News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Dell Inspiron 17R-SE-7720 Notebook

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2012, 09:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Special Edition! Apart from the name, our test device no longer has much in common with the older generations that we reviewed. The newest hardware technology is packed in a new outfit. The add-on SE for Special Edition refers to the extra performance reserves in contrast to the standard Inspiron 17R.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-17R-SE-7720-Notebook.80063.0.html

Aashis

I was waiting of Dell inspiron 17r special edition review. I like the way u present it.....
But there is one more model available with 32gb ssd and 3d display....
Please give a review of that model too.

J

Is the DVD drive modular? Does it have an express card or a finger print reader?

Ben T

This model now seems to be available with an additional mSATA SSD to supplement the regular HDD, and is still quite affordable. This seems to be an excellent option at the price point as currently it is available (in the US at least) for around 900-1100 dollars including the SSD, depending on the total load out. Still Dell does not offer many options to customize it specifically.

OC-Freak

What LCD panel do the test model have? Couldn't find it in the review. It could come with at least two different panel, one from Chi Mei (CMN1720) and one from LG-Philips (LGD02DA).

bladteth

OC-Freak, judging by measured parameters, it looks nearly identical to Chi Mei panels used in MSI GE70, Samsung 700Z7C and Asus G75VW (non-3D).

bladteth

J,the optical drive can be replaced easily. Firstly, you remove base cover and a tiny screw that holds the drive in the chassis. After sliding it out, all you need to do is to remove bezel and securing bracket and that's it.

mattias

you have really forgot one thing......you not mention there is a true life 3D screen here....i have it myself...........this screen is pretty much better then the standard one.......also comes with bluray.

Marsubleu

I think there are two bays for HDD. This gives big potential, for one SSD as main and the initial 1Tb HDD as secondary storage. Hopefully is is as accessible as the first bay!
Can't wait to receive mine...

Frans van den Berge

I've just examined this standard 17R on wich I type this message. It has the i7 and is simply fast. This one has one hdd of 1 TB. The connector for an msata disk is easily accesible through two screws as seen in the pictures. But the second hdd 's connector is not present. So it isn't possible to connect a second harddisk outside the msata. But those ssd msata's are really affordable so a great aftermarket upgrade.

Dario

Very nice review!
I have a couple of questions, are all the storage disks ports (both 2.5 " and the mSATA) SATA III? Because afaik the HM77 only supports two SATA III ports
And does it come with the second caddy for the 2.5" bay? Can it be installed right away?

Robert Holsting

Hi, Having just bought mine: What a mashine!
One question though: Is a normal behaviour that the speakers "pink-noice" (Hissing kind of sound) a little RIGHT after power-on, before Win starts to load?
Rgds, Robert, Denmark

Robert Holsting

Quote from: Dario on September 26, 2012, 10:39:49
And does it come with the second caddy for the 2.5" bay? Can it be installed right away?

Just looked inside mine, and yes! The metal bracket for the HDD, second 2,5" slot is there.

bladteth

Quote from: Robert Holsting on September 27, 2012, 14:12:00One question though: Is a normal behaviour that the speakers "pink-noice" (Hissing kind of sound) a little RIGHT after power-on, before Win starts to load?

This is fairly common hardware problem with 7720, unfortunately. Some folks had their motherboards, speakers and power supplies exchanged under warranty. My 17R SE has the same issue, but since it is a refurb, it is going back to the factory for a refund. Contact Dell and they will sort it out. You may try getting rid of audio drivers and let Win7 install generic driver first to see if that helps.

Dennis -

Can it run 3 independent displays with different content? (a VGA screen and a HDMI screen...). I found that the HD4000 graphics, Geforce GT650M and the intel HM77 chipset in this laptop should be able to do the job, but as i understand there may be other hardware components in place that limit this ability. Or can every laptop with a GT650M and a VGA and HDMI port run  3 independent displays?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview