News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI GS40 6QE Phantom Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, January 18, 2016, 01:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Hot performance dwarf. Skylake quad-core, GTX 970M and a decent 14-inch display: MSI's device in the pretty narrow segment of ultra-mobile gaming notebooks can meet all the performance expectations. So much performance does, however, require some compromises in other areas.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS40-6QE-Phantom-Notebook-Review.158147.0.html

nico_ph

Very comprehensive review as usual. Kudos for that!

I own one & it's an upgrade from an old Clevo barebone with GT 640M. I'm pretty much impressed with everything especially the supported ports & compact size.

Nahimic(software) for audio has abysmal volume output. Ditched it with a lower Realtek driver version but with the Realtek HD Audio Manager and simply set Loudness Equalization + Live EQ Preset. I raise this with MSI support & I do hope they(or Nahimic) will do something about it.

The display port (to HDMI) only works at random, Maybe the cable's to blame I don't have a spare one to verify.

I don't know if this is a Windows 10 issue, but closing the lid still makes it Sleep even if set to Do Nothing on battery or when plugged in or both. I wanted it setup to sleep on battery but not when plugged in as I often use an external monitor when gaming with it.

And yeah, any idea on how to speed up wake up from sleep(as fast as the one on OS X)? Replaced the 1TB with a 256GB SSD and I think that's not the case.

Kiani

What were the temperatures of CPU/GPU under load? Did it throttle?
How much watts does it require? You mentioned 150 Watts adapter doesnot pull it throough.

OneLap

Quote from: nico_ph on January 20, 2016, 03:38:11

Nahimic(software) for audio has abysmal volume output. Ditched it with a lower Realtek driver version but with the Realtek HD Audio Manager and simply set Loudness Equalization + Live EQ Preset. I raise this with MSI support & I do hope they(or Nahimic) will do something about it.

Curious to know what software/driver you used and where you got it.  I really hate the low sound level on this unit.

nico_ph

Quote from: OneLap on January 29, 2016, 02:53:35
Quote from: nico_ph on January 20, 2016, 03:38:11

Curious to know what software/driver you used and where you got it.  I really hate the low sound level on this unit.

MSI support provide me with http://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/ad/7368_PG403_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL_6.0.1.7368.zip

It's an older version of Realtek drivers but it's signed. After install try going to Realtek HD Audio Manager and tick "Loudness Equalisation" & use "Live" EQ Preset and you'll see the difference in overall volume level. Try experimenting with other settings maybe there's a better tweak than mentioned.

izvarin

Can anyone get any sound over HDMI with this device?
Mine used to work, after several firmware and driver updates it stopped doing so.
Not even a clean install with original drivers can bring it back. I'm curious

Marian

same here.. but i have tons of prblems with official supported drivers.,

jake long

hi there can anyone please tell me what games you can play on this laptop like black ops 3 and more just send me a list of game what i can play on before i buy one

thank you

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview