News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (i7, 4K-HDR, GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2018, 00:40:29

Previous topic - Next topic

UserOne

I have bought a X1 Extreme with core i7 8850H CPU, 16GB RAM.
My benchmark results come nowhere near the ones mentioned in the test, although I have a better CPU option.

PCMark10 score 4447:
Essentials: 8239
Produktivitaet: 6039
Digital Content Creation: 4799

Cinebench 15R:
CPU Single Core 120
CPU Multi Core 602
OpenGL 54.10 fps

What is going on? Can anyone else please share their results? Do you come anywhere close to the results mentioned in this test?

wade

I have one of these and I would point out a few things the reviews miss.

1. The Screen is BRIGHT.... Tons of people rip on it because of the measured NITS but lemme tell you, this is the brightest laptop I have ever used. The 4k Pannel is also amazing

2. It the Geforce 1050TI AND the UHD onboard card. This surprised me but the design is great. It only uses the Geforce when it has to saving battery.

3. IT has a spare M2 Slot. This is what made me choose it over the dell. I dropped another 512gb m2 in it and I have a TON of space now

4.It does get hot in your lap and I had to buy one of those air coolers fo rat home but you really cannot beat this machine...

My only qualm is the ease the trackpad gets dirty.

Pezolo

Dear Andreas,
Thank you very much for the review

Do you believe the screen reviewed is the same as the 4k touch display on  the Thinkpad P52?

I'm considering buying the P52 but there is no review for the 4k display option and the fhd panel doesn't fit my needs unfortunately in terms of color accuracy
Thank you very much in advance for the reply

Digital Fury

Just upgraded from a MBP 2017 "best" to this specific configuration and couldn't be happier. I use the machine for work during the day, and for personal use during nights and weekends. I have loads of TB3 and USB devices, including an UAD Apollo and musical equipment, from my previous Mac. Everything works just fine, including Windows 10.

1. A real keyboard, OMG is the MBP one an annoying piece of crap compared to the Lenovo. The pressure required could be a bit less IMO
2. Seven standard Phillips screws at the back and you are in. Took me 5 mins to upgrade to 32 Gb and an additional 1 To Samsung 970 EVO. The stock 512 Gb Samsung one has performance very close to the 512 Gb in the MBP, in fact I suspect it's the same part 
3. The screen is *very good* and the overall performance of the machine is excellent. I just wished they would have put a faster GPU in there, but I'll probably get an eGPU at some point with a RTX 2080 Ti or similar
4. The Lenovo "experience" - e.g. Lenovo Vantage software, support and web site is good and professional
5. The trackpad and point are just fine, none of that stupidly over-sized Mac trackpad and touchbar nonsense. The fingerprint scanner works
6. The build quality is just fine, the weight very similar and the style understated and professional (you will not be rocking an MSI or Razer gaming LED gore fest)
7. The Fn key on the left is dumb, but you can invert it with the Ctrl one in "Vantage" and just forget about it in a day or two
8. Two TB3 ports on a Windows machine !
9. The 135W charger is very compact and charges the machine much faster than the 85W MagSafe on the Mac
10. All my software works just fine under Windows 10

Price was not really a factor for me, but the price is "correct" and even decent compared to the MBP. I am (was) the core customer segment for Apple, and they should be very worried. IMO if you buy a MBP over this Lenovo, especially with the current keyboard and all the Apple shenanigans and f*ck up of the post-Jobs era, you are seriously delusional.

Hope this quick feedback helps any potential buyer sitting on the fence.

karel

Quote from: Digital Fury on April 01, 2019, 22:25:38
Just upgraded from a MBP 2017 "best" to this specific configuration and couldn't be happier. I use the machine for work during the day, and for personal use during nights and weekends. I have loads of TB3 and USB devices, including an UAD Apollo and musical equipment, from my previous Mac. Everything works just fine, including Windows 10.

1. A real keyboard, OMG is the MBP one an annoying piece of crap compared to the Lenovo. The pressure required could be a bit less IMO
2. Seven standard Phillips screws at the back and you are in. Took me 5 mins to upgrade to 32 Gb and an additional 1 To Samsung 970 EVO. The stock 512 Gb Samsung one has performance very close to the 512 Gb in the MBP, in fact I suspect it's the same part 
3. The screen is *very good* and the overall performance of the machine is excellent. I just wished they would have put a faster GPU in there, but I'll probably get an eGPU at some point with a RTX 2080 Ti or similar
4. The Lenovo "experience" - e.g. Lenovo Vantage software, support and web site is good and professional
5. The trackpad and point are just fine, none of that stupidly over-sized Mac trackpad and touchbar nonsense. The fingerprint scanner works
6. The build quality is just fine, the weight very similar and the style understated and professional (you will not be rocking an MSI or Razer gaming LED gore fest)
7. The Fn key on the left is dumb, but you can invert it with the Ctrl one in "Vantage" and just forget about it in a day or two
8. Two TB3 ports on a Windows machine !
9. The 135W charger is very compact and charges the machine much faster than the 85W MagSafe on the Mac
10. All my software works just fine under Windows 10

Price was not really a factor for me, but the price is "correct" and even decent compared to the MBP. I am (was) the core customer segment for Apple, and they should be very worried. IMO if you buy a MBP over this Lenovo, especially with the current keyboard and all the Apple shenanigans and f*ck up of the post-Jobs era, you are seriously delusional.

Hope this quick feedback helps any potential buyer sitting on the fence.

Thinking the exact same thing, already moved to a windows workstation after my 12 core mac pro was failing me because of lack of Nvidia graphics support on OSX.

Now also leaving my aging Macbook pro retina 2012 for a windows laptop.

I tried the MSI PS63 first because they are the only ones offering a U processor with a 1050 gpu. The battery life is very good. 5-6 hours of editing in Resolve. 10 Hours on doing office tasks or streaming video. But the major downside is build quality. The PS63 only wheighs 1.65 Kg but it also feels like it would fall apart after a single drop. Construction is paneled, screen flexes etc...

I tend to keep my laptops 5 years with an battery replacement halfway. I can't imagine the PS63 would last more then 2 years. It's 1600€, so I might as well spend €1850 on an X1 and have the 3 years warranty and I'm sure the thing will last 10 years if I wanted to.

It also offers USB-C charging so battery life is less of an issue since you can just hook up one of your phone battery banks to get an extra hour or two. (I still have to test this so don't quote me on this).

K.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview