News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Asus Zenbook UX51VZ (U500VZ) Notebook

Started by Redaktion, November 18, 2012, 22:32:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Florent

Great test! can't wait to see it available in France!

According to the support of Asus Germany, a BIOS update will be release soon and will resolve the fan issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/685796-zenbook-u500-announced-15-6-hd-ips-gt650m-quad-core-i7-251.html

It could be interesting to update the review when this BIOS update is available.

Jonathan van Zuijlekom

1. You can use bumblebee to use the nvidia-gpu for specific programs. Having said that, the integrated HD4000 is fast enough for 60fps unity en gpu accelerated Google Chrome.
2. I've upgraded the 4GB stick to a 8GB model for a total of 12GB, working great!
3. My precious Dell XPS 16 had about 75% battery capacity left after 3 years. Modern batteries last way longer than previous models did.

Quote from: Ashish on December 06, 2012, 09:24:10
Few Doubts/Questions:

1. What is the support of the GeForce GT 650M GPU for ubuntu.. i have researched and found that if this notebook's bios doesnt support any option to use nvdia GPU by default.. there is no way that nvdia gpu can be used from ubuntu or for that matter any of the linux distros.. due to the optimus functionality by nvdia which is nothing but auto switchover of the intel/nvdia gpus to optimize performance.Any clarification on this?
2. The ram is 4gb soldered on to the board.. fine but there is one slot on the board that supports removable ram.. so how much ram this notebook suppots? 4+8(pluggable) =12GB ??
3. The battery is also soldered on the board.. as i have experienced in the past the batteries dont last max 1.5-2 years.. so what options do i have for a replacement of the battery dies out.. paid support from asus is also fine... but it should be possible as i dont plan to throw this notebook away say 2 years from now.. atleast 4 years i am planning to use this one.
4. What about the warranaty?? is it 2 years international one?? as its not available in india.. i might be buying from the US for use in india.. so will i get warranty support here in india??

jj

Quote from: Ashish on December 06, 2012, 09:24:10

3. The battery is also soldered on the board.. as i have experienced in the past the batteries dont last max 1.5-2 years.. so what options do i have for a replacement of the battery dies out.. paid support from asus is also fine... but it should be possible as i dont plan to throw this notebook away say 2 years from now.. atleast 4 years i am planning to use this one.

Looks like the battery is removable/replaceable, see the end of this review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF4RYrjLD50

Anders Fjendbo

peter m

I heard that Asus delivers a new BIOS-Update to reduce the fan noise. Could you please review the noise emissions now?

Michael Lang

This is a great laptop for a developer.  The fan noise isn't a problem with mine, purchased in March 2013.  The BIOS update must have already been applied.  See my expanded review for actual usage from a developer.

http://candordeveloper.com/2013/05/07/asus-zenbook-ux51-developer-review/

Arkadiy

This notebook has a major flaw in design - the power hole on the laptop is EXTREMELY faulty/loose. As a result, several people reported that it broke inside, destroying the motherboard with it and ASUS denied the repairs. $2000 wasted. DO NOT BUY THIS.

ruben g.

This Asus is great, however it has a major flaw, and is not in your review. The prblem is it doesn't have a security hole to lock it at the office.

pauln

What an EXCELLENT review - I have just purchased the latest touch screen version 6  Aug 2013 and was looking for a peer comparison to justify my purchase!  The only disappointment is the battery life which is the nature of the beast.  It was a relief and hence my searching the net to find my only other choice Apple having the same battery life in work mode.
Many Thanks Paul.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview