News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Envy x360 2-in-1 16 review: Ryzen 7 8840HS beats Core Ultra 7 155U

Started by Redaktion, May 22, 2024, 19:35:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The latest 16-inch Envy gets the x360 treatment to be an effective midrange solution in between the Pavilion x360 15 and Spectre x360 16. It comes in both Intel and AMD variants to satisfy users on both sides of the pond.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-x360-2-in-1-16-review-Ryzen-7-8840HS-beats-Core-Ultra-7-155U.837856.0.html

SMF317

I just want to commend you on your decision to do this comparison. I too recently compared the two HP Envy X360 variants along with the HP Spectre 16. In general, the AMD version is simply excellent (and more easily supports Linux if needed). However, TB4 is a big requirement so the Intel chipset might be essential. Very disappointed that HP opted for the 155U for the 14" and 16" Envy laptops - that means the HP Spectre with its 155H is the only reasonable option. The quality of the webcam on the HP Spectre though is nearly worth the price difference. I'm being slightly sarcastic but it is a great built-in webcam. The build quality is exceptional on the Spectre line but I found the 14" Spectre better than the larger 16". At the moment I am torn about which screen I prefer, the lower resolution 16" Envy AMD with the 780M or the higher resolution 16" Spectre with *only* the ARC gpu (no Nvidia). To me that is the best apples-to-apples comparison and both are true winners!

Stefan_san

As usual, laptop vendors intentionally kneecap their AMD models because ??? Let's see:
  • no USB 4, Slow HDMI, no SD reader
  • smaller battery than Intel model
  • MAX 16GB Soldered memory
  • Base 8640HS version is limited to 8GB Soldered memory - this is BEYOND absurdity
  • No fingerprint reader/biometrics
  • 16 Inch device with only 1 M.2 slot, max 1TB from HP, so you might have to replace IMMEDIATELY

This is completely repulsive by HP.
Nobody ever learns anything in this industry.

P.S. Notebookcheck, I don't understand your claim of DC Dimming on this one. You wrote: "Pulse-width modulation is present on all brightness levels including the maximum setting. Its frequency would stay constant 492 Hz throughout the entire brightness range" - this is NOT DC Dimming

Hotz

Quote from: Stefan_san on May 24, 2024, 19:05:50... Base 8640HS version is limited to 8GB Soldered memory - this is BEYOND absurdity

Nobody ever learns anything in this industry.

This sh1tshow has been going on since forever since laptops existed. I don't think the industry is as dumb in reality. They probably do this on purpose. All brands. 

You can find an utterly dumb flaw on almost any laptop. And I'm not talking about a neglectable flaw, but a flaw that stands out as really dumb. And this dumb flaw cannot be explained by reason or logic. It's impossible that this thing could have been overlooked during the design, testing, manufacturing process. Even the biggest idiot would have realized it. And yet it's there.

Hotz

to correct myself: well it can be explained by logic and reason (it must, otherwise it wouldn't make sense), but the reasoning behind isn't a mind that wants good things for the customer. That mind wants to confuse the customer, make him unhappy with his purchase, buy something more expensive, buy something "better" soon after that. But the next you buy a "better" notebook, you'll soon find out it just contains another inexplicable, utterly dumb flaw.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview