News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

PWM Ranking - Notebooks, Smartphones, and Tablets with PWM

Started by Redaktion, April 24, 2016, 10:53:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Upon seeing here that an iPhone 7 Plus has "0" PWM I ordered a refurbished one from the on-line Apple store. I am very disappointed that I still get migraines from it. I must be making a mistake some where -- any thoughts?

Paladius

And the question is - which top rated smartphone to buy if you are eye sensitive? My favorite is down (Samsung Note 9)..... any suggestion? (without iphone)

Dmitry

"Smaller values are better" - whaat? Is 50 Hz flickering is better than 5000 Hz?

cubeover

Just checked with my camera and NOKIA Lumia 930 pulsates at 120Hz.  Painful! Mitigated by manually switching display brightness to high.

Curious

Since we can always return new purchased laptop within a few days, I would check PWM on my laptop first thing and then return it, if it had bad PWM. What would be the best way to do it? Is there any software, or do I have to buy special equipment...? thnx.
PS: I do not think a metod of moving a line on monitor is gonna do it, since PWM is very high these days, or am I wrong?

Klaus Hinum

So an "easy" way to do it is using e.g. the highspeed camera mode on most modern smartphones. With 120fps e.g. you should be able to see flickering up to relative high frequencies. Low frequencies can even be seen in any camera monitor or on the smartphone screen when taking a video. The high PWM modes in the kHz range however can only be captured with high end probes like we use.
Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

Klaus Hinum

Regarding the "smaller values are better", that comment is meant for benchmarks marked with a * as this list can be used for more than just showing PWM values (where higher is of course "better", but 0 is best).
Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

Wassthi

Wassthi

cubeover

Instead of 0, you should have used infinity symbol "∞" so that it is sorted together with higher numbers - not lower ones like now. Logical.

Marty McLeod

I can definitely say that the following 2 phones cause eye strain:

- Huawei Mate 20 X (OLED)
- Motorola Moto G7 (LCD)

Both caused vision problems, head discomfort, and a terrible feeling after a short amount of use (20 minutes or less, but I can tell in less than about 60 seconds of use).

Now I'm stuck selling the Huawei, still new in plastic. I returned the Moto G7 immediately. Motorola was really good about the return process (thank goodness!).

I'm going to check out Asus ZenFone 5Z & the new ZenFone 6. At this point it's getting ridiculously hard to find a nice big phone with good camera what won't cause suffering.

I should add that I also had issues with recent HP 24" monitors I bought with LED lighting and had to go back to older standard monitors which are ok for my eyes.

Thanks for this great list!

PWM BURNS MY EYES ><

Fellow PWM and flicker sensitive users who get headaches and eyestrain please let us know what new phones work for you.

It is getting harder to find ones that do, even some listed as 0 PWM seem to cause problems so please add ones that work for you in the comments list.

Thanks

Saha

What about apple iphone 6s and 6s plus.. Are they pwm free or not??.. please tell me..thanks

Wasthi

display_investigator

Dear community, I am having a difficult time finding HP ProBooks with a zero PWM. Ideally I wish to purchase an HP ProBook 455R G6 with a zero PWM. What model names (7character identifier) have a zero PWM?
I would be satisfied with any of these HP ProBook model names (predominantly from the 400 HP ProBook series): 5PP64EA, 6BN82EA, 6BN82EA, 6HL92EA, 6HL93EA, 6HL94EA, 6HL94EA, 6HL95EA, 6HL96EA, 6HL96EA, 6HL98EA, 6XE26EA, 7KN80EA, 8MH06ES, 8MH06ES, 8MH09ES, W4P20ES. Thanks for any tip. Regards.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview