News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Tab M8 2022 (Gen 3) LTE review - Small tablet or huge smartphone?

Started by Redaktion, January 31, 2023, 14:52:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The third-generation Lenovo Tab M8 with its handy 8-inch format is not only great for kids, users can even use it for making calls if desired. Will the inexpensive tablet also cope well with everyday use?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Tab-M8-2022-Gen-3-LTE-review-Small-tablet-or-huge-smartphone.688475.0.html

Audeo

I just got the nonlte version of this tab with the dock. Love the ease of charging and bedside stand the dock provides. The tab does all I need, comfortable to hold and good performance. On sale, it was a little over $100. Very happy with it!!

Elliot Matz

Elliot Matz <[email protected]>
11:12 PM (26 minutes ago)
to me

I'm a pretty tech-savvy person, and I'm an audiophile and a musicican.  But...

I bought two Lenovo Tab M8 3rd Gen's specifically in order to play music to my two home stereo systems.  I want to stream via wifi from the Internet (Tune-In, Spotify, classical music stations, etc.), and I want to transfer many purchased audio files from my PC or storage devices to the M8's and play them through the stereo systems.  I am able to get the M8's to stream music from online through the tablet to the stereos, and it does sound fine.  But I have NOT been able to transfer files from my desktops, laptop or storage devices onto the M8's.  I have tried copying to the tablets via several USB connector cables (so trge problem is NOT the cables), and via bluetooth.  I keep getting error messages saying "Device has stopped receiving," or "Device no longer connected," like 2 seconds after it had said that the tablet WAS connected. 

I tried calling Lenovo Technical Support.  The first two times, I got women who listened to my issue, asked to put me on hold while they researched, kept me on hold for about 4 minutes each time, and then disconnected me.  No callback, even though they HAD my number because I had registered for a callback from customer service.  Unvelievably frustrating and maddening!

The third time I called, I did get a woman - heavy accent - who listened, put me on hold, and then did get back to me.  I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with her trying different things, having her put me on hold several more times while she researched, and tried more things.  We tried transferring files via USB cable, and via bluetooth.  I kept getting the error messages.  She couldn't figure out why.  Finally she said she didn't have any more suggestions.  When I asked what I was supposed to do then - and I asked if there were any live Lenovo support people anywhere - like at a Lenovo store - to which I could bring the tablets and have them show me how to transfer files onto them in person, she said, "Yes!  Go to the Geek Squad at Best Buy." There is a Best Buy about a 40-minute drive from me, so I reluctantly said OK, I would do that.  She thanked me for my patience, and we said goodbye.

I drove 40 minutes to the Best Buy in Poughkeepsie, NY.  I waited in line to speak with a Geek.  When I finally did, he said that the Geek Squad does repairs, but does NOT help people figure out how to use devices.  He said to contact Lenovo.  When I told him that I already had and that Lenovo sent me to the Geek Squad, he basically shrugged his shoulders.  He said that I could call the 800 number for the Geek Squad and for a fee they would remote into my computer(s) and into the tablet and get it to work.  I may do that (~$50!), but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO???!!!  WHY CAN'T LENOVO UNDERSTAND THEIR OWN DEVICES???  WHY SHOULD I PAY $50 TO HAVE SOMEONE OTHER THAN LENOVO HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY THE M8 ISN'T DOING SOMETHING VERY BASIC??????

I may simply junk the M8's and buy two iPad Mini's, because I KNOW that they can stream everything into my stereo.  But they do a lot of other stuff too that I don't need these two devices to do, and they cost like $400 each.  The M8's cost about $95 apiece and they are SUPPOSED to be able to, at a minimum, simply stream music from online and from stored files.

SO FRUSTRATING!  I may call Lenovo back and try Tech Support one more time.  But this is SH** customer service, and I will be telling people to stay away from Lenovo products, and certainly not to expect any help with products from LENOVO. 

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Elliot Matz on March 28, 2023, 05:41:06I'm a pretty tech-savvy person

Even so, it can be hard to get two devices working together. Maybe you lack some not too difficult, but hard to discover knowledge?

Quoteplay music to my two home stereo systems. I want to stream via wifi from the Internet

I would not know conditions for this to work, either.

Quotetransfer many purchased audio files from my PC or storage devices to the M8's and play them through the stereo systems.

Unless you want to stream from the PC (possibly via a router) via a tablet to your sound system, there would be a two-step process: 1) transfer files from the PC to a tablet, 2) play some of them from a tablet to your sound system.

I have never used Android but I am aware of some things to consider for (1):

- Transfer might be via USB, ethernet (and router), WLAN (via router) or cloud.
- If you use USB, I think that each tablet might need USB-OTG (on the go) rather than just any USB. I am not sure about that but I have read such many times. Cheap tablets might not have OTG.
- To share files from a Windows or Linux PC without third party softwares, there might be several methods. One of them is to share the files from a folder for which you have set an SMB Share (Freigabe in German, maybe the English term in Windows is different from Share). You should use SMB 3. Before transferring files, set your used LAN or WLAN Windows internet connection for the Windows user to the network connection type Public, which allows access to Shares. Possibly also configure your Windows firewall appropriately. On a tablet, refer to the PC's Share stating the protocol smb, Windows user name, IP of your PC and the right password(s). I do not know if it is possible simpler but, if not, you get the idea that it can be much more complicated than any supper stuff would be able to know.

I have had these problems from PC to my iPad. If you consult iPad help documents, you find exactly no information on this. I had to use third party softwares for years until somebody hinted to me about how to configure SMB and until iOS 13 introduced SMB at all and much later actually started working after overcoming countless severe bugs. I do not know if it is simpler or more difficult for Android but older versions of Android might add extra problems, especially since every manufacturer implements less of Android than every other manufacturer, it seems. Especially for cheap devices. Maybe it will never work on your tablets? I cannot know, but is my impression on Android as an outsider. Mind you, I cannot confirm that it would work for you on iPads because there file management does not work for all file types.

Your tasks should just work for all devices but, unfortunately, this is not how things are.

For (2), further aspects have to be considered, such as Miracast and the like.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview