News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion Slim 5 16APH8 laptop review: Underappreciated design with an underperforming GPU

Started by Redaktion, August 11, 2023, 20:09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulF uk

I've had this exact model for over a month now and saw 104w TDP on the GPU while gaming on day 2 of ownership, as that was in excess of Lenovo's spec and I'm very happy with the performance overall I haven't bothered with any more benchmarking. It did initially appear to be running at a lower wattage but that cleared up after the usual day 1 updates and reboots.

Worth a second look and review update as, having researched the hell out of the market, this was a clear winner for me at the price point.

Anyone considering this model shouldn't be put off by the review.

yul

ended up finding one of these for 1000 CAD on sale, 7640HS + 4050 with the FHD screen option. Does anyone know how easy it is to replace the FHD screen for the more colour accurate QHD one? I can see there are the QHD panels on ebay for around 170 CAD.

Neenyah

Quote from: yul on August 22, 2023, 06:05:58Does anyone know how easy it is to replace the FHD screen for the more colour accurate QHD one?

Pages 45 to 52 in the Hardware Maintenance Manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/legion_slim_5i_5_16_8_hmm.pdf

Jose

I feel like this review is not accurate enough because the only 60W GPU that is a bug that is fixed right now:

-> Cooler than spected: Normal, you are not using all the power of the GPU.
-> Good power consumption: Normal, you are not using all the power of the GPU.
-> Bechmakrs and Gamming: Low due to this issue.

Please, is it not possible to update the review to see the reality with this laptop?

Thank you.

Maxhart

Could Notebookcheck update this review ?
Its a really good product if its nots crippled...

As may people say they have no problem we must know !

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

fluffydice

Wow, this review was based on it not even drawing in a decent power level, wtaf?  I nearly listened to this review and then it scores 98% for gaming performance with an overall 88%!

Time to ignore this entire review it seems!

NikoB

The author strangely did not pay attention to the fact that the screen of the first test sample was defective - Lenovo claims 1200:1, he intended less than 900:1. Such a product falls under warranty immediately. Why didn't he retest the second copy in full? Author's laziness? Well, or the author's data is incorrect. But then what's the point of believing his reviews?

NikoB

Quote from: yul on August 22, 2023, 06:05:58ended up finding one of these for 1000 CAD on sale, 7640HS + 4050 with the FHD screen option. Does anyone know how easy it is to replace the FHD screen for the more colour accurate QHD one? I can see there are the QHD panels on ebay for around 170 CAD.
If you change it anyway, try replacing it with 4k - because all 2.5k screens are outright junk - a cloudy picture at the pixel level in 4k and fhd videos is always.

Only 4k screens are universal and truly comfortable for the eyes.

NikoB

In this model, in addition to the issue of a screen that does not comply with Lenovo's declarations (but this is a warranty case and the product simply needs to be changed by sorting through copies), Lenovo cheat buyers with 2 USB40 ports, for which buyers still paid as part of the 7840HS (www.amd.com/en/product/13041). But Lenovo deliberately did not take them outside in usb-c ports. Link USB40 ports from 7840HS to on usb-c cost pennies at the motherboard level. This is pure and mean marketing compared to Slim 7, where only 1 port out of 2 is still shamefully exposed.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview