News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Notebook

Started by Redaktion, July 21, 2013, 08:57:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The experiment continues. Lenovo's IdeaPad Y500 made quite a splash when it was introduced some time ago: the 15-inch multi-purpose system offered a second Nvidia GPU as an option. The new IdeaPad Y510p has updated hardware and now features a GeForce GT 750M SLI instead of the GeForce GT 650M SLI . Can the dual-DirectX 11 notebook threaten the established high-end competition?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-Notebook.97470.0.html

Mustafa Said

Excellent; 750 SLI with a LG Full Hd display will be an overwhelming gaming notebook 8).

norderk

Maybe with Throttle Stop's BD PROCHOT option could solve the non-turbo in gpu stress test?

IvanTheChemist

I would have been interested in The Witcher 2 benchmark. Lucky for me, I consider issues like touchpad, heat and noise as not much of a factor, since I intend to use this laptop as a desktop replacement. Touchpad->mouse, Heat->thermaltake stand. Also, as a geeky part of the gaming community, driver updates for the SLi is also not an issue for me. Even then, one of the things that I regret is the lack of option to use the built in graphics. Still, since I can find this laptop for around 1000 euros, it will be awesome to have.

BalkanOkami

Is there any plan to update this article to reflect the fact that some (most?) of the Y510p models were shipped with a i7-4702MQ processor, not the i7-4700MQ?

Does that difference affect the assessment of the laptop's TurboBoost performance at all?

tix

Actually a SLI 750 can beat a 780M, the SLI is clearly CPU limited in here.. so that's why it doesn't go over the 780M performance and don't forget that you can OC the 750M
But i was wondering which MXM they use for the 750M, so you can probably replace the GPU by another one more powerful

Donut

In the metro last light benchmark i dont see ssaa listed so i believe you have it off. I have this laptop and with ssaa off and everything else up i acheive anywhere from 40-80 fps...

RCJ

Not much was mentioned on the Intel N-2230 Wireless Card, which has been a nightmare in this machine.  There are many owners experiencing difficulties with this card, just do a google search.  It has ruined an otherwise stellar notebook.

Dixi

IdeaPad

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p +Free_Shipping‎
GOTO:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00CRXZSYQ/08-2013-20
Lenovo IdeaPad 2,553 seller reviews Save up to $300 on IdeaPad Y500 Laptops w/ Intel® Core™.

IvanTheChemist

So far I have encountered a few issues and I would like to urge you to check for them in a review update:
Is there an NGFF slot without the SSD version?
Can you run multiple monitors with the SLi?

About these I will go to check in the shop I got my laptop from (pcstore.bg). If I don't have an NGFF slot (I don't have an SSD) or I can't run multiple monitors effortlessly, then I will return the laptop and get a refund. This is my second one - the first had a horrible problem with the sound in the form of static noise when any audio was played; the second one has barely responsive keys (e and the left arrow). I will update with the results from the inspection today.

Dbassnut

Would you get a Y510P SLI GT705M or a Y500 SLI GT750M? Both look nice but the Y500 processor can turbo boost whereas the Y510P cannot.

Amandeep Singh

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Gaming Laptop Review

Lenovo is renowned for making long lasting laptops that are consistent with their performance for being the one of the top technology companies out currently. The Y510p is angled towards audiences who are looking for a powerful yet cost efficient machine for gaming and other technically demanding software uses such as high definition video editing and more. The reason Lenovo stands out as a company is that they offer the best reliability in their machines and have some of the most innovative designs and technology. I can guarantee you won't go wrong with a Lenovo machine, be it the high powered IdeaPad Series for high powered performance or the business savvy ThinkPad Series which won multiple awards for being the best business laptops with their award winning ergonomic keyboards and  military-spec tested hardware.

The Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Gaming Laptop will be reviewed on the following criteria: Design, Performance, Battery Life, Graphics Processor, Audio, Display and Heat.

Design: This is a gorgeous laptop. The sleek exterior is reminiscent of a supercar's hood. The front of this laptop features a brushed aluminum lid with a light horizontal striping pattern. The sides of the front subtly slant to finish the sleek look. Also upon raising the lid the red tinted keys provide a red glow that beautifully contrasts the dark design of the main frame. Although this is a hefty laptop, weighing 5.9 pounds, it feels like a feather compared to other 15.6 inch high performance laptops such as Alienware and M-Tech.

Performance: The Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p delivers excellent performance for everyday performance and still boasts enough power to compete with expensive gaming computers. This laptop features an Intel Core i7-4702MQ quad-core processor and a 1 Terabyte 5400-rpm Hard Disk Drive with a 24 Gigabyte Solid State Drive. It also has 16 Gigabytes of RAM and comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GT750M graphics card. The i7 processor mean that this computer will be lighting fast and the user will be able to multi-task with ease. The GeForce GT750M graphics card allows for high graphics gaming and allows the user to do graphically demanding tasks such as video editing and game designing. Since this laptop comes with 1 Terabytes of memory + 24 Gigabyte Solid State Drive, you will never run out of room for your games, music, movies and other multi-media. With 16 Gigabytes of RAM, this computer will be able to do everything other computers do but a lot faster. The increased RAM shortens loading times in games, makes the computer boot up faster, makes loading applications faster, and increases multi-tasking capabilities.

Battery Life: Although most gaming laptops do not have a long battery expectancy, this Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p boasts up to three hours during an intensive gaming session and up to 5 hours doing normal tasks.

Graphics Processor: This computer uses the NVIDIA GeForce GT750M graphics card. The NVIDIA GeForce GT750M is a fast DirectX 11 graphics card around the middle class. Most games as of 2013 can be played fluently on high settings. The power consumption of the GeForce GT750M is around 35 – 40 Watts. This graphics card is best suited for notebooks 15 inches and bigger because of its power consumption. The recommended RAM for this graphics card is 8 Gigabytes. I have been able to play Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3 and GTA 4 on ultra-high video settings with no significant drop in frame rate. The graphics for these games are spectacular, by far looking better than their respective versions on mainstream consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Audio: This laptop has JBL Stereo Speakers with Dolby Digital V4 Audio. The speakers themselves are extremely powerful and loud enough to sufficiently fill a large apartment. They are louder than any other gaming laptop speakers by a longshot. The Dolby Digital V4 Audio enhances the audio experience with three different types of audio effects. These are Video, Music and Gaming. In video mode, dialogue and sound effects become clearer and less interference is heard. In music mode, tones become clearer with different instruments easily standing out and less interference is heard at higher volumes. With the gaming mode on, more emphasis is put on hearing the game world around you. Footsteps sound clearer, direction of sound is noticeable and sounds have more of a slight echo to them. The Y510p's speakers are definitely a very unique factor that sets it apart from most of the competition.

Display: As expected from a gaming laptop, the IdeaPad Y510p has a crisp and vivid LED backlit screen. The 1920px1080p full HD screen really makes colors pop out. Videos and games look especially vibrant and to their best. While watching the Dark Knight in HD I honestly felt as if I was watching the caped crusader through a glass window. Pictures look incredible as well.

Heat: This machine gets pretty hot while gaming. After playing GTA 4 for 20 minutes the touch pad registered 90 degrees, the left side of the keyboard where the hot air vent is registered 100 degrees, and the keyboard registered 97 degrees. Although this might seem very hot, this laptop fares very well against other laptops in its class. The MSI GE60 registered 126 degrees on the underside after playing the same game for 20 minutes and 104 degrees while just watching hulu videos. The IdeaPad Y510P is very cool when performing normal tasks such as web browsing, watching a movie, or Microsoft Office work. The keyboard registers a cool 82 degrees after typing this review for about 30 minutes.

Overall the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P is a great gaming laptop at an affordable price. Even though it is a hefty machine, weighing in at 5.9 pounds, it delivers performance to more than make up for its size. The heat sync performs very well while gaming, keeping this laptop at a manageable temperature and the ergonomic keyboard makes doing everything from battling online to typing an essay relaxing for your wrists and fingers. With an amazing display and great audio, matched up with the GT750M, calls for an incredible gaming machine at a price that cannot be beat. I would hands down recommend this computer to anyone looking to purchase a powerful gaming laptop under a budget.

Christian Calderon

its this laptop really worth it??? which other option are for a similar prize laptop with good performance

Rasmus

Great review :) But apperently NVidia Optimus does work with the Y510P and Y410P! You just take out the graphic card in the ultra bay, and the laptop will automaticly enable Optimus. You give up some graphic power but get great battery time when needed. I feel like this is an important imformation to put in your review.

See http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/724759-y410p-full-review.html (last post on first page)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview