News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review HP ZBook 15 Workstation

Started by Redaktion, January 08, 2014, 03:41:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Pure business. The ZBook series may be new, but its first models are coming out with a bang. Following on the footsteps of the ZBook 17, the ZBook 15 is everything the EliteBook series is and more. We take a closer look at the $2999 model in this full review.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-ZBook-15-Workstation.108229.0.html

gc

QuotePerformance
HP offers just three configurable Haswell CPU options: the 2.4 GHz i7-4700MQ, 2.7 GHz i7-4800MQ and 2.8 GHz i7-4900MQ. All models are high-end processors and are some of the fastest available of this generation. Beyond the slight clock rate differences, the highest model adds 2 MB of L3 cache for a total of 8 MB. The models are otherwise identical in specs, including their integrated HD 4600 GPU. ...

More differences between 4800MQ and 4700MQ can be found at
http://ark.intel.com/compare/75131,75128,75117
The comparison table shows that 4700MQ does not implement some server/enterprise technologies:
- Intel vPro (security and remote monitoring),
- Intel VT-d (virtualized directed I/O), and
- Intel TSX-NI (transactional memory, hardware lock elision)
- Intel Trusted Execution technology

gc

Is there a test or measurement that will help compare how much of a mesh/grid is visible among the display pixels?  ("screen-door effect") (Or how well the pixels fully fill the space between them?) 

Very close-up photos (not screen-captures) of black text on white background might also help compare screens. 

(I've seen a few complaints about this in forums lately, often about matte display panels.  In my local store, I noticed the HP monitors currently have less of this problem than some others, so I wonder if HP also chooses better displays in its professional  laptops.  Unfortunately, the store stocks mostly consumer (night) laptops with glossy displays, not professional (daylit) laptops with matte displays.)

(I wonder if some manufacturers are now making the pixels more obviously distinct in their lower priced lower-resolution low-density displays in an effort to encourage customers to buy the higher-priced high-resolution high-density displays.  It may backfire, with consumers saying they can't find a screen as good as their current one, so they don't upgrade their laptop this year.)

Allen.Ngo

Hello,

You are correct about the additional differences between the 4700MQ and 4800MQ. Our own CPU pages list these differences as well, which I overlooked. The changes will be made, thanks!

As for the screen door effect, we have no explicit tests to compare the phenomenon between devices. However, we do note it if it is especially pronounced as it was in some of our other review models.

PM

36 dB is loud. I was almost prepared to excuse the number pad, which ruins the ergonomics of all the keyboard - maybe I can adapt - but noise is an issue. Too bad because the machine is excellent and I was almost set to buy it. I think I have to keep waiting.

vladkro

Could anybody provides correct display model/version/id? Mentioned AU Optronics B156HW01 V1 ID: AUO11ED is quite old and well-known TN panel. But it's evidence zbook 15 has IPS panel - viewing angles proves this.

Vasiliy

Quote from: PM on January 09, 2014, 10:31:29
36 dB is loud. I was almost prepared to excuse the number pad, which ruins the ergonomics of all the keyboard - maybe I can adapt - but noise is an issue. Too bad because the machine is excellent and I was almost set to buy it. I think I have to keep waiting.

HP recently sent an emailto registered laptop users, notifing that the "Fan always on"  option in BIOS can be turned off to reduce noise. Maybe with this option off noise will be an convinient level

PM

Quote from: Vasiliy on January 09, 2014, 14:14:40
HP recently sent an emailto registered laptop users, notifing that the "Fan always on"  option in BIOS can be turned off to reduce noise. Maybe with this option off noise will be an convinient level

Thank you Vasiliy. I'd like to hear what's the noise level in a typical work session from someone who turned off the fan. I hope the laptop doesn't turn so hot that the fan must still keep spinning all the time.

ali adli

It is not fair to compare the 17 inch 8770w with 15 inch zbook15 and claim that "the EliteBook 8570w has a much shorter battery life in comparison to the ZBook 15". For a fair comparison one must take 8570w, which shows much better battery life with respect to the zbook 15 with the 4th generation hasweel cpu installed in it.(http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-EliteBook-8570w-Notebook.83982.0.html) and this comparison also shows that there is not improvement of baterry life as it is claimed by the intel over ivy bridge.

ThomasGrave

How come the zBook 15 doesn't support RAID-Arrays? According to Intels product description, the Chipset (QM87) explicitly supports RAID-Features...

Andres Vanrolleghem

The only thing I can say about the Hp Zbook 15inch is that it is not worth the price. I got this laptop for my schoolwork and since I have it, I got 3 new screens and a full crash which leaded into no bootable image found. I can only say to everybody who is thinking to buy this laptop don't do it, it is a piece of crap!!!!!

snn47

Thank you for the test, could you please verify if the CPU internal Graphics can be used too?
If yes doesn't it increase the useable time on battery?

Which Voltage and power rating has the powersupply?
Is it a HP-Smart-Powersupply?

In some tests you provide this informations, sometimes not.

Gerben Rosseel

As i'm now a owner of the HP Zbook 15 for over 8 months i have to say i'm not happy at all! There are a number of issues the Zbook is coping with.

One of them is the screen. After only 2 months my screen was burning in, they replaced it immedialtelly but it's not soemthing u want of a €1700 laptop. After 6 months i got dead pixels on my right side of my screen. Is replaced immediatelly as well.

Another problem are the drivers. Most drivers aren't supported yet or fully. Also my network adapter broke after 7 months of usage. Not a fun thing!

And to make it complete i get blue screens once or twice every month.

I'm an IT student so i was expecting a lot of this laptop but it let me down big time! I'm very very dissapointed in HP and i'm never going to buy an HP laptop again. Very poor product!

Chris Jones

I purchased this unit and I have never looked back.  It been amazing and faultless.  Performance in speed and display has been awesome.  I RECOMMEND this unit 101% and I'm so pleased I traded in my Dell for this powerhouse.
(Java / .net developer and amateur photographer)

Ahmed

Guys, how come the official site said the battery up to 14:25 hrs, I expect about 10 hrs ofcourse not the all 14... and here in this review you say it is only 5 hrs??

Also another review on laptopmag.com say it is 7:48 hrs
Can anyone confirm?
I am talking about this model:
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start;sid=hWwoGKI7NCMoGPYyQSEJkXo0V2IQaWdahso=?ProductUUID=haoQ7EN5BCAAAAFBoHEw0jVd&CatalogCategoryID=jn4Q7hacQJQAAAFA_4ZWhMuN&JumpTo=OfferList#ProductLinkCrossSelling

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview