News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Update Lenovo Thinkpad T440s 20AQ0069GE Notebook

Started by Redaktion, February 06, 2014, 09:02:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A must-have. The T440s is currently one of the most sought-after products on the mobile business market. But with so many versions available, it is not exactly easy for a buyer to figure out which model is best suited to his or her individual needs. To follow-up on our review of the basic version, here we have written an update reviewing the top model, equipped with an Intel i7 CPU, FHD IPS display and a fat 9-cell battery.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440s-20AQ0069GE-Notebook.110564.0.html

Thera

TSGarp99

Be vary careful when ordering the T440s or T440p - there are 2 suppliers for the FHD ips display.  The LG one is inferior and requires just the right angle for optimal viewing.  The other is AUO and the various forums report this one as being superior. 

I ordered the T440p with the FHD and got the LG screen (that's how I know first hand about getting the "right angle").  I sent it back when Lenovo didn't seem to care that the display was unacceptable.  I own a T42, T60 and X220 all with ips and they are excellent. 

I will bide my time until either Lenovo can produce this premium laptop with reliable suppliers or I can find another 14in FHD/ips quality laptop maker.

letsreboot

good point (if anyone could confirm that...)

The T440p review (http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-20AN-006VGE-Notebook.107550.0.html) mentions a FHD IPS display in T440p.
The Lenovo configurator description reads T440p 14.0FHD WWAN / T440s 14.0 FHD WWAN and the price differential with respect to the 14.0HD+ WWAN option is around 98 euros (on the Dutch site) for both T440s and T440p which may imply it's the same screen.

ozaz

Can you please clarify the system weight.
Is 1.7 kg the weight for 2x24whr configuration or is it weight for 24whr+72whr configuraion?

Thanks

PeterAthens

Live in Greece and tried buy this T440s with the Nvidia's GT 730M configuration...
Was told that Lenovo does not do this configuration anymore...
So,no point saying Lenovo on top...
Yes,a 'must have' machine...if they sell it.
If they don't it is all theory.....

Vittorio

Thank you for the excellent review. I find yours are simply the best. This time, however... You give 98% to the battery thanks to the impressive runtimes obtained with the 72 Wh cylindrical one. But you also admit that this very battery is bulky and stops being attractive once attached to the notebook. It is very unfair. You simply cannot compare the T440s with this nonsense 72Wh to any other regular ultrabook. The 72Wh battery is simply not an option for any professional using the notebook on the move. The truth is that T-series Thinkpads have undersized batteries, all falling under 50 Wh, compared to most competitors offering 50 to 70 Wh for comparable systems. I wonder whether you avoided to test the full-fledged T440s (Core I7, FHD IPS screen etc.) with its original 45 Wh power supply just because you knew it would score well under the 'very good' level due to poor battery runtimes. In any case, please let us know the true runtimes (with 45Wh).

Greg

You need to design a single pie chart that conveys all this information. When I see a lot of effort but none taken to consolidate information effectively, it only tells me you have limited imagination and no desire toward's higher intelligence.

Roy

Until I read TSGarp99's comment about the T440s display, I thought I was going mad! For 2 weeks, I was the owner of one of these machine, configured with a FHD display. I could not understand why the display was so much poorer than all the reviews said. There was only one vertical viewing angle which was usable - 90degrees. Moving up or down caused a dark band to move up and down the screen.

However, the main reason I sent the machine back to Lenovo (and will not get another), is because the Touchpad is unusable. There have been numerous driver updates aimed at making touch gestures more stable, but none can address the real issues with the Touchpad which are: its 'buttons' are hard to press; it is not possible to use 'touch' gestures in conjunction with the Trackpad.

I have read many forums and it appears that the same Touchpad (better described as a ClunkPad) is fitted on many (most?) new Lenovo laptops and ALL suffer from the same problems.

Oki

I bought my 440s based in no small part to this great review. It's a nice system when it works, but I got a dud and am still fighting with Lenovo 5 months later to get a return or replacement. Complete customer service nightmare. They treat their customers like dirt. It's humiliating.

Martijn

My first laptop EVER in May 2014 was: the t440s! Yes, it was expensive (i7 4600, 12 GB ram, 256 GB SDD, 2x 72 Wh battery), but I couldn't have made a better decision! I agree with the review, it is simply a very good business laptop. What is remarkable (and not really pointed to in the review): the size of the adapter, it is SMALL! :)

Farbod

Great Lap Top but there's one issue and the internet is full of it : the display that reviewed here is LG display but the one that you will buy will be probably 100 % chance it will be an AUO display which in compare to LG has low contrast and brightness... be careful I did warn you.

Burton Gildersleeve

Hello, does the switch to IPS decrease eye strain as well for everyday tasks? Ive noticed with the TN panel that Iv struggled at times.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview