News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Acer Aspire 5 A515-52G (i5-8265U, MX150, SSD, FHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, November 01, 2018, 11:54:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Acer's 15.6-inch allrounder is a lot more compact, slim and light than its competition. But there is no need to worry about having to trade these features with performance. The device also offers a matte IPS Gull HD display, a GeForce MX150 GPU and a quad-core processor of the Whiskey Lake generation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-5-A515-52G-i5-8265U-MX150-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.354441.0.html

Jesse

Where is the lightweight version?  This is on par in both performance and size and weight with my four year old MSI GS60.

They got their 15" Swift 5 down to 1.1 kg.  Does this mean the GPU and it's cooling pipe/fan is super heavy?

Is the GPU really even necessary?   You can't really game with it.  It feels more like a useless checkbox item.

Also, while I'm ranting, please just stop with the gimped numpad additions to 15" laptops.  If you can't put a double wide zero key or a double height enter key, then just skip the whole thing and center the keyboard properly in front of the screen.   Anyone who uses a numpad on a regular keyboard can NOT adapt easily to a gimped version on a laptop.

A laptop doesn't need a gimped numpad OR a glossy touchscreen - ever.

Gintaras Pobedinskas

900 euros I paid 4 years ago for a little more powerful acer aspire vn7-591g with i7 4710hq and gf 860m, so where's the progress? or just fiat currency is loosing it's purchase power?

william blake

256gb is just not enough for a multimedia machine. another non-complete product from oems. i understand 4gb memory or slow hdd in a cheap things but for this money i want an option ssd(or optane)+hdd. actually, 128ssd+500hdd is a much better deal than 256ssd for the same money.

william blake

Quote from: Jesse on November 01, 2018, 16:21:09

Is the GPU really even necessary?   You can't really game with it.  It feels more like a useless checkbox item.

mx150 is the best laptop gpu ever. cheap, low power and fast enough.

william blake

Quote from: Gintaras Pobedinskas on November 02, 2018, 00:13:41
900 euros I paid 4 years ago for a little more powerful acer aspire vn7-591g with i7 4710hq and gf 860m, so where's the progress?  or just fiat currency is loosing it's purchase power?
here is the strange thing about laptop market. base, the cheapest models, almost always are the best bung for the buck. then they starts growing in price rapidly for any extra hardware step added. this leads for the absurd situation when packed laptop from the cheap lineup is the worse deal than base laptop from higher tier lineup.

Aaron Peromsik

Looking at the maintenance picture above... where would the open 2.5" slot be?

mang4

So, i've buyed the acer aspire 5 A515-52G-70YX.
My conclusion? A pc like every other we have nowadays for this price, a damned s***. First, all these Genius beyond conception think it's a good idea to make it shorter, without optic reader... My a** yes.

Next, the ergonomy... What the point to include 2 usb port side by side, if you can't even put to keys! The ports are so close we can't... Next, the SD reader... For a laptop, it's a shame. the sd card exceeds more the half size. You must retire it everytime you want to go to another place with your pc, or it broke at first contact. After that, screen and audio... A real shame.

You can try every possibility, each of them give bad quality. At least, the battery and the ram... Ok. if you Don't do anything except word, it's ok, the battery make the job. You launch one program, i tried mkv converter, a logiciel who convert format files for videos, the battery decline in one hour, 100% comes near to 20%, in one hour.

And if you want surfing while the logiciel is running, the lag is here. Conclusion? My previous laptop, an aspire VG-571, makes a better job, with better economy. Of course he was a little bigger, but at least the screen, the audio and the ram were ok. The Inside charger for the battery failed after 2 years, but the laptop made his job 5 years.

This s*** here i bought, i recommand for people who don't care about stuff beyond the design, because it's only that. Ergonomy is s***, screen (not size) quality is s***, battery is s***, multiple tasks is s***.

I hesitated between this and the ASUS vivobook, i really regret my choice. I choose the cheaper, but in the end of the day, both of them have pieces made in taiwan. So, maybe ASUS is a better choice. I choose acer for my experience with  (4th acer), but i realise that nowadays, everything is for the design and the software.

But nobody really try the ergonomy (the true ergonomy), the hardware, the multiple tasks, it's just bullshit. I hate this era who everything is in the look, nothing in the durability and quality. My gosh.... I don't blame acer, i'm sure every other mark is close to that anyway, every other is s***.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview