News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Core i7-1255U debut: Dell Inspiron 14 7420 2-in-1 convertible review

Started by Redaktion, June 14, 2022, 18:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

16:10 aspect ratio displays were previously only available on higher-end laptops, but they have finally made their way to more affordable models like the Inspiron 14 7420 convertible. The bigger display pairs well with Intel's latest 12th gen CPU offerings for an attractive buy.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-1255U-debut-Dell-Inspiron-14-7420-2-in-1-convertible-review.626491.0.html

NikoB

Intel has an endless advantage over AMD in ports (despite the AMD declarations about support for USB40(eGPU?)) In Zen3+. You cannot buy a laptop with TB3.0/4.0(eGPU) with AMD, but with Intel it is easy. Look at the ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL 2021 - even with i5 1135G7/i7 1165G7 you can easily play in the most modern games in high quality and with high fps, by easily connecting the eGPU to even the future GTX4080. With any AMD laptop, without exception, even a class of "game laptops", as soon as a broken discrete card is morally obsolete, that's all. And from 1255U (If Dell did not shamefully squeeze the TB4.0 ports built into SoC, for which you still pay money to Intel!) and even with i7 1165g7 you will calmly play  newest games on the office laptop at home by connecting an external video card, with good quiet cooling and without any TDP restrictions. And this is not to mention the mass of other capabilities TB4.0 of the port, which you will not have on the AMD either. Already only this one puts a fat cross on the choice of Alder Lake Vs Zen3+. And even on Tiger Lake Vs Zen3/3+.

And only in the case of heavy multitasksing - for example, several virtual machines at the same time, AMD comes forward, but again, with his brake memory controller, it is not good in all tasks, which is proved, by, example, Photoshop tests.

Moreover, if there is already a question of heavy multi-task, you are unlikely to want to listen to the cooler how to listen to the howls during working hours. And this means that owning a laptop for such "heavy" tasks is simply pointless, except for rare tasks of work somewhere "on the knee" in the "field". And at home, purely for dragging around the rooms (if there is no separate room with a workplace and a have stationary powerful (and most importantly - silent, if a person is adequate) a working computer) is not at all important, and only silence in work, i.e. high-quality cooling system. And then immediately it becomes clear what is more important.

From my point of view of the game on a laptops, even on "game laptop" this is a fool aim, rather for some strange "poor" people. Who do not have their own room, but who are ready to pay for an expensive "game laptop" with GTX3080 (and buy less and it makes nosense).

For full aims operation, the (universal) laptop is still not enough (without eGPU), but if you still have to work on it, then at least 15.6"+ with a full-sized keyboard  (right, standard digital block) (which is not exist in all chinese laptops, with the exception of - Lenovo). And again, a quiet cooling system is more important here for all people, and not the maximum processor speed. What is the point of maximum speed if you are forced to listen to the worship of the coolers at 32-34dB+ under heavy task?

On the other hand, if you take autonomy, it is clearly visible that Intel completely failed this task in Alder Lake, despite the supposedly "energy-efficient" cores. And where is their work and benefit from the battery? It is not. Their processors all also consume more AMD processors with 7nm, despite all bravura declarations and marketing tricks. There are no miracles - 10nm is NOT equal to 7nm TSMC, the latter technology is clearly better!

Alas, the absence of the port of TB3.0/4.0 on laptops with the AMD processor crosses out the universality of the purchase completely.
I bought in 2018 Dell G5 with GTX1050, it model can also work through the eGPU bridge even with future GTX4090TI (and the desktop version, which is obviously 30-40% faster than the same mobile!). And the latest laptops with 35-45W AMD processors cannot do this. When I bought it, the maximum in the series was GTX1060. But now, if I want, I can easily connect the desktop version of the GTX3080TI to the laptop from 2018 year, and with quiet homemade (liquid) cooling under the my room table. And the owners of laptops with newest 5800h/5900HS 2021 and even future owners of 6600H/6800h/6900HS will not be able to upgrade GPU. Manufacturers still do not add a TB4.0(Intel trademark) port (aka standart port level of "USB40") in a model with AMD. Thus, buyers of laptops with AMD immediately find themselves in an unequal(worst) position  with buyers of laptops with Intel. And if earlier, the AMD at least compensated for this failure (flaw) with much greater performance in multitasking mode, now it has practically no advantages left, although autonomy from battery is slightly higher.

The most interesting thing is that in the market in 2021 the situation 2020 and 2019 was repeated - when to find a laptop on fresh nuclei in class 15.6 "+ was almost unrealistic in stores (especially with a full -fledged keyboard, i.e. from the top three - HP/Dell/Lenovo, Other keyboard manufacturers are always inferior-spoiled (mutilated due to designers) digital key block).

Given the fact that Intel still has more than 75% of the mobile processor market, the chances of finding a decent laptop with AMD in class 15.6"+ are practically reduced to zero on fresh cores in 2022. In 2021, in fact, only one office model with U processor selled (and a normal full keyboard) - HP Probook G8 455. There were practically no others! Or there was something wrong with the memory expansion to 32-64GB in two-channel mode!

AMD is simply not capable of ensuring the production of a sufficient number of processors for TSMC all these 3 years. Why did someone decide that in 2022 it would be different?

I personally observed the picture in retail networks when the one model (the only one with Zen3) in class 15.6"+ accounted for up to 10 models with i5/i7 Tiger Lake. 1:10! This is simply incomprehensible to the mind, as the AMD loses the market due to the inability to produce more processors on TSMC. Here she is her Achilles heel - Fabless company in all her "color"...

Every year the same thing from AMD - the market is completely absent in the market by the most anticipated models from the mass buyer. Those. Relatively cheap office models with fresh cores in class 15.6+. Be sure to with the USB40 port (aka Intel TB4.0). But again, no one is going to release them! Even Lenovo, in 2022, began to make even more strange models, instead of what people expect to solve typical workers and homework!

Intel is leisurely selling the bulk of laptops and spawn flares up all the profit from the market. Like Apple in smartphones ...

ps: None of the company offers sufficient autonomy of minimum 12 hours under heavy surfing! At the same time, the performance of laptops from the battery falls significantly! What's the point of this? I use all laptops at home exclusively from the power supply. Even reclining on the couch. And then again the key question arises - to what the hell most of the manufacturers shoves universal power not by a reliable round old connector, but by the usb-c, but straight, protruding away from the laptop perpendicular (and old straight round connectors)! Moreover, the power is removed not by the laptop (like the second alternative port for convenient use of reclining on the couch), and on the left of the laptops. And there place is a legs for right-handed! Engineers and marketers, you understand that when making such a crazy solution you make an uniform use of a laptop from a power supply on the couch, because right-off (and most of them in the world) getting up and laying on the sofa can elementarily break the usb-c  sticking perpendicular to the case, like the same straight round old connectors - hello to the madmen in Dell! I had to forced to buy an angular round adapter from Aliexpress due to inadequate solutions from Dell with a direct power round plug on Dell G5! And this is still inconvenient for me on sofa!)

The second significant remark. Why have been reducing audio ports to one for many years? What is this general insanity and madness? There are right-handed people and there are lefties. One person is convenient for headphones on the left, and the other on the right! All audio chips have long been multi-channel out. Hell! What is the problem for manufacturers to derive a backup 4-pin audio port (and they also often break!) on the other side of the laptop? Places on the side in bulk! As well as the extra USB ports! And the power connector must also be reserved from behind or the second port on the other side of the laptop! To make it convenient both right-handed and left-handed when using a laptop on the table and on the couch reclining!

NikoB

Regarding this model, you can emphasize very good silence in the average load (only 27dB - critical level for work - 30-32dB), I would set 95% for the cooling system in summary.

Well, actually the most obvious Dell misses in the model for $1050 are a slow memory, and not DDR5 4800 at least.

Obsolete(sick!) port HDMI 1.4b and this is in the model of 2022! You can just go crazy! Dell what your marketers and engineers smoke (they are engineers - they lost the right to vote, right?). The port must be HDMI 2.1 with 48gbit/s! As minimum 2.0b.

The weight of the laptop is too heavy for 14 " class and such an insignificant battery (as minimum 90Wh for this weight!). About the absence of a key TB4.0 ports (at least two ports), the author wrote himself into the main minus.

Well, again, the power plug sticking aside with the extremely dangerous use of such a laptop on the sofa from the power supply, so as not to steam with the brakes from the battery and its rapid wear. Hello again Dell ...

Daniliocs

Quote from: NikoB on June 15, 2022, 13:49:23Intel has an endless advantage over AMD in ports (despite the AMD declarations about support for USB40(eGPU?)) In Zen3+. You cannot buy a laptop with TB3.0/4.0(eGPU) with AMD, but with Intel it is easy. Look at the ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL 2021 - even with i5 1135G7/i7 1165G7 you can easily play in the most modern games in high quality and with high fps, by easily connecting the eGPU to even the future GTX4080. With any AMD laptop, without exception, even a class of "game laptops", as soon as a broken discrete card is morally obsolete, that's all. And from 1255U (If Dell did not shamefully squeeze the TB4.0 ports built into SoC, for which you still pay money to Intel!) and even with i7 1165g7 you will calmly play  newest games on the office laptop at home by connecting an external video card, with good quiet cooling and without any TDP restrictions. And this is not to mention the mass of other capabilities TB4.0 of the port, which you will not have on the AMD either. Already only this one puts a fat cross on the choice of Alder Lake Vs Zen3+. And even on Tiger Lake Vs Zen3/3+.

And only in the case of heavy multitasksing - for example, several virtual machines at the same time, AMD comes forward, but again, with his brake memory controller, it is not good in all tasks, which is proved, by, example, Photoshop tests.

Moreover, if there is already a question of heavy multi-task, you are unlikely to want to listen to the cooler how to listen to the howls during working hours. And this means that owning a laptop for such "heavy" tasks is simply pointless, except for rare tasks of work somewhere "on the knee" in the "field". And at home, purely for dragging around the rooms (if there is no separate room with a workplace and a have stationary powerful (and most importantly - silent, if a person is adequate) a working computer) is not at all important, and only silence in work, i.e. high-quality cooling system. And then immediately it becomes clear what is more important.

From my point of view of the game on a laptops, even on "game laptop" this is a fool aim, rather for some strange "poor" people. Who do not have their own room, but who are ready to pay for an expensive "game laptop" with GTX3080 (and buy less and it makes nosense).

For full aims operation, the (universal) laptop is still not enough (without eGPU), but if you still have to work on it, then at least 15.6"+ with a full-sized keyboard  (right, standard digital block) (which is not exist in all chinese laptops, with the exception of - Lenovo). And again, a quiet cooling system is more important here for all people, and not the maximum processor speed. What is the point of maximum speed if you are forced to listen to the worship of the coolers at 32-34dB+ under heavy task?

On the other hand, if you take autonomy, it is clearly visible that Intel completely failed this task in Alder Lake, despite the supposedly "energy-efficient" cores. And where is their work and benefit from the battery? It is not. Their processors all also consume more AMD processors with 7nm, despite all bravura declarations and marketing tricks. There are no miracles - 10nm is NOT equal to 7nm TSMC, the latter technology is clearly better!

Alas, the absence of the port of TB3.0/4.0 on laptops with the AMD processor crosses out the universality of the purchase completely.
I bought in 2018 Dell G5 with GTX1050, it model can also work through the eGPU bridge even with future GTX4090TI (and the desktop version, which is obviously 30-40% faster than the same mobile!). And the latest laptops with 35-45W AMD processors cannot do this. When I bought it, the maximum in the series was GTX1060. But now, if I want, I can easily connect the desktop version of the GTX3080TI to the laptop from 2018 year, and with quiet homemade (liquid) cooling under the my room table. And the owners of laptops with newest 5800h/5900HS 2021 and even future owners of 6600H/6800h/6900HS will not be able to upgrade GPU. Manufacturers still do not add a TB4.0(Intel trademark) port (aka standart port level of "USB40") in a model with AMD. Thus, buyers of laptops with AMD immediately find themselves in an unequal(worst) position  with buyers of laptops with Intel. And if earlier, the AMD at least compensated for this failure (flaw) with much greater performance in multitasking mode, now it has practically no advantages left, although autonomy from battery is slightly higher.

The most interesting thing is that in the market in 2021 the situation 2020 and 2019 was repeated - when to find a laptop on fresh nuclei in class 15.6 "+ was almost unrealistic in stores (especially with a full -fledged keyboard, i.e. from the top three - HP/Dell/Lenovo, Other keyboard manufacturers are always inferior-spoiled (mutilated due to designers) digital key block).

Given the fact that Intel still has more than 75% of the mobile processor market, the chances of finding a decent laptop with AMD in class 15.6"+ are practically reduced to zero on fresh cores in 2022. In 2021, in fact, only one office model with U processor selled (and a normal full keyboard) - HP Probook G8 455. There were practically no others! Or there was something wrong with the memory expansion to 32-64GB in two-channel mode!

AMD is simply not capable of ensuring the production of a sufficient number of processors for TSMC all these 3 years. Why did someone decide that in 2022 it would be different?

I personally observed the picture in retail networks when the one model (the only one with Zen3) in class 15.6"+ accounted for up to 10 models with i5/i7 Tiger Lake. 1:10! This is simply incomprehensible to the mind, as the AMD loses the market due to the inability to produce more processors on TSMC. Here she is her Achilles heel - Fabless company in all her "color"...

Every year the same thing from AMD - the market is completely absent in the market by the most anticipated models from the mass buyer. Those. Relatively cheap office models with fresh cores in class 15.6+. Be sure to with the USB40 port (aka Intel TB4.0). But again, no one is going to release them! Even Lenovo, in 2022, began to make even more strange models, instead of what people expect to solve typical workers and homework!

Intel is leisurely selling the bulk of laptops and spawn flares up all the profit from the market. Like Apple in smartphones ...

ps: None of the company offers sufficient autonomy of minimum 12 hours under heavy surfing! At the same time, the performance of laptops from the battery falls significantly! What's the point of this? I use all laptops at home exclusively from the power supply. Even reclining on the couch. And then again the key question arises - to what the hell most of the manufacturers shoves universal power not by a reliable round old connector, but by the usb-c, but straight, protruding away from the laptop perpendicular (and old straight round connectors)! Moreover, the power is removed not by the laptop (like the second alternative port for convenient use of reclining on the couch), and on the left of the laptops. And there place is a legs for right-handed! Engineers and marketers, you understand that when making such a crazy solution you make an uniform use of a laptop from a power supply on the couch, because right-off (and most of them in the world) getting up and laying on the sofa can elementarily break the usb-c  sticking perpendicular to the case, like the same straight round old connectors - hello to the madmen in Dell! I had to forced to buy an angular round adapter from Aliexpress due to inadequate solutions from Dell with a direct power round plug on Dell G5! And this is still inconvenient for me on sofa!)

The second significant remark. Why have been reducing audio ports to one for many years? What is this general insanity and madness? There are right-handed people and there are lefties. One person is convenient for headphones on the left, and the other on the right! All audio chips have long been multi-channel out. Hell! What is the problem for manufacturers to derive a backup 4-pin audio port (and they also often break!) on the other side of the laptop? Places on the side in bulk! As well as the extra USB ports! And the power connector must also be reserved from behind or the second port on the other side of the laptop! To make it convenient both right-handed and left-handed when using a laptop on the table and on the couch reclining!

I don't know if you're just a fanboy or a complete ignorant. This notebook does not have TB, only DP via USB-C and this is the standard on entry-level notebooks (either from Dell or any other brand). It doesn't make any sense to use USB-C for e-GPUs, the mobile processors (U and P) would only serve to push at most an RTX 3050Ti (which comes with a lot of intermediate laptops, costing much less than the a GPU + the external accessory it supports). A tiny portion will use this, and it's cheaper to buy a gaming laptop or build a desktop. And about USB4 support, AMD is already releasing a bios that enables this on Zen3+ (Ryzen 5 6600U and 7 6800U), pcworld tested it on the new Zenbook S13 Oled (Ryzen 7 6800u) and it works very well, including with and -GPUs But it is a minority of people who will use it, even DP is still not widespread, no pendrive can use the speed of USB4 yet and few accessories do. Who do you know that uses TB3/4 on Intel or even Macbook? I'm sure there are few people.

NikoB

Quote from: Daniliocs on June 15, 2022, 15:45:12
Quote from: NikoB on June 15, 2022, 13:49:23Intel has an endless advantage over AMD in ports (despite the AMD declarations about support for USB40(eGPU?)) In Zen3+. You cannot buy a laptop with TB3.0/4.0(eGPU) with AMD, but with Intel it is easy. Look at the ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL 2021 - even with i5 1135G7/i7 1165G7 you can easily play in the most modern games in high quality and with high fps, by easily connecting the eGPU to even the future GTX4080. With any AMD laptop, without exception, even a class of "game laptops", as soon as a broken discrete card is morally obsolete, that's all. And from 1255U (If Dell did not shamefully squeeze the TB4.0 ports built into SoC, for which you still pay money to Intel!) and even with i7 1165g7 you will calmly play  newest games on the office laptop at home by connecting an external video card, with good quiet cooling and without any TDP restrictions. And this is not to mention the mass of other capabilities TB4.0 of the port, which you will not have on the AMD either. Already only this one puts a fat cross on the choice of Alder Lake Vs Zen3+. And even on Tiger Lake Vs Zen3/3+.

I don't know if you're just a fanboy or a complete ignorant. This notebook does not have TB, only DP via USB-C and this is the standard on entry-level notebooks (either from Dell or any other brand). It doesn't make any sense to use USB-C for e-GPUs, the mobile processors (U and P) would only serve to push at most an RTX 3050Ti (which comes with a lot of intermediate laptops, costing much less than the a GPU + the external accessory it supports). A tiny portion will use this, and it's cheaper to buy a gaming laptop or build a desktop. And about USB4 support, AMD is already releasing a bios that enables this on Zen3+ (Ryzen 5 6600U and 7 6800U), pcworld tested it on the new Zenbook S13 Oled (Ryzen 7 6800u) and it works very well, including with and -GPUs But it is a minority of people who will use it, even DP is still not widespread, no pendrive can use the speed of USB4 yet and few accessories do. Who do you know that uses TB3/4 on Intel or even Macbook? I'm sure there are few people.
I am just an expert in laptops. Even on this site there was a review with tests for games through eGPU on i5 1135G7/i7 and everything was fine with GTX3060+. It will ok even with 3070/3080. And i7 and even more so. Moreover, because you are an ignoramus, you are not aware that TB4.0 ports are in all TigerLake processors starting with i3. Thus, all manufacturers who do not output this port from SoC (TB4.0 ports in SoC TigerLake series from 2 to 4 in i7 - 2x2) out are simply throwing you as buyer, because for the logic TB4.0 you still paid Intel as part of the processor, and this is a very considerable amount.

As for the support of USB40 (+EGPU) in the AMD - not a single manufacturer of "gaming laptops" put this port in his labels 2022, but on Intel they have. Take the same Legion 5 Pro 2022 C Intel and AMD. What clearly says that hemorrhoids using USB40 on AMD are monstrous, otherwise Lenovo would make the same set of ports in 2022 models for Intel and AMD. But in reality, buyers of versions with Intel are always in a heated way according to the capabilities of connecting the external periphery and EGPU.

Well, about the availability of solutions with the latest nuclei from AMD, I have already written many times - Epic Fail from AMD. For the entire 2021, only one model was available on the HP Probook G8 455 market (with a full -fledged keyboard and 15.6 screen). As the cheapest option. There was also G8 855, but it is with one heating tube and the cooling system there is more noisy, although the screens are better there.

So 2022 is definitely Intel, not AMD. AMD simply has nothing to cover, and the prices for laptops with them are too, unreasonably high in retail, taking into account their shortcomings.

If the AMD released Zen4 at the end of 2021, then it would be an AMD year, but by the time she releases Zen4, Intel will again be on the head ahead. Age of AMD finished. Leadership is lost.

However, AMD simply does not have factories, and on TSMC they are a second stage company. They simply have nowhere to do even what they can. So Intel will continue to keep almost the entire market and all the profit on it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview