News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ChromeOS Flex just turned 2 and looks better than ever

Started by Redaktion, February 29, 2024, 15:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

ChromeOS Flex was announced in February 2022 as a user-friendly and lightweight OS that does not require a wagonload of cores and RAM to function well. After using it for several days, we can confirm that it scores in many respects, appearance being just one of them.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ChromeOS-Flex-just-turned-2-and-looks-better-than-ever.808397.0.html

Herb

ChromeOS Flex can run Linux apps. Go into settings advanced to set up. A virtual machine with Debian will be installed. Flatub can also set up to install Flatpacks.
Other than that it was a good article.

lmao

Quote from: Herb on March 01, 2024, 18:03:07ChromeOS Flex can run Linux apps.
yep and it removes the whole point of getting chromeos, as it's just a google data harvester between you and a proper linux

Cajun Moses

Considering all of frustration, time, and expense that so many have been willing to sacrifice over the years just to keep MS Windows running and stable for more than a full 24 hours, the few minutes of spare time required to install ChromeOS Flex for free seem well worth the risk. I've never heard of an experience that wasn't positive. Worst case, the installation fails and you have to decide whether to shell out $300 for a Chromebook Plus.

09-16

Quotethis OS can't be used to play Crysis even if the underlying hardware is fast enough

GeForce Now needs just a web browser and a fast internet connection to work, does it not?

A

QuoteVery few people use their computers exclusively for browsing the Web. Inevitably, at some point a question will arise - but does it run Crysis? No, this OS can't be used to play Crysis even if the underlying hardware is fast enough to do that.
@Sergey - ChromeOS supports Proton, and ProtonDB says it supports Crysis just fine

Sеrgey

QuoteChromeOS supports Proton

QuoteChromeOS Flex can run Linux apps. Go into settings advanced to set up. A virtual machine with Debian will be installed.

Are you guys sure? I do not remember seeing such an option anywhere.

Proper ChromeOS builds get compiled with specific hardware in mind so of course they feature support for APKs as well as Linux apps. But ChromeOS Flex is a lot more limited in that regard. Or at least that's the impression I got.

Perhaps I simply missed that option; if that is the case, I apologize. Either way, I no longer have the OS installed on either of my two laptops.

A

Quote from: Sеrgey on March 04, 2024, 08:01:59
QuoteChromeOS supports Proton

QuoteChromeOS Flex can run Linux apps. Go into settings advanced to set up. A virtual machine with Debian will be installed.

Are you guys sure? I do not remember seeing such an option anywhere.

Proper ChromeOS builds get compiled with specific hardware in mind so of course they feature support for APKs as well as Linux apps. But ChromeOS Flex is a lot more limited in that regard. Or at least that's the impression I got.

Perhaps I simply missed that option; if that is the case, I apologize. Either way, I no longer have the OS installed on either of my two laptops.

I have a ChromeOS laptop, not Flex. But just in case I looked on the internet and see articles like:

"PC Gaming on ChromeOS Flex with Steam (It Works!)"

So it seems to work just fine even if it is through debian linux container instead of the more similified method of the browser on a native chromebook

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview