News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Is Windows really getting worse?

Started by TahuluLimia, June 10, 2024, 12:13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

TahuluLimia

There seems to be a widespread belief in tech circles that Windows has deteriorated with each new version. As a long-time Windows user since XP, the only major drawbacks I notice are UI changes and reduced support for older hardware. However, these don't seem like true drawbacks to me, given the continuous advancement in hardware and the need for Microsoft to adapt to technological and aesthetic changes. While I did find Windows 8's touchscreen interface unsuitable for desktops, Microsoft acknowledged this and corrected it in later versions.

Does anyone else share this perspective, or are there other significant issues I'm overlooking?

RobertJasiek

After a fresh Windows 7 installation, I needed 3 hours to configure security and privacy. With every subsequent Windows version, it has become increasingly worse. With Windows 10 and 11, I needed weeks to inform myself about good configurations of security and privacy so that then, after a fresh Windows installation, I can configure both within one day, taming almost all telemetry. Besides, Windows 7 did not need later checks while Windows 10 and 11 need later checks whether major Windows updates reactivate some telemetry without user consent.

Compared to Windows 10, Windows 11 has introduced a few new bugs, which have not been fixed yet. The most annoying bug does not always log off users properly.

After debloating configuration, the Windows 11 GUI is still slightly bloated, especially the empty start menu is ridiculously large. Not nice, but I can live with the GUI.

Microsoft ought to have simply adapted Windows 7 to newer hardware.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview