News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Asus Zenbook UX51VZ (U500VZ) Notebook

Started by Redaktion, November 18, 2012, 22:32:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Zen Master. Upscale looks, slim build, and extremely powerful: until now, it was Apple's MacBook series which has managed best to combine these characteristics. With the UX51VZ (IPS display, quad-core CPU, SSD RAID, and a host of other high-end features), Asus sets out to dethrone the master.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-UX51VZ-U500VZ-Notebook.84246.0.html

I K

I was planning on swapping out one of the SSDs for my current 500 GB HDD.

I'm guessing I won't be able to do that with this laptop, right?

John

What about the touch-screen version? You could have at least mentioned it...

MikeI

You do not say what OS this laptop came with. I "upgraded" my Sony L with Win 8, and was very unpleasantly surprised when the fan went high during idle when no programs were running.

Hræsvelgr

Quote from: MikeI on November 20, 2012, 06:23:25
You do not say what OS this laptop came with. I "upgraded" my Sony L with Win 8, and was very unpleasantly surprised when the fan went high during idle when no programs were running.
right side:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Bit
Acer TravelMate 5720 | T9300 | HD2600 | 3GB DDR2 600mhz | 320GB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 04/2008
läuft wie am ersten Tag, ergonomische Tastatur - Dank an Acer!

Schenker XMG P722 | i7-3820QM | GTX680M | 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 10/2012
Schön verpackte Endlospower

enyan

Till Schönborn

We cannot provide any information about a possible touch version at the moment.

gitram

Loud fans that are always on? Proprietary SSD and WLAN card connections that prevent upgrades? "OK" screen? All that for a very hefty price?
No thank you ASUS.

Kristos

Is it possible to upgrade the memory? 8GB seems well.. a bit 2011  :-)
So far I've seen inconclusive reports/statements of this.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: Kristos on November 22, 2012, 15:34:21
Is it possible to upgrade the memory? 8GB seems well.. a bit 2011  :-)
So far I've seen inconclusive reports/statements of this.

4GB RAM is integrated and cannot be removed. You can add an 8GB RAM module onto the one available RAM slot for a total of 12GB (4 + 8). This particular review unit has a 4GB module for a total of 8GB (4 + 4)

MikeI

Hi,
Regarding my post #3 and your reply as #4, I do think that Win8 is the "culprit" behind a noisy fan. To make sure, Win7 should be tried with the subject Zen book. I think Win8 is doing some extra background work and heats up the processor (real high, too).
On my web site I get stats about visitor's OS and Win8 is below 2% (end of Nov 2012). With problems you and I describe, Win8 is getting noticed by a different kind of fans.
Mike I.

Pieter

Given the lack of upgrade options (SSD), restriction on RAM (4Gb soldered) and the lack of eSATA, then the Gigbyte P2542G looks like a very good dead: mSATA SSD, eSATA connector, RAM upgradable fully, and an nVidia GTX 660 to boot.  And 500 Euros cheaper.  Only serious downside is the fan noise.  Now, when will they release this in the Netherlands?

Foo

Can someone confirm this laptop's BIOS has an Intel OROM with ATA TRIM passthrough support in RAID (i.e. v11.5 or higher)? This has major speed and SSD lifespan implications. Also if switching to AHCI mode is possible so you can break up the array and do SSD firmware updates/Secure Erase - or run the laptop in single device mode and choose which one you want to boot from (should also be helpful in case one of them fails, at least you can still use the laptop).

I would also like to know how well this laptop supports XP (which has issues with some newer UEFI implementations and controllers).

Shame about the fan noise and proprietary SSD setup, otherwise this would be my perfect laptop. I'm especially underwhelmed by the choice for SandForce controllers, which are rather buggy (especially the first generation, irreparable bricking on power loss and the like). On the flip side, if you get Sandisk instead, your storage speed will drop quite a bit. mSATA connectors would have fixed these issues.

HopelesslyFaithful

Something you guy's need to start doing is calibrating the screens to see how much of an improvement there is and if its worth doing. This screen might turn out to be wonderful after it is calibrated

Ashish

Few Doubts/Questions:

1. What is the support of the GeForce GT 650M GPU for ubuntu.. i have researched and found that if this notebook's bios doesnt support any option to use nvdia GPU by default.. there is no way that nvdia gpu can be used from ubuntu or for that matter any of the linux distros.. due to the optimus functionality by nvdia which is nothing but auto switchover of the intel/nvdia gpus to optimize performance.Any clarification on this?
2. The ram is 4gb soldered on to the board.. fine but there is one slot on the board that supports removable ram.. so how much ram this notebook suppots? 4+8(pluggable) =12GB ??
3. The battery is also soldered on the board.. as i have experienced in the past the batteries dont last max 1.5-2 years.. so what options do i have for a replacement of the battery dies out.. paid support from asus is also fine... but it should be possible as i dont plan to throw this notebook away say 2 years from now.. atleast 4 years i am planning to use this one.
4. What about the warranaty?? is it 2 years international one?? as its not available in india.. i might be buying from the US for use in india.. so will i get warranty support here in india??

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview