News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft-approved website shows how well Windows games run on Snapdragon X series ARM processors

Started by Redaktion, May 22, 2024, 08:47:29

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertJasiek

Windows Defender is a two-sided thing: it has some useful features (incl., as you mention, now also coupled with the Windows Firewall) and some bad features (telemetry).

QuoteYou also didn't block unicast response which is mandatory to do in (Windows Defender) Firewall (it's "yes" by default). Outbound connections go on block all, allow only necessary stuff.

Surely I do not know everything... Please explain why unicast response should be deactivated!

QuoteI'm really not sure why are you against SU10++

You have described it as being useless because much is undone by Windows quickly. Not so with my manual settings: almost all of them have been permanent for years, except for some major Windows updates, especially during the early Windows 10 years or when fresh installing Windows 11 over Windows 10.

QuoteI mean Microsoft is still uncapable to fix KB5034441 in Windows 10 for 7 months at this point and if you want to manually fix it there's a high probability to brick your whole Win10 installation.

Indeed, I have also been suffering on my W10 PC.

Neenyah

Quote from: RobertJasiek on May 22, 2024, 15:44:44Surely I do not know everything... Please explain why unicast response should be deactivated!
I'm outside currently on a phone so I will, for now, reply only on this here. Check this thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/6mejze/benefit_of_prohibiting_unicast_response_to/ - top comment specifically which explains it efficiently in a couple of words.

Hotz

Quote from: RobertJasiek on May 22, 2024, 13:50:48
Quote from: Neenyah on May 22, 2024, 13:13:29ShutUp10++

If this is your level of configuration, you fail. One needs to configure without using softwares

Honestly, I think it's OK to use it. Windows 10+ has become a nightmare to configure for privacy. Windows 7 was the last one where configuration was still possible for the Average Joe without any deepdiving. But afterwards that was over. While I'm not too happy about using a 3rd party tool, it gets the Job done fairly quick and easy.

Yes, a Windows Update may disable some settings again, but you just have to remember to execute ShutUp10++ afterwards to recheck your settings. For private users I would also recommend to do Windows Updates only manually every couple of months, so they have "peace" in the meantime.

George

While it is good to see that MS is working on getting Windows Games on ARM IMHO:

- the <= 60 FPS comes from Console gaming, some titles are fine at 30FPS, others not so much
- WIN11 "bloatware", forgetting the "features" that turn themselves back on just peek at the size of the KERNEL!! Every version of WIN has a larger kernel footprint then the previous version.

"Stock" WIN has countless 'services' running that the end user may (and likely WON'T) have any need or use for. I generally expect & set aside 1-2hrs for every new WIN powered device to 'clean up' the OS.

Granted IDK what others are currently experiencing with their new PC's, there was a time in the not to distant past that it might of required ALL DAY to rid your new PC of ALL THE BLOATWARE the OEM had included on it.

My WINBoxes run in VERY sheltered environments. They only get powered up to run a program *I* need (only runs on WIN) and only get LAN/WAN access when I wish to install a new Steam Game.

Many of use want to simply USE our computers and NOT constantly FIGHT Microsoft over what is running (or NOT!) on it!

john_the_clown

I'm most interested to see (if) AVX instructions are supported. This is a requirement on many modern games and AFAIK none of the games listed in any tests require AVX instructions - this is a big issue in apple silicon MacOS with Wine being unable to run any games with AVX instructions due to ARM licensing limitations.  Would definitely hold off on ARM based computers if this isn't addressed, I really hope it will be. 

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview