News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Update Dell Precision M6700 Notebook Nvidia Quadro K5000M

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2013, 05:54:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Silence, the second! Dell's Precision M6700 could already convince us with its high performance and agreeable noise development in a first review. Now NVidia's highest performance, professional Quadro K5000M graphics is installed and has to prove for whom this configuration upgrade is really worthwhile. We also closely examined whether the other qualities are not neglected.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-Dell-Precision-M6700-Notebook-Nvidia-Quadro-K5000M.89984.0.html

Hmm

Hmm, I think your score weighting system needs to be reviewed.  This laptop got a score of 89% Very Good, when it can't even cool the CPU sufficiently, which you say in yourself is paramount in a workstation!  Because it's not cooled properly, the CPU becomes throttled, which results in it being completely useless having such a high end CPU in this model - just as you say.  I think this is a fundamental, significant, glaring fault in this laptop & as a result shouldn't get the 89% rating, even if it does so well in the other tests.

Clevo

This laptop is a joke. $10 000 without a real screen ( RGB led ) and throttles cpu when it shouldn't. The display is not only not what it should be at this price range ( or on any machine costing over $2000 ), but it can't even cover sRGB properly.

Anonymous

Your comments are somewhat misinformed. The CPU throttles because there's not enough air below as the stands are low to maintain the slim profile. If you need to run it for prolonged periods at full power, you just need to raise its back or use some notebook stand for that purpose (as the article mentions, there's no throttling in that case). The price mentioned is high as the laptops are configured with 256 GB msata SSD and 512 GB regular SSDs for which Dell charges a premium - I'm sure this alone costs several thousand dollars which can be saved if those are added afterwards. Furthermore, the laptop as configured (without the SSDs, but 32 GB of RAM, RGB screen, K5000M and an XM CPU) can be obtained from the Dell Outlet for about 3000 USD.

Hmm

Quote from: Anonymous on March 23, 2013, 15:21:16
Your comments are somewhat misinformed. The CPU throttles because there's not enough air below as the stands are low to maintain the slim profile. If you need to run it for prolonged periods at full power, you just need to raise its back or use some notebook stand for that purpose (as the article mentions, there's no throttling in that case). The price mentioned is high as the laptops are configured with 256 GB msata SSD and 512 GB regular SSDs for which Dell charges a premium - I'm sure this alone costs several thousand dollars which can be saved if those are added afterwards. Furthermore, the laptop as configured (without the SSDs, but 32 GB of RAM, RGB screen, K5000M and an XM CPU) can be obtained from the Dell Outlet for about 3000 USD.

I don't really agree with what you said there "Anonymous".  Any laptop, especially one that costs $10,000 should be designed to work as is, without the need for the user to purchase a notebook cooler or artificially prop up the back of the notebook.  Plenty of notebooks manage to be designed in such a way that this kind of homemade improvisation is not necessary!  The cooling system just needs to be more efficient.

As to your comment that the price is so high because of the SSD's, then I agree, but the point is the notebook as a whole is being reviewed, including the inclusion of those SSD's and the consequent price they command - it's still a $10,000 notebook whichever way you look at it!  And to spend $10,000 (or $3000 for that matter) on a notebook and then have to prop up the back of it to stop it throttling is insulting to the purchaser & just plain ridiculous!

Alexi G

As a travelling consultant these are the worst laptops. Ive been using Precisions for the last 4 years and have grown tired of the noise, overheating and 1H battery life. The power supply is very very large and causes suspicion whenever you go through security at the airport (allow another 15 minutes as they bomb swab/check/test the power supply just about every time you fly), it also very large and heavy. Not something you want to get out quickly on the train/plane/hotel to write an email or catch up on some work. I also found that  these laptops are only cutting edge for about a year, then midrange laptops exceed them, after 2 years they are out performed by cheap notebooks while you are still carrying around a large outdated brick of a laptop.

dragon788

Has anybody considered that you might be using a docking station when its under full load, which does raise the back a couple centimeters and therefore should make the throttling a non-issue? I don't know many engineers personally that would use a 17" monitor when their paygrade affords them the luxury of 24" or larger LCDs for marking up prints and working with 3D models.

Dell with an H

All specs aside and I do agree with most of the comments here, I'm very disappointed in this system, for the price point its criminal... this is my second workstation, the first one that DELL sent me was problematic right out of the box, spent a week and half on the phone with a tech every night for about 2 to 3 hours and that's not a bit of an exaggeration. Final they offered to just replace it, In hind sight I'd would have bought a different system, I was sold because Dell said this system was the answer to all your multimedia worries, little did I know they'd just be starting. Anyone considering this system think again....

laptop second hand

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview