News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP ZBook 15 G3 Workstation Review

Started by Redaktion, April 06, 2016, 08:46:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Extremely expensive, extremely good? HP's mobile workstations are traditionally some of the most expensive devices on the market. This did not change with the new ZBook 15 G3. But can the notebook for 4,000 Euros meet our high expectations?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ZBook-15-G3-Workstation-Review.162600.0.html

Puppy

Inspired by Lenovo :( Crappy flickering display and other issues for premium price.

Dr.Mabuse

Just unpacked my ZBook 15 G3 to find that it does not have a docking port as the previous generation had. If you want to use your HP 2012 docking station think again. For me this is a deal breaker and I will return my machine.

This is the same logicla fallcy as with the HP slim docking station. Despite two Display Ports they can only display the same screen... doh! If you want to extend your screen you need an USB to DP adapter.

Came here for alternatives. Lenovo P50 or P70 mentioned in the article looks interesting.

shuby

Had a Zbook15 G3 for last 10 months... My previous machine was a EliteBook 8570w which was a proper workstation compared to this one. The biggest failure is that the new z book has no proper dock. It has a "port extension".  Don't expect monitors and other devices to work before windows loaded. And even then it has some issues. And networking... you have to configure 2 network adaptors which are totally different. When you plug in you "dock" you just get a new network. And i also miss the esata port and missing display link port. Why does a workstation have a hdmi output? I would expect it on a low budget media laptop not here. Well to be honest on a workstation like this i would expect EVERY port! the more the better! I am also missing the cd tray... bu ok that is kinda obsolete but was useful for an extra disk. Almost forgot the display lid. On the old laptop i could tilt it until it was horizontal. Here not.
HP next time you make a good workstation don't ruin it. If a thing works leave it like it is or just maybe add some more features.

Gringo

Hi,
Any chance there will be long term review of zbook 15 g3, to see if heat-noise issue has been resolved?
Thanks

Kylr

As a computer enthusiast I am extremely fussy on what I buy, and I must say I have really enjoyed my experience on the G3.

What a great all round laptop for business, design, media and the occasional bit of gaming.

well done HP

TJ Hessmon

I have the Zbook 15 G3, When I first was able to spec the machine of course I chose the quad core i7 with 16Gb ram a 1tb hard drive and all the bells and whistles....  Who wouldn't.   I was thinking .... yea finally a Ferrari... but to my surprise, I actually got a YUGO with a chevy 350 welded into the engine bay, with only about 3 or 4 of the cylinders working. 

Its been a problem child since day one. My Zbook has been in the hands of IT or HP for more weeks than I was ever able to use it. Its had the video card replaced, and about 3 or 4 hard drives by now as well as the power supply replaced.   Just got it back last week and it failed again. It choked when I opened my 4th minor excel spreadsheet and shut down Excel. Sometimes it will run as slow as a 286 and then other times it will breeze along as one would expect a quad core i7 to do. 

On the positive side, it has the heft of a 1942 Buick Roadmaster, so it makes for an excellent defensive weapon.

I have a couple of elite books which are fabulous and reliable machines (840 and 850).  The 850 is the standby machine I use when my Zbook is in the shop (which is most of the time).

If One is considering a Zbook ... One should consider the elitebook instead and get an external CD/DVD if necessary.....  I cannot recommend ever acquiring a Zbook.

TJ Hessmon

Forgot to add one item to the list.  My Zbook runs hot... I mean burn your hand hot.  I never have a problem keeping my coffee warm... All I have to do is place my coffee cup near the exhaust port and it will keep that bugger warm all day long .....
Make sure its turned off before placing your Zbook in your back pack or you may catch the back pack on fire... Seriously the machine runs that hot. I keep mine on a surface I know is not flammable, when its actually working that is. 

Piere

Hi there!
Any info about HP ZBook 15 G2 uses PWM or not?
I see that G2 uses the same Samsung SDC5344 IPS panel, but the PWM info is empty in your table. So it means there is no pwm at all or just not tested yet?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview