doesn't work? Of course it does! For the first time ever, Acer installs a noiseless cooling technology in a high-performance convertible based on Intel's Core i5 and i7 processors. This innovation is not the only reason that its going to get rough on the competition.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-Switch-12-Alpha-SA5-271-56HM-Convertible-Review.167947.0.html

Jesper

Two typos/mistakes:

"an average of 238 cd/m²". Should be 328

"16:9". Should be 3:2

Zanny

Thanks for the review.  I am strongly considering this device seeming I can now order the 8GB/256GB model from the US Acer website and have it delivered quickly to Australia for less than AU$1000 and therefore not pay sales tax.    This is about half the price  of a Surface Pro 4 without a keyboard!

Just a question, as you mentioned in the review, the Asus Transformer Pro 3 has Thunderbolt 3.  I really do want that feature of using an external GPU, but any idea on the release date for that model?  I heard July/August but then I also heard Q4.  I might get the Acer in the meantime.

With this Acer, it would be my first USB 3.1 device.  Is there a way I can connect my two external 1920x1080 21.5" monitors via USB 3.1 when I am using this 2-in-1 at my desk seeming there is no HDMI?

Thanks

wagner

wouldn't it be better for comparison's sake if you had used Edge instead of Firefox for the wi-fi test?

Eliptique

Any one knows / or tested what happens if the device used upside down or flat on the table. The liquid cooling system required the hot piece (CPU) must be kept always below the fluid tank, as far as I know.

Thanks

Eric D

@ Eliptique :
"hot piece (CPU) must be kept always below the fluid tank"
You are assuming it's a passive thermal convection system:
It's more likely to be a gas/liquid phase-change heat-pipe.
It's just a copper pipe with a liquid (at the right pressure) to boil off the hot end, blow down to the cold end and condense back into liquid there. A wick conveys the liquid back to the hot end. It should work any way up.

@ Zanny
"seeming there is no HDMI"
Seems you can run DisplayPort over USB-Type-C !
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced
Although Acer also sell a USB 3.1 dock 'ADK620', which might have an external GPU, rather than DisplayPort pass-thru ?

Fres

Hey I was thinking of getting this for use in schoolike I like the idea of writing on the tablet instead of a book this has been my favourite choice so far would you reccomend purchasing it for everyday use?
(Use including writing,typing, basic statistical programmes and calculations, and maybe playing a simple game like fallout 3)

Farmerxt

I think my ssd died and I need to open it. I I don't find any tutorial for beginners internet how to open

Hate It

This is one of the worst acer products i have used. From day one it slowed down to the point where 85% of it was useless. I'm considering smashing it just to claim the insurance on this expensive turd.

Piero

AMAZING !!! You all, Acer SWITCH is just amazing in two unparalled features: the hollow kickstand and the liquid cooling !!!. 1) the hollow kickstand allows to hung it up (to seat backs in flight, in buses, etc., and) to a sleak plastic double clothes hanger fixed underneath my standing desk (manual sit/stand), gaining space on desk, and connected with three 24" portrait monitors above the desk (total 42" landscape together) (I use 3 Cable Matters USB-HDMI interfaces). 2) the liquid loop allows mind concentration, eliminating any air fan noise. There is no competitor for these two features!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max_

Acer switch alpha 12: using a tablet with an external monitor connected, you risk damaging the motherboard. This is a very common case that also happened on my device. He worked for 1 year and suddenly stopped. Damage to the USB-C processor line. I found out on the website that they have a lot of tablet or laptop devices with damage resulting from connecting an external monitor. And this is not the case because of not caring about the correct connector with the monitor.

nPrev

I have three Acer Switch Alpha 12s, and a Switch 5. Although we're in 2022, in my opinion, they're still the best, most powerful, fanless tablets, I know of. 
They're also sold very cheap today, and are still easy to take apart.

I usually get these for $90 each, and it usually comes with everything.

If anyone knows of any better ones, feel free to share it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview